Blue Wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if anyone here has any experience with this stuff. I got a tube of the bore cleaner gel as a Christmas stocking present (25 years old and still the 'rent's little boy..
grin.gif
). Results after a little range time, ~150-200 rounds fired:

-

No before picture, just the usual carbon/copper junk, kick myself for not taking a picture before though. Barrel is from a Springfield XD-40 Standard. WWB FMJ rounds. I was impressed with how easy it dissolved the crud, much better than CLP and Hoppes which I've used for years. Started using the Armadillo wax too on my handgun and a few pocket knives with bead-blasted finishes with great results too.

I've used BW since it first came out, got a test sample, and have used it ever since. Have used it on old guns which I thought were dead and actually brought them back.
Their blueing is a good product also.

That picture above got me a whole gun care kit courtesy of their VP, Bob Price. I'm testing their lubricant on a few tactical folders, nothing I've found yet seems to last long without attaching lint and dust to the pivots and that's also easily available. The wax does a great job keeping small rust spots off of blades with bead blasted finishes. Used to have a terrible time with a Benchmade EDC developing little spots of rust near the thumb stud after a few days.

I have used Blue Wonder. It seems to work pretty good on gun barrels. The only thing I don't like about it is the ammonia smell. By the way, it is supposed to have something like only about 1% ammonia in the product.

Ammonia is the typical chemical used to remove copper, and products vary quite a bit in how much they have. I use to have a small Nalgene container with 'strong ammonia', donated by the chem lab at a place that I use to work at, and it worked very well. Run a patch soaked with the stuff, let it soak a few minutes, run another patch, let it soak, etc., until you run out of copper (no blue on the patch) or patience. Then run clean, dry patches thru, and then BreakFree or whatever. Older rifles with lots of rounds thru them will always produce blue patches, and some shooters would plug at the breech and then soak the barrel overnight, every night until it came out clean.

I have 2 used containers of Blue Wonder and I am going to make them last as long as possible. There is an ammonia smell so I use the stuff outdoors. I figure if I clean copper out of the gun barrel 1 time a year I can make the two tubes last for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back