2020 Cadillac XT4 rental review

We found ourselves in need of a bit more luggage space for this Christmas vacation, so I booked a standard size "CUV", (Nissan Rogue or similar). Upon arriving at the lot there were only two SUV's. A 2019 or 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander and a 2020 Cadillac XT4 (at the time thought it was the XT5). Long story short for $30 we upgraded and got the Cadillac. Thinking ahead to our 8 hour journey, a Cadillac just seemed much more appropriate in terms of comfort for the long drive ahead. For $30 it was a no brainer.

Trunk space was my main concern, so I had the agent open both trunks and surprisingly I found them visually very similar, even with the 3rd row down on the Mitsubishi.

Fast forward past check in, leaving the lot the initial acceleration left me a bit disappointed. The 9 speed transmission lets the 2.0 Turbo rev out to over 3,000 rpm easily with little torque. Its not until the higher gears that it holds the revs low and you feel the turbo working. I'm used to our VW that keeps revs low allowing you to use the torque from the turbo in the lower rpm range. The only way I found to bypass that was using the paddle shifters and upshifting before the transmission would on it's own, utilizing more of the available low RPM torque.

Transmission performance also gets a "meh" rating from me. Again I didn't care for the high revs off the line with little power to show from it, and shifts were slow and even clunky at times. I know this isn't a sport CUV but with todays tech I don't see why they couldn't program it to have more direct shifts.

Ride quality is good considering this has a relatively short wheel base, both city and highway driving provided decent handling and low road noise. The cabin had no noticeable rattles and everything seemed to be put together reasonably well.

Materials used were generally high quality, and the interior design is simplistic and easy to use.

One of my main complaints would be the gas mileage, or lack thereof. Even with the low revving 2.0 at highway speeds, it only seemed eek out 28 MPG. Another area of disappointment was braking. You really had to push the brake pedal harder than you should to come to a stop. I am not a fan of overly boosted brakes as they feel too artificial, but I'm afraid Cadillac swung to far the other way with this one.

I can't say that I am well versed in the small luxury CUV segment, but overall I was pleasantly surprised by this XT4. It goes back to the agency tomorrow night. I can post pictures later if anyone is interested.

Some interior photos

Attachments

• F0572DCB-3128-47B1-923B-7A03471CAA4C.jpeg
    F0572DCB-3128-47B1-923B-7A03471CAA4C.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 541ED09C-5D7B-4AE3-82E5-D4627ACB999C.jpeg
    541ED09C-5D7B-4AE3-82E5-D4627ACB999C.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 90
  • 6E667210-1EB4-4BD4-BA50-3C09965D422B.jpeg
    6E667210-1EB4-4BD4-BA50-3C09965D422B.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 120CB6DD-921A-4168-97C8-E623E1B29BAF.jpeg
    120CB6DD-921A-4168-97C8-E623E1B29BAF.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 101
We found ourselves in need of a bit more luggage space for this Christmas vacation, so I booked a standard size "CUV", (Nissan Rogue or similar). Upon arriving at the lot there were only two SUV's. A 2019 or 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander and a 2020 Cadillac XT4 (at the time thought it was the XT5). Long story short for $30 we upgraded and got the Cadillac. Thinking ahead to our 8 hour journey, a Cadillac just seemed much more appropriate in terms of comfort for the long drive ahead. For $30 it was a no brainer.

Trunk space was my main concern, so I had the agent open both trunks and surprisingly I found them visually very similar, even with the 3rd row down on the Mitsubishi.

Fast forward past check in, leaving the lot the initial acceleration left me a bit disappointed. The 9 speed transmission lets the 2.0 Turbo rev out to over 3,000 rpm easily with little torque. Its not until the higher gears that it holds the revs low and you feel the turbo working. I'm used to our VW that keeps revs low allowing you to use the torque from the turbo in the lower rpm range. The only way I found to bypass that was using the paddle shifters and upshifting before the transmission would on it's own, utilizing more of the available low RPM torque.

Transmission performance also gets a "meh" rating from me. Again I didn't care for the high revs off the line with little power to show from it, and shifts were slow and even clunky at times. I know this isn't a sport CUV but with todays tech I don't see why they couldn't program it to have more direct shifts.

Ride quality is good considering this has a relatively short wheel base, both city and highway driving provided decent handling and low road noise. The cabin had no noticeable rattles and everything seemed to be put together reasonably well.

Materials used were generally high quality, and the interior design is simplistic and easy to use.

One of my main complaints would be the gas mileage, or lack thereof. Even with the low revving 2.0 at highway speeds, it only seemed eek out 28 MPG. Another area of disappointment was braking. You really had to push the brake pedal harder than you should to come to a stop. I am not a fan of overly boosted brakes as they feel too artificial, but I'm afraid Cadillac swung to far the other way with this one.

I can't say that I am well versed in the small luxury CUV segment, but overall I was pleasantly surprised by this XT4. It goes back to the agency tomorrow night. I can post pictures later if anyone is interested.
My son got an Outlander as a rental while his truck was in the body shop.
He found it to be a pretty good vehicle that he drove for 3 weeks and said if he had to buy an SUV it would be on the shopping list.

My son got an Outlander as a rental while his truck was in the body shop.
He found it to be a pretty good vehicle that he drove for 3 weeks and said if he had to buy an SUV it would be on the shopping list.
Their interiors are sub par to the competition, with cheap materials being used. There are just better options available. Might be solid cars otherwise though. Another reason I avoided it was due to the power train, a N/A 4 cylinder paired to a CVT doesn't exactly move an SUV around in any sort of quick fashion.

Kinda of plain for a luxury brand.
My 2018 Elantra GT looks more upscale.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. I find it to be simplistic, elegant and mature.

EDIT: I just looked up interior photos for the Hyundai you referenced, it certainly has more "going on" but that's not necessarily a good thing. I disagree with your assessment that it looks more upscale. Again, beauty is subjective.

I like the size and style of these but i can't wrap my head around a GM that doesn't come with a pushrod V8. The Cadillac Lyriq looks like it may have potential in a few years.

Looks a little low-rent for my liking. Also, the touchscreen looks like an android tablet from Best Buy glued to the dash. I'd expect more from Caddy.
For me, the Germans do it best. I just had low expectations for a GM product and was pleasantly surprised. I think this would be an ideal vehicle for a retired family of 2.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. I find it to be simplistic, elegant and mature.

EDIT: I just looked up interior photos for the Hyundai you referenced, it certainly has more "going on" but that's not necessarily a good thing. I disagree with your assessment that it looks more upscale. Again, beauty is subjective.
Got to be better than that crap VW makes. 😄😄😄😄

I like the size and style of these but i can't wrap my head around a GM that doesn't come with a pushrod V8. The Cadillac Lyriq looks like it may have potential in a few years.
You mention size. From the exterior it looks like it would be small and cramped, but we found the interior to have plenty of room. I think this is a great size for many. Not to big, not to small, just right.

Back