Blowing fuses on Scag

My Scag Turf Tiger (61", Kohler Command Pro 25, vintage 2001) has two Bussmann automotive type fuses, one 20A and one 30A. The 20A has blown 3 times and the 30A twice over the past five years. Is this normal? If not, any ideas what might be wrong?

Check your grounds. Make sure they are tight and there is no paint under them. Look for bare wires that may be rubbing against metal parts.

Blow fuses are never normal but it happens for a number of reasons, shorts, overload, etc but the replacement fuses can also be at fault in a repeated failure scenario. Cheap fuses like those on Amazon or HF are notorious for poor rating, If it doesn't have white numbers then chances are they are junk and should be replaced.

The blue Bussmann has white numbers, the red one is cheap Chicom junk.

715NF0pEKpL._AC_UL320_SR238,320_.jpg

81LniQ0L-0L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

I agree , look for bare wires . Also may have a failing component .

Also , make sure you have the correct fuse in the correct spot / place .

Last edited:
Those are pretty healthy circuits for a lawnmower. What electrical devices are they feeding?

Amperage blows fuses. Look for something shorting to ground. ...Tell me you don't OCD power wash your stuff. Water can get into wiring and cause gremlins. even after the water evaporates the contaminates can pass current. Vibrations can also cause the filament to become weak and blow.

Blow fuses are never normal but it happens for a number of reasons, shorts, overload, etc but the replacement fuses can also be at fault in a repeated failure scenario. Cheap fuses like those on Amazon or HF are notorious for poor rating, If it doesn't have white numbers then chances are they are junk and should be replaced.

The blue Bussmann has white numbers, the red one is cheap Chicom junk.

View attachment 26830
View attachment 26831
Trav...that's a great tip on the fuses! (Not just for lawnmowers.)
Thank you.

Thanks all! The battery is new and holds its charge. I don't wash the mower with water, and the fuses have white numbers (some were bought at Napa). No idea what components these fuses are protecting.

When I installed a new PTO switch last month (2nd in three years) I noticed five wires in the control box with bare sections, i.e. insulation worn or corroded off. The wires were tightly bound and did not appear to be able to touch any metal or other wires, but I taped them anyhow. This was before the latest fuse blew. I'll have to look for more exposed or loose wires.

Check underneath around the interlock switches and the blade clutch. Test blade clutch with an ohmmeter or clamp on amp meter to confirm it's not drawing too much current. They can be partially shorted.

If it was a deere I'd probably look at the electric pto for the mower deck (think someone called it blade clutch above)

they get old and crusty and draw too much power.

but since you have multiple circuits failing.. probably shorting out somewhere.

Thanks all! The battery is new and holds its charge. I don't wash the mower with water, and the fuses have white numbers (some were bought at Napa). No idea what components these fuses are protecting.

When I installed a new PTO switch last month (2nd in three years) I noticed five wires in the control box with bare sections, i.e. insulation worn or corroded off. The wires were tightly bound and did not appear to be able to touch any metal or other wires, but I taped them anyhow. This was before the latest fuse blew. I'll have to look for more exposed or loose wires.
Try some heat shrink or some food electrical tape ( Scotch ) on the 5 wires , individually .

Back