Oil for MTD 11a-020l706 (20" push)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased this small MTD and an echo srm-225 trimmer to keep on site at one of my properties for grounds maintenance.

Not having used anything other than commercial wright standers and scags (which I was/am not in control of maintaining) I have not cared much for small engines. This is a mower which I would like to keep going at least three years if possible, it was purchased new at a steep discount ($95) assembled. After I checked the assembly and sharpened the blade properly (it was unused but I am a sharpening nut) I had her running like a dream. She has done about 4 hours of lawn now after a month and I am going to go ahead and change the oil.

As far as the website of briggs and stratton advises:

sae30 straight for 40f and higher (but will cause hard start at below)
10w-30 for o to 100f (but says oil consumption will increase above 80f
synthetic 5w-30 for -20f to 120f (says best for all temps)
5w-30 (winter or cold conditions)
-------------------------------------------------------------

(from website)

our in the correct amount and approved type of oil for your engine, based on this oil capacity chart , or your operator manual. If you have two oil fill plugs (normally yellow or white in color) on each side of the engine, either one can be used to fill the engine with oil to the correct level. Please DO NOT fill the engine with oil without using the correct measuring device as illustrated in your operator’s manual.

To optimize engine performance, use Warranty Certified Briggs & Stratton Small Engine Oil. Briggs & Stratton offers a Synthetic 5W-30 oil that provides the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption.

For optimum performance, you should change the oil in your small engine after the first five hours of use and then annually, or every 50 hours of use (whichever comes first).

Use Briggs & Stratton SAE 30W Oil above 40°F (4°C) for all of our engines.
Check oil level regularly.
Air-cooled engines burn about an ounce of oil per cylinder, per hour.
Fill to mark on dipstick. DO NOT OVERFILL.

----------------------------

What type of 10w30 or synth 5w30 should I be looking at for this application?

I like the idea of an hdeo like a rotella or something. Is this a bad idea?

I do want to advise that this mower is used weekly or twice a week and does blow a small PUFF of smoke upon its first start of the day. I push the prime button two or three times and first or second pull she blows an initial puff of smoke out, but no smoke while running at all. I am not worried, but I am assuming that is oil burning? I am guessing from my research that this will use about an ounce of oil per hour?

The echo srm-225 weedwacker (highly recommended in the straight shaft models) runs like a dream on standard mixed fuel, and this little mower loves straight premium 93octane. The Filter is nice and clean and oiled and for the $ this is a great little mower I would like to keep going well.

I purchased this model because I did not want a self propelled, or a large wheel or a bagging model. I sharpen the blades so well for my friends and family that the grass is just cut clean like a razor. My other mower is a push model 6.5hp briggs engine sears craftsman, purchased new in 2004 and cutting as good as ever.

JC

Last edited:
I have a very similar model - after two years of mfg's oil, this year I put in some Mobil-1 5w30 and the mower is running cooler, starts smoother, and burns essentially no oil.

Currently running Rotella T5 10W-30 in two Briggs engines and Amsoil 10W-30 4 stroke Small Engine oil in two honda engines,one powermore engine without any issues.

Last edited:
FYI, I own a small engine shop. Do about 200 oil changes a year on various small engines. Stick with Briggs #1 recommendation, which is SYNTHETIC 5W30. SYNTHETIC 10W30 works great too. If you don't want to use synthetic, then whatever SAE30 detergent oil floats your boat is the second best option. I don't recommend conventional multi-weight oils in these 148cc flat head engines as they seem to consume like the dickens and offer no real benefit over the other 2 choices above.

The puff of smoke can be two things. Either your oil is slightly overfilled, which causes it to seep past the rings into the combustion chamber, or more likely, just excess fuel being burned from the primer bulb pumps. Try two pumps next time and see if that is enough fuel and maybe it wont smoke at start up.

Going to go with some 5w30 pennzoil platinum full syn tonight and see how she runs tomorrow.

Bubba and flight, appreciate the help in detail.

Any other tips for keeping her and/or my weedwackers engines in top shape?

JC

Originally Posted By: Jameson
Going to go with some 5w30 pennzoil platinum full syn tonight and see how she runs tomorrow.

Bubba and flight, appreciate the help in detail.

Any other tips for keeping her and/or my weedwackers engines in top shape?

JC

Any starting issues I've ever had were from old fuel. In the fall, I empty the fuel tanks and run them dry. Then I give them fogging oil following the instructions on the can. If you find you're not using more than a half-gallon a season, consider buying the canned 2-stroke fuel. It has no alcohol like pump gas, and is blended correctly for your application.
You should also look at the exhaust port and keep it clean. When you fog the engine, clean and re-gap the plug, and use dielectric grease on the boot.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This is a splash-lubed engine?
Then it really doesn't matter.

This. Splash lubed small engines don't really seem to care much what oil is in them, as long as they have oil in them. Many people here just use whatever they happen to have on hand and it works great.

I use about two tanks of fuel (it has a .225 gal tank) to do the property.

The day I buy premixed/precanned fuel at $28 per gallon is the day I stop changing my own oil and hire a caddy to carry my fishing rods.

To be honest, I don't understand why this stuff sells. I go through two tanks of weedwacker mix per cut/use. That would be $7 just to do the weedwacking. At that point, hiring someone would become cost effective to maintain the property. As it is, I made my money back on my new mower/trimmer in 6 weeks/cuts. I bought the equipment to SAVE money and to do a better job of grooming. Buying pre-canned fuel and/or mix, in my mind, is the epitome of laziness.

JC

JC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back