Bloody Marys

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, and I'm definitely not alone in this, a good bloody mary is a common Sunday drink for me. Just seems to work with a noon kickoff football game.
smile.gif

I have a favorite pre-made mix called Zing Zang. It's been the best one I've tasted so far. I am going to try the Harley-Davidson mix one of these days though, just because I'm a H-D nut.
I add some extra celery salt and worcestershire sauce to the spicy Zing Zang, and it doesn't need any additional hot sauce to be "just right".

When making my own at home, I'll use V-8 juice instead of plain tomato. Just adds a better flavor. Plain tomato juice is too blah. I make a simple yet tasty bloody mary...
Pint beer glass, add ice cubes, vodka, 3-4 generous dashes of worcestershire sauce (I prefer Heinz), a couple good shakes of celery salt, fill glass with V-8, a little fresh ground black pepper, and Lousiana hot sauce to taste.
I like green olives, and a celery stick as garnish, but I've had "loaded" ones with beef jerky, shrimp, and all sorts of other veggies, but I can live without all that.

Any other good bloody mary recipes that might interest me?

I like Bloody Marys every now and then, but I'm not usually ambitious enough to mix my own. I've tried Zing Zang premix, and it's good. I actually like mine a little less bold, so I cut it some with plain tomato juice. Are there any other premixes worth trying?

OK, guys. Zing Zang IS pretty good. Whatever mix you use, be it prefab or homemade, try making your Mary's with gin or tequila instead of vodka. It will give you pause. Both spirits have a certain savory backbone to them that will enhance your enjoyment of the drink. Even better, try a mezcal (a good one with no "worm" in it).

Give it a shot and, please, post your impressions.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
OK, guys. Zing Zang IS pretty good. Whatever mix you use, be it prefab or homemade, try making your Mary's with gin or tequila instead of vodka. It will give you pause. Both spirits have a certain savory backbone to them that will enhance your enjoyment of the drink. Even better, try a mezcal (a good one with no "worm" in it).

Give it a shot and, please, post your impressions.

OK, I'll give it a shot, but you have to recommend a premix for me to try other than Zing Zang. Is Mr. & Mrs. T's any good?

Because of the impressive ingredient list and the 100% juice content, I picked up a bottle of Smirnoff premix today. It wasn't nearly as bold and flavorful as the Zing Zang, but it was very refreshing and easy to drink. I found it desirable to add a few cranks from the pepper grinder and a couple dashes of A1. I tried it with gin, and I wasn't terribly impressed. If you like alot of lemon and/or lime juice in your Bloody Mary, you'd probably like it with gin.

We like the Smirnoff with a scoop of horseradish! It's certainly ok, and it travels well.

I make my own mix for parties, and it is very easy. Plus you can alter the recipe as you see fit. Due to the high acidity it also stores very well.

Yeah, there is a local dive bar in my village, that makes them using which v-8 you like either the low sodium or hot n spicy. I get the v-8 hot n spicy, and they use either stoly or grey goose vodka and a couple dashes of McIlhenny hot sauce and their secret is to use a couple dashes of worchestishire and couple dashes of A-1 Steak sauce. They are delicious and for $3 you cant go wrong.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
You had me at $3.
The bar I frequent has "build your own" bloodys for $3 every Sunday. They hand you a glass with ice and rail (Gordon's) vodka, and you add your choice of premade mixes or tomato juice, and mix-ins.

When it's not build your own day, they make them using worcestershire, celery salt, a little A-1, Tabasco, pickle juice, tomato juice, and a squeeze of lemon. I don't like the pickle juice in them, and can live without the lemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back