Homemade Sangria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Winter I'm having down here...NOT!

Mosquitos are already out, weak cool fronts wobble in, give me a few days of nice weather, then it's back to Southerly flow off the Gulf, low/mid 80°F (in the shade) and humidity...as if I don't have enough Summer here already.

You guys in Manitoba having a warmer-than-usual-Winter? How about Alberta? Not enough cold air to spare?

Point is, very unusual to already be making Sangria in March, much less February. And eating nachos, burgers, and other warm-weather food. Can't even think about chili....didn't even make it this year!

Here's the recipe:

1 750mL bottle of red wine. (Cheap tempranillo or merlot. Cul d' sac Merlot from HEB here)
1/4 - 1/3 cup sugar
4 oz. Fresh orange juice
4 oz. Cranberry juice cocktail or 100% Cranberry juice.
4 oz. pineapple juice
1 sliced apple
1 sliced orange
1 slice lemon.

1. Add sliced apple, orange & lemon to large glass container with a wide mouth. I use a Cambo.
2. Add sugar and gently mash with wooden spoon, muddler, etc. until sugar is mostly dissolved.
3. Add all other ingredients and stir well. Taste. If not sweet enough either add more sugar or triple sec.
4. Needs to sit overnight in the fridge at least. Taste again. If it lacks ZING, add more lemon juice. If you detect a slight bitterness, that's from the citrus peels. Add a good pinch of kosher salt or about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. Stir well. Only add enough until the bitterness is masked. This trick is why salt is served with tequila shots & lime wedges. The goal is to balance bitter, sweet, fruity, sour, ZING, with just a hint of salt. No more.
5. I've added pitted cherries sliced in half when in season.

It'll get better if you don't drink it all in a day.
When it's HOT, I use three 750ml bottles of HEB's Cul d' sac Merlot. You could also use the Trader Joe cheap stuff. Or step up to a good Spanish Tempranillo. That's the wine they use.

If you want more fruit, add it.

Tastes great on the weekend, with BBQ, nachos, grilled chicken, etc. Also after doing yard work. Don't toss the fruit: Eat it! Best served ice cold. I use a 1/4 laddle (thus the wide mouth jar) to balance fruit & juice.

Cheers!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back