Blood test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had my yearly blood test. Comparing yearly test results, I consume less natto(60%) and miso soup(50%). Fruits were also down significantly reason fluke weather pattern produce less fruits(home grown citrus). My meat intake increased chicken some red meat but had a steady amount of raw green salad as usual.

I'll also admit my fish intake was higher this test a steady 1/2 lbs of raw tuna(sashimi) daily. Also higher small fish intake.

HDL 79 HDL 87 Increased due to higher fish intake?

Sodium 142 Sodium 143 Not much difference but much higher

sea salt intake this test.

Potassium 4.4 Potassium 4.0 Decreased.

Calcium 10.9 Calcium 9.7 Decreased.

All others liver, kidney and blood read normal.

a blood test can tell what your diet is? holy [censored], that's new to me
wink.gif
Interesting....gotta say, I've had blood "drawn" for various things.....but never had this "used oil analysis"-esque test report given to me
wink.gif

Miso is pretty salty, so probably good to moderate there. I have a steady supply of almonds around and I have 3 grams of fish oil daily. My HDL has improved significantly since my last blood test.

The question to me is what does this really mean. Ill bet there is a lot of data in the literature that provides retention times for diferent elements in the body, likely done with radioactive tracer variants of the elements. The pharmacokinetic aspects of minerals come to play here.

That said, as I understand it from a diabetic friend, one certain blood glucose test effectively gives the average blood sugar for a fairly long time period past...

What Im trying to say is that it would be best to see how relevant this all is based upon how long spikes or defecits can effect the blood chemistry before other aspects of the body's systems manipulate and adjust for the right range.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

you wrote HDL twice - which is HDL and which is LDL?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

you wrote HDL twice -

He's providing results from last year compared to this year.

I find the HDL very very hard to believe. Unless your total cholesterol is about 300.

What is your Mercury reading?

Originally Posted By: Al
I find the HDL very very hard to believe. Unless your total cholesterol is about 300.

What's to believe? Anyone that has a diet with a large amount of exercise and high in fish will have a high HDL level.

Mine is in the upper 60's and low 70's depending on how often we have fish. My LDL is usually around 130 without popping a single pill.

Is keeping yourself healthy that hard to believe? Or is there something else about it you don't believe?

I've tried getting my HDLs up with no results. My LDL is low (I think the last time was around 90), but so is my HDL (around 30). I eat fish all the time and take supplements, but it goes up (if I'm lucky) 1 or 2 points.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

What's to believe? Anyone that has a diet with a large amount of exercise and high in fish will have a high HDL level.

Mine is in the upper 60's and low 70's depending on how often we have fish. My LDL is usually around 130 without popping a single pill.

Is keeping yourself healthy that hard to believe? Or is there something else about it you don't believe?

I need to loose a few pounds yet, but it isnt hard to believe at all. Sacrifices sometimes just need to be made, and that's it. Many dont want to or refuse to. Some also just dont have the right genetics, or refuse to give up item x.

My great aunt was recommended to take lipitor (IIRC, maybe something else). It meant that she couldnt have her morning grapefruit, so she refused. She has been fine so far, but there are a ton of folks who refuse strenuous activity, refuse to stop eating x, y or z, etc. Mix that with genetics and it can be an issue for some.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

High 60's is one thing high 80's is another....unless of course your total cholesterol is in the 300's.

Mine is high at 66. And at at total cholesterol 217 my ratios are good. And I eat lots of fish, take 1000 Omega-3/day. Also I exercise like crazy

Last edited:
Diet can make a big difference. Here are my numbers from 6 months ago and late last month:

Quote:

10/12/2011 Values

Cholesterol, Total: 169 (100-199)
Triglycerides: 311 (0-149) **HIGH**
HDL Cholesterol 32 (>39) **LOW**
VLDL Cholesterol 62 (5-40) **HIGH**
LDL Cholesterol 75 (0-99)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 23.1 (32.0-100.0) **LOW**

3/28/2012

Cholesterol, Total: 162 (100-199)
Triglycerides: 191 (0-149) **HIGH** but much improved
HDL Cholesterol 45 (>39) Improved to normal range
VLDL Cholesterol 38 (5-40) Improved to normal range
LDL Cholesterol 79 (0-99)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 46.9 (32.0-100.0) Improved to normal range

I've reduced many of the carbs in my diet contributing to both weight loss and the dropping Triglyceride number. My MD put me on 2000mg of fish oil and 5000iu of Vitamin D.

Some more exercise and weight loss and perhaps my triglycerides will move to the normal range too.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
My MD put me on 2000mg of fish oil and 5000iu of Vitamin D.

Some more exercise and weight loss and perhaps my triglycerides will move to the normal range too.

Good Job.

Check the Total Omega-3 in your fish oil. You really want close to 1000 mg of the Omega-3.

Unless you have the good stuff you probably are getting 600 +/- Omega-3. with your 2000 mg Fish oil.

Total cholesterol 228 was 203 5 years ago HDL(60's). My LDL is 116, my goal for next year's blood test is to bring it down under a 100 but that may take 1+ years to do it.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
You like your Japanese food eh? I love Miso soup personally.

Glad you like it. My citrus fruit intake was much lower this blood test no laughing matter, have been consuming but home grown stuff. Lime, tangerine and Ora Blanco are the main citrus diet. The last 15 years citrus production has been very good but the crazy weather pattern recently has dropped off and the timing of nature has been unusual.

Actually, I've been taking two 1200mg capsules that have 600mg Omega-3 each, so I'm a bit over everyday
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
My MD put me on 2000mg of fish oil and 5000iu of Vitamin D.

Good Job.

Check the Total Omega-3 in your fish oil. You really want close to 1000 mg of the Omega-3.

Unless you have the good stuff you probably are getting 600 +/- Omega-3. with your 2000 mg Fish oil.

Actually, I've been taking two 1200mg capsules that have 600mg Omega-3 each, so I'm a bit over everyday
smile.gif

Very smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back