Blizzard of 78 of 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is ridiculous; the same thing that happened during Sandy is happening with this nor easter. 2 storm systems are merging. I hope this doesn't become common.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I am in direct path.

I live about 5-10 miles inland on the NH seacoast. Our range shows 12"-24" and spot 30".

I have to go fill my empty 12 gallons in cans all empty for generator and snow blower which are dead empty.

Hey rjundi;

Good luck in the coming mess. We live just a few miles apart so I am ready for what you are. Avoid the supermarkets. Good lord I had to drop in this morning to grab a couple things( normal not storm panic )and it was a mad house.

Make note how the gas stations are raising prices today to pork us because they know everyone will be topping off cars and gas cans. My gas cans were already full but the car was below 1/2 so I decided to top off while I was out. Gas was $0.15 more than last night. I knew I should have done it last night.

Last edited:
Just came back from a Walmart. Packed. Everyone stocking up on supplies in case the power goes out. Water, canned goods, snacks, survival stuff. What did I get? Wiper blades and 2 jugs of M1 HM 5w30. A boatload of M1 came in today. Cases stacked in the middle of the floor. Big sign.. Couldn't help myself. People looking at me funny in line cause all I got was motor oil. When they find me they will have to pry the jugs out of my cold dead hands.
20.gif

I'm out of heating oil and the oil burner is on the fritz, But I ve got wood and a generator and I've got the work van filled with gas. I am 2 miles back of the ocean, south of Boston. 12-18 range. Deval just gave non-essential workers the day off. Everybody is s'posed to be off the roads by noon. I am blessed with reasonable higher ups at work. WBZ is really hyping the weather. I'm expecting 6" of glop

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Just came back from a Walmart. What did I get? Wiper blades and 2 jugs of M1 HM 5w30.

While everyone's distracted by the weather is a perfect time to get WM's ration of ammo.
whistle.gif

My Jeep and F350 are fueled, Liz will be home soon & is fueling her Blazer. I have gas for my generator and just brought in a bunch of fuel for the woodstove. My boss came to his senses & we're NOT running tomorrow. (I drive a truck.)

Originally Posted By: andyd
I'm out of heating oil and the oil burner is on the fritz, But I ve got wood and a generator and I've got the work van filled with gas. I am 2 miles back of the ocean, south of Boston. 12-18 range. Deval just gave non-essential workers the day off. Everybody is s'posed to be off the roads by noon. I am blessed with reasonable higher ups at work. WBZ is really hyping the weather. I'm expecting 6" of glop

They are prediciting 18-24" for us by the time it ends mid-day Saturday now.
37.gif

My neighbor came over a while ago and asked if I would keep an eye on his wife for him( please no jokes guys - they are really nice people )Friday and Saturday as he has to work both days. He is worried about her being home alone in the storm. He wants me to help keep the yard cleared and set the generator up if power goes out. That kind of stuff.

He is in charge of maintenance at a big school and has to be there both days to make sure nothing happens if power goes out and such. He has decided to overnight there during the storm vs trying to drive home and then back seeing as I will watch over his house and wife for him. His wife was told everyone was getting the day off Friday & Saturday so she doesn't have to drive in it which is good. She works over an hour away.

Not going to be fun it looks like. I can deal with the 2 feet of snow. I am just HOPING the power doesn't go out or it will probably be days before we get it back. IT is a real pain in the winter when the power goes out even with a generator.

Last edited:
Good luck to you guys in the Northeast.
We don't have snow but we will get some winter storm, in the form of light rain, and cooler temperature than normal at around 60F only.

Good luck guys...hope everyone is okay!

Oh, the irony here....I was born during the Blizzard of 78!!(Happy Birthday to me..
smile.gif
)

My poor parents.....the stories they had just getting my mom to the hospital....crazy!!!
crazy2.gif

^ I was 15 months old and actually remember being put in a snow suit with thumbless mittens (like an insane guy would have-- couldn't grip anything) and being put in a sled and dragged down the middle of the street to the store to get some milk or something during the blizzard of 78.

I've lived here my entire life. Usually snow builds to a blizzard over hours giving people time to get home. This storm is unique because of the rapid intensity to a blizzrd. Will catch people that are on way home. I'm Lowell on this interactive radar. Check the current temps Layer option on right. Need 36+ to be a mostly rain event, will still snow under that.

http://www1.whdh.com/weather/radar/

The calm before the storm...
crazy2.gif

Not real windy yet, just some minor flurries and snow showers so far( about 2" maybe on the ground now ), and nothing to alarm you if you didn't know what was coming. By Noon all of that will change I am sure. Major impact is supposed to be 4PM today to about 10AM tomorrow. Upwards of 4" AN HOUR!!!!!
33.gif

Snowfall total predicitons for my area as follows...

3-5" today( already have 2" so they are off on that )
10-15" tonight
6-10" tomorrow

That is 19-30" in total not 18-24" like they keep saying in the general report. OY!
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Lucky it's a Friday afternoon into Saturday storm. If it was a Monday-Friday storm... Oh my.

Take care friends out there...

Hmm, maybe I'll head out in a bit and "gear up". Buy a bit of gas for the snowblower that doesn't work (maybe I'll jerryrig it) and there's a gunshop I haven't been to in a while (err, totally unrelated, I guess...).

We have a church retreat to go to this weekend; I'm in the middle of NH and I'd hate to be away from home when the power goes out--nor do I want to come home on Sunday to 2' of snow. So I'll likely head out before dinner, drive wife and kids over, have dinner, then head home in the thick of it, so I can shovel a bit before bed and then clean up the rest tomorrow morning.

Maybe I should buy tire chains while I'm out and about.

Put a splash of Marvel Mystery oil in the tank. Mine loves it. little tire shine in the chute to keep it slippery. Snowing here off and on already.

The only I think I can handle this is if I keep on removing the snow on hour every hour. Otherwise the snow thrower will clog and will be useless

While part of me is feeling for you guys, another part is saying that we'll hear no end of this because it's on the East Coast. If the same happened here in the Midwest you might get 15 seconds on a national broadcast, LOL.

Anyway, stay warm and safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back