Blizzard of 78 of 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved those pictures. I used to go through western mass pike through I-90 through Albany, I-87, to I-88 towards Binghamton.

Did it in a couple snowstorms, the endless bridges and cloveleafs have real steep banking and when you're going five miles an hour in a traffic jam you wind up sliding sideways into the curve.
19.gif

Glad I got out of doing that. Add local commuters into the mix and it was like driving in a pinball machine.

I don't recall exactly where on 87 it was. We were driving to vt for skiing, and I was a passenger so I snapped a random shot.

There may be exif data that will give the precise location...

We got somewhere close to 30" as we were in one of those pockets that got hit worse than other areas just a short distance away. What really got me here at the house was the drifting. Snow was all light fluff so it blew around a lot.

I tried to keep up with it during the night like I usually do during a big storm but finally gave up around 10PM and just stayed in. Snow was coming down so hard, and the wind was blowing it around so much, you couldn't see what you were doing. 2 minutes after going outside I looked like a walking snowman. Also, by the time you got to the end of a run/swipe with the snow blower and turned around to do another what you just did already had 3" of snow in it.
mad.gif

When I went out Saturday morning to clean up it was a MESS! I had a drift between the house and shed( where the snow blower was of course ) that was up to my chin and I am 6'3"+. It took me forever to clean out enough to just get my snow blower out. It also drifted onto my porch good and blocked the kitchen door. I had to force my way out just to go clean up.

Snow was so high from drifting around my house my Lab disappeared when she went down off the side porch to go potty. One minute she was going down the steps and then POOF she just vanished? All I could see was the snow moving around as she tried to get out of the hole she was in. I had to go rescue her.
crackmeup2.gif

I have lived here in NH my entire life so I have seen plenty of winter storms. I remember 1978 well too. This wasn't as bad as 78 but it was a close second. Definitely one of the top 2-3 worst storms ever in my 45+ years.

Thank the good lord it was really cold so we got fluff instead of the usual wet heavy stuff. Cleanup would have been just brutal( was bad enough as is )and we certainly would have lost power.

Last edited:
My 30 yr old Coleman 5 kw genny is finally earning its keep. It has been humming away for 4.5 hrs now. I have a 6 gallon tank rigged to it. I'm a touch cold because the oil burner is out. But the old wood stove is burning well. My son and I are batching it. The drive way is cleared . but the roads are in bad shape. still, downed trees and wires all over the place. The driveway had 1" ice and a foot of powder on top of that Some weed trees are are down. I have water pumping, lights and 'puters and TV on I have a gas cook top and water heater. So we can shower and do all kindsa normal stuff.
laugh.gif

So now for the slap on the face. I have about of 1-2' of snow in some spot of my shaded part of roof.

Now we are expecting lots of rain tomorrow. That snow on roof will act as a sponge and weigh down the roof. Also potentially lead to ice dams which means potential leaks into house.

frown.gif

I have some problematic roofs at work. I use a roof rake to pull snow off the problem areas, but this won't help if you have a two story house. Be careful not to damage shingles.

One of my co-workers died 10 years ago from a winter fall from his ranch style home roof. Only 7 foot fall onto a concrete porch.

Be careful. And best wishes to those of you digging out. Been there, done that a few times.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
OMG I remember that! I was 15 and one of the snowmobilers blasting down a section of 495 checking cars with my buddies. Wide open at 60+mph it was awesome. Can't do that now, somebody will call 911 for a "suspicious male on snowmobile making noise" immediately.

From the local police log:

Feb. 8, 4:45 p.m. - Police were checking the area of Old Stage Road for a snowmobile out after the Governor's vehicle ban.

lol.gif
The ban went into effect at 4:00pm. People grabbed their phones and headed to the windows itching to call 911 and rat somebody out. Its the way this state is now. People call 911 for anything and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back