Blizzard headed to New England for Tue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joy. Well, it won't be as cold as it's been. Dang I'm looking forward to spring.

Now I really wish I had gotten that belt for my snowblower!

Very impressed with southwest. They notified my wife that the blizzard was coming, and offered her a free change to an early flight Monday instead of Tuesday out ahead of the storm.

She took their offer and is on the 6am flight out of Buffalo tomorrow.

Quote:

Isn't it late in the season for something like this?

No. In CT we have had measurable substantial snow even in April.

When I lived in NH, we canceled baseball practice in May because of accumulated snow on the field.

Last edited:
This seems to be shaping up like a storm we had some years ago, mid-March heavy storm, everything shut-down for a day (roads closed by state, businesses closed), dug out, then it cleared off relatively quickly.

Tuesday morning I'll figure out if I bother going into work or use a vacation day. Wife's all concerned if we're prepared with gasoline and whatnot. Sure, I haven't touched the supplies all winter.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Stay safe everybody, my wife is flying back from Buffalo to Texas on Tuesday morning.

We are hoping she gets out of dodge before the flights start to cancel.

Weather got pretty darn cold and wet here as well, lower 40's right now. Had to run the gas furnace this morning.

It's not hitting Buffalo for the most part. Just colder than average here...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Stay safe everybody, my wife is flying back from Buffalo to Texas on Tuesday morning.

Weather got pretty darn cold and wet here as well, lower 40's right now. Had to run the gas furnace this morning.

Yeah, my area is maybe going to get 2-4" which suits me
Fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bud
Its 52 here this morning, windy and cloudy. Yep, just about blizzard conditions for this area. And you folks from where it actually is winter would get a kick when looking at how everyone is bundled up around here. Our cold would probably be short sleeve weather for you up in New England.

I lived in Dallas when I was just out of college and played slowpitch, had a spring season, some time off around August because it was usually just too hot, and then a fall season that stretched into November. Starting times were as late as 11pm and it might be getting around 60 by then late in the fall season.
Being from Chicago, I would show up for games in just my jersey and baseball pants and tell everybody, "This is ballplaying weather!!!"
All the locals would have sweatshirt, sweatpants, and stocking caps on, and they would reply, "I'm freezing to death, WTH is wrong with you?!?!?!"

NWS seems to be calling for about 9" around here...the Wunderground native forecaster says 17". I find that the latter usually exaggerates, but we will see what happens! Gives me a chance to really try out the Hakka R2s I picked up on closeout a few weeks ago, my GY Ice Grip WRTs were shot after 3 seasons and I went for the good price knowing I'd just have to buy snows in the fall, anyway.

BTW, it was 0F with a goodness knows what windchill when I started skiing this AM. Most of the lifts were closed due to the howling winds and I did some laps on greens and blues for an hour, tossing in jumps and zips down the narrow trails under lifts to try to make it interesting, before taking my frozen face back inside. Thank goodness for ice skis, Blizzard 8.1s that are only good for that purpose and are usually only used 1-2 times per season. I wouldn't have paid real money to ski today, but I always say "Why not?" with the season pass.

Last edited:

They are calling for 12-18 inches of snow across the Buffalo area. Not a big deal for Buffalo snow removal teams, but southwest may see something that I have not.

WN is probably proactively cancelling flights to avoid having its aircraft stuck for a couple of days.
Does anyone know whether other airlines are cancelling flights to the Northeast?
To fly from a region, you first have to fly to it and most airlines have learned the hard way that normal operations aren't possible during a heavy winter storm.
They also hate to have aircraft needed for other turns sitting out the weather and the diversions for inbounds to clear fields aren't free either.
Bottom line is that the lease payments or debt service don't stop just because an airline can't fly a stranded plane and generate revenue doing so and passengers always blame an airline for cancellations and delays, even though airlines have as much control over the weather as does Captain Kangeroo.

They are calling for 12-18 inches of snow across the Buffalo area. Not a big deal for Buffalo snow removal teams, but southwest may see something that I have not.

Yeah, closer to the 12" mark and that's spread out over 2-3 days, and probably less by the airport. But yeah, I'd get out just because of the other airports all over the Northeast having cancellations and grief...

I am so sick of the wind and cold to the point where I am physically ill from it. We had a nice stretch of warm weather that melted all of the snow, which got everyone thinking spring. The way the long-term is shaping up right now, that could be over 30 days away, yet. Sucks!

Will see... Very likely it appears with the GFS model and NAM showing quite the storm. It appears possible for 14-20 inches with possible higher amounts with orograghic lift helping increase lifting in the atmosphere in certain areas. In places where the deformation zone sets up north an west of the surface low it could be snowing at 2-3 inches per hour. Would rule out thundershowers either.

One thing to keep in mind here.... This is a computer generated storm at this point. No storm has formed yet. Where the storm forms off the coast of SC or NC, what trajectory track it takes, how strong the cold high pressure is, how quickly the surface low deepens all are not totally nailed down yet. A couple of years ago in the winter of either 2014 or 2015 the Weather channel, the NWS at Philadelphia/My. Holly looked quite foolish calling for a monster snow storm in that area. And it didn't happen at all. Nothing fell in Philadelphia, Trenton, Wilmington Delaware, Atlantic City. Places where over 12 inches of snow was forecasted to fall. This was a computer generated storm has well. It didn't really deepen until farther northward and was farther east in its trajectory path. Again, this is a complicated set up and until the surface low forms it is all computer generated. A lot of variables in play here. No slam dunk just yet...

Last edited:
Updated weather forecast has much more snow in my area.

Obligatory EVERYBODY PANIC!!!

I will even go as far as avoiding driving past a grocery store, as much as possible.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I am so sick of the wind and cold to the point where I am physically ill from it. We had a nice stretch of warm weather that melted all of the snow, which got everyone thinking spring. The way the long-term is shaping up right now, that could be over 30 days away, yet. Sucks!

Low 80's here. I love cold weather, just not the snow and ice.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
I can't remember the last time we were forecasted to get 18" to 24" as we are with this storm. Snowblower will earn its keep tomorrow.

Yup, same here, just south of you, our projection went up to 18 to 24 inches. I'd go so far as to say the first real snow storm for us this year. Ran the snowblower up this evening. Looks like a corker.

I stopped at the grocery store after work and chose not to go in. There was 3x as many people there as normal on a Monday evening. People buying carts full of bottled water and other assorted garbage. I've never seen anything like it.

I figure I still have enough food to last a week, easily.

Last edited:
Something like 2' predicted here. Might go out grocery shopping this morning, wifey forgot to shop yesterday--yesterday being the day she normally gets food for the week. Might go out for lunch, kids have the day off, I stayed home. It's New England, might be fun to find some friends and have a trip out in the stuff.

Might start shoveling around noon, I think. Barely an inch at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back