Heads Up! Big storm coming to Cali and SW

We had a little flooding here where we are. Out to the east there was a rock slide. It's still poring rain but the worst of it has passed.

Attachments

• 368022847_10232120998752533_2886288941092676451_n.jpg
    368022847_10232120998752533_2886288941092676451_n.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 368239745_602019822132913_8637279445991912878_n.jpg
    368239745_602019822132913_8637279445991912878_n.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 35
Concern is growing that Hurricane Hilary will unleash a prolific amount of flooding rainfall on the southwestern US and parts of California as it makes a rare move over the region Sunday and into early next week, triggering the first ever tropical storm watch for California.

Hilary could dump more than a year’s worth of rain in parts of three states: California, Nevada and Arizona. Because of the threat, parts of California face a rare high risk for excessive rainfall. This Level 4 of 4 threat is the first to ever be issued for this part of Southern California.

Hilary was a powerful Category 4 hurricane churning about 400 miles south of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Friday morning with sustained winds of 145 mph with stronger gusts, the National Hurricane Center said.
A years worth of rain! 🤣 what's that? 2 inches?

The predicted 40 MPH winds and heavy rain that was supposed to hit the Sou Cal mountains last night never materialized.
It was windy yesterday afternoon and rain was steady but never a deluge, All in all it was much ado about nothing.

But the news networks in typical fashion milked it for all it was worth and stirred up a lot of near hysteria. In reality only a few areas were subjected to flooding and mudslides.

The predicted 40 MPH winds and heavy rain that was supposed to hit the Sou Cal mountains last night never materialized.
It was windy yesterday afternoon and rain was steady but never a deluge, All in all it was much ado about nothing.

But the news networks in typical fashion milked it for all it was worth and stirred up a lot of near hysteria. In reality only a few areas were subjected to flooding and mudslides.
The weather channel posted videos of flooding, muddy washouts, huge winds, etc...........well except the video was not 8/19, 8/20, 8/21...............it was last year and before. That is just wrong.

Last edited:
Just a light sprinkle here north of Sac.

Deserts sucked all the moisture out of this.

I remember some pretty strong thunderstorms many with dry lightning in my 1960s childhood in Orange County CA. No idea what months though.

What struck me as odd moving from the midwest to L.A. was the comparative lack of thunder and lightning storms.
I probably didnt hear thunder for 5 years in LA.

Desert storms are a whole different thing.

What struck me as odd moving from the midwest to L.A. was the comparative lack of thunder and lightning storms.
I probably didnt hear thunder for 5 years in LA.

Desert storms are a whole different thing.
Truth.

Sometimes even here we can go a couple years with no local thunder/lightning.

Highly localized. Just pop over the border to the appropriately named Lightning lake in Canada. We had to leave the campground twice in a hurry. Once because a lightning started fire (yikes) and once because hail destroyed our tent (double yikes) - both times with the kids around 2003-2004

That said, thunder snow is kinda cool.

After and during every storm I look at the actual impact to the local lakes which will now easily hold whatever this might dish out.

Oroville is the closest biggie to me. So far its a non event but there is always a delay as the mountain streams take time to gather momentum.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.42.14 AM.png

Does that mean I might be able to search for flood vehicles at Arizona salvage auctions in the near future?

Hoping for no loss to lives or limbs.....
I knew someone from Arizona, they do have monsoon and flood, and she lost a car in one due to flood.

That said, thunder snow is kinda cool.
T/S combo is way rare.

So is a ferocious dust devil packing 90 mile an hour winds that winds it's way through hundreds of square miles of desert, and even jump a river, but somehow manages to go right through and totally trash your camp.

Should've bought a lottery ticket.

Back