Blizzak WS 70 snow / ice : Any users of these ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck

I thought the WS-50's had a normal winter compound below the multicell coumpound (last 45% of depth).

The last two years of WS-50 production had the winter compound below the multicell compound, WS-50's produced before that had the all season compound underneath the multicell compound. Not that it matters much for my style of winter tire use. Once the tread is half worn, I replace them. I usually only put 3,000 miles per winter on a set of tires though.

" These tires have great traction. "

They climb and go down the icy 400 foot driveway with ease .

" The ride is a bit bumpy with these tires, but the feel of control is fantastic "

Not much worse when with the EAGLE LS . Have about 37 p.s.i. in them .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I'm not sure if it's true, but when I was researching winter tires I found somewhere that Blizzaks have a very soft rubber compound that only goes about 50% of the tread depth. So once that layer wears off, you pretty much got all season tires. Continental supposedly uses the same compound for the whole tread depth.

Is that true? Or at least do people with Blizzaks ever experianced reduced performance once the tires were about half way worn?

The WS70 tread depth is 12/32". When the soft multicell layer is nearly gone, you will be down to a tread depth of 6/32", which is the minimum tread depth for good snow traction. Many snow tires have molded in wear bars at 6/32".

Last edited:
The WS70s are indeed excellent on ice. My father's G35 has them. The Michelin X-Ice Xi2 use a similar technology with tiny suction cups or something to help grip on ice. They're some of the few winter tires that are actually rated for use on ice.

I will agree that Blizzaks with 6/32" or less are noticeably less useful, though they still work pretty well.

WS70 replaced WS60. Both are good, but I'd go for the 70s if you can afford it.

Last edited:
I have WS70's on the wife's Navigator and studded Hankook I-Pike's on my Expedition. I actually had the WS70's on the Expedition for a few hundred miles until the I-Pikes got here. Having driven them both in snow/ice so far this year, I have to give the edge to the WS70's. Excellent tires.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 360kid
Blizzaks have been the best winter tires for years. I had Blizzaks on my 4x4 F150 last year and it was unstoppable. Didn't matter if it was glare ice or 3 feet of snow. I drove the truck through my back yard with snow to the tops of the tires like I was driving down the highway.

I traded the truck for an Impala, researched tires and came back with the Altimax Arctics, which are a rebranded Gislaved Nordfrost 3. They are the number 1 tire in Scandinavia. They are better rated than the Blizzaks. I've only taken the the new car and tires through a couple of snow storms, but I am very impressed. You can find them on Tirerack. Blizzaks are still awesome, I just think other brands are catching up and passing them in many ways.

Great post as far as I'm concerned.
Reason is, I have 2 almost identical cars, one with Altimax Arctic's, and one with WS70's. I have to say for most conditions during winter, I do actually prefer the Altimax. It is a lot more composed when conditions aren't adverse, and this makes a big difference on overall impression. I have not obviously done any comparo's driving on solid ice with each tire, I believe the WS70 would shine there, but so far in my winter commute, I am still incredibly happy with my Altimax's, and only adequately happy with the WS70.

Older post I know.
But I cant say enough good things about my General Altimax Arctics.

Indeed a great tire. I'm happy as a clam with mine.

Great winter tires.

Odie - I'm in my ninth winter on a set of WS-50s and they still perform extrememly well in the snow. 3k miles is a normal amount of winter driving for me, so your WS-70s hopefully will do even better.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Odie - I'm in my ninth winter on a set of WS-50s and they still perform extrememly well in the snow. 3k miles is a normal amount of winter driving for me, so your WS-70s hopefully will do even better.
Thanks for the info . We usually put on about 5,000 mis. a season . They perform almost as well as studded snows . Amazing .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back