B'laster Surface Shield Rust Protectant

Anyone use B'laster Surface Shield Rust Protectant ? I think it's a new B'laster Product for 2021 made with lanoline like Fluid Film.

Here's a review of the product >>>>>

I did my B2600 a few weeks ago with it after seeing his video. Hopefully it holds up better in the high wash areas than fluid film.

I saw this video some time ago and I too would like to know more since B'LASTER doesn't yet sell this Surface Shield in larger quantities. And this young man is very good with his videos. I especially like his "how to sound deaden your car" video.

I haven't seen Surface Shield yet in my area although Repair Geek says it's available at HomeDepot, and I haven't really been out looking. :)

Last edited:
As with any of these products the cans are Not the same as the product that you get in bulk that is to be used with a spray gun/compressor. The can is lighter, cut with something so it can spray out of that can, and because of that it is a lighter product. And therefore - in my experience - just doesn’t cover or last as long.

Watching that video I’m surprised that the thinner Blaster in bulk sticks and stays longer than the other products, so maybe, just maybe...the can version of blaster works well. But I’m not sure about that. And the video doesn’t show the AFTER effects of the can sprayed product...plus, isn’t that video a payed advertisement of Blaster? When I started watching it the words paid product came up on my screen...not sure if that means he payed for it, or they payed for it. Not sure that matters either but I would think if they payed for it, there’s a little bias going on? Maybe?

As with any of these products the cans are Not the same as the product that you get in bulk that is to be used with a spray gun/compressor. The can is lighter, cut with something so it can spray out of that can, and because of that it is a lighter product. And therefore - in my experience - just doesn’t cover or last as long.

Watching that video I’m surprised that the thinner Blaster in bulk sticks and stays longer than the other products, so maybe, just maybe...the can version of blaster works well. But I’m not sure about that. And the video doesn’t show the AFTER effects of the can sprayed product...plus, isn’t that video a payed advertisement of Blaster? When I started watching it the words paid product came up on my screen...not sure if that means he payed for it, or they payed for it. Not sure that matters either but I would think if they payed for it, there’s a little bias going on? Maybe?
I feel what you're saying regarding spray bombs is correct. I haven't found anything in a spray bomb to do as good a job as bulk products being applied by conventional spray, airless spraying, or sprayed with an HVLP sprayer. Spray bombs are better than nothing, but spraying by the methods I mentioned IMO work best. I use a combo of a rustproofing gun with wands to get into all the hard to reach areas, and then coat the undercarriage with my airless sprayer. The coverage with the airless sprayer is amazing, fast, and longer lasting.

Spray bombs are great for touchup work, especially when you don't want to break out the equipment mentioned above and then clean it up.

I did my B2600 a few weeks ago with it after seeing his video. Hopefully it holds up better in the high wash areas than fluid film.
I would look at products from NH Coatings. One of the rust prev products is a brush on think version of the product you normally spray on. So for my pickup they brushed on in areas likely to get road wash and sprayed the rest.

NH Coatings does NOT recommend the high pressure under carriage washes at car washes. I think a garden hose would be OK, but not high pressure.

Fluid film is not meant for coating large surfaces...I don't know why people insist on doing that. That's what paint is for. Fluild film is for filling cavities and holes, as it creeps around and gets into every nook and cranny that paint can't, and it won't readily wash out from those areas. Anything besides paint you can rinse off with a pressure washer.

It is available in bulk buckets now.

Repair geek did his whole truck with the in-the-can version, so I don't think he has seen any difference.

I have six cans waiting to do whatever car I purchase next.

What oil based undercoating would give you a few years of protection?? Also if you go into a car wash with undercarrage spray would this just wash off the oil based undercoating???

I agree with the concept of aerosol products don't seem to be as good as bulk products. But, it seems that once the aromatics evaporate from the aerosol version, shouldn't it be very similar to the bulk product?

And another opinion about the idea that "thicker is better" regarding staying power in high wash areas. Krown "claims" an opposite idea. They claim that even though their product might appear to be gone in high wash areas, they state that there is still a microscopic barrier doing its job. Just an opinion. I know Trav and others have their favorites. It certainly is a challenge to have a product that can adhere and resist washoff (i.e., gease-like) and still have oil content that creeps, stops rust, and does not trap salt brine underneath it.

Edit: I cannot imagine that high pressure undercarriage washes are good for any product.

Reactions: hrv
I agree with the concept of aerosol products don't seem to be as good as bulk products. But, it seems that once the aromatics evaporate from the aerosol version, shouldn't it be very similar to the bulk product?

And another opinion about the idea that "thicker is better" regarding staying power in high wash areas. Krown "claims" an opposite idea. They claim that even though their product might appear to be gone in high wash areas, they state that there is still a microscopic barrier doing its job. Just an opinion. I know Trav and others have their favorites. It certainly is a challenge to have a product that can adhere and resist washoff (i.e., gease-like) and still have oil content that creeps, stops rust, and does not trap salt brine underneath it.

Edit: I cannot imagine that high pressure undercarriage washes are good for any product.
I figured that. It is just sometime in the winter around here in Louisville they lay more salt down then the snow we get and also do the pre treat before a storm. I like to get the underside washed just to get some of the salt off... I wish the old rubberized undercoating was still the way to go but there is to much info now showing that it is not good to use...

What I've decided about these products after trying a few is that something is better than nothing. It's really not worth splitting hairs. As long as you arent using something like a rubberized undercoating that can trap moisture, you're ahead of the game (compared to not doing anything). If it washes off high impact area, who cares? That means these areas will contently be blasted anyway and will be unlikely to have deep corrosion set in.

My point? Pick one that you will actually be willing to apply and do it. Don't worry about someone telling you there's a so called "better option".

I've got a gallon of Surface Shield and Woolwax Pro sprayer on order. Also have most of a gallon of Fluid Film on hand. I'd like to know before my order arrives, does the Surface Shield creep as well as the Fluid Film? If not, I'll use them each in strategic spots.

I fight rust as an obsession.
I looked into Blaster Surface Shield and some of the things were concerning.
  • Blaster pays hucksters and influencers to hype their product. If you look at the Youtube videos closely you will see very small letters that say "paid promotion" in the corner.
  • It's been out for a very short time and they say "provides protection for up to 2 years" How do they know that? And what does "up to" mean? 6 months?
  • I read on a Ford forum that a guy had his vehicle treated with Blaster Surface Shield and the vehicle caught fire a few days later. He said the insurance adjuster was implying that is was from the newly applied coating Blaster Surface Shield. The flash point on Blaster Surface Shield is about 90 degrees lower than Fluid Film or Woolwax.
*Below: From Blaster Surface Shield SDS sheet-
Conditions to Avoid: Heat, spark, and open flame
Signal word Danger Hazard statement: May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways

Bottom Line: Nope. not for me.

For what it's worth, this was on another forum. I never trust utube stuff.

from chrylsler forum.jpg

I fight rust as an obsession.
I looked into Blaster Surface Shield and some of the things were concerning.
  • Blaster pays hucksters and influencers to hype their product. If you look at the Youtube videos closely you will see very small letters that say "paid promotion" in the corner.
  • It's been out for a very short time and they say "provides protection for up to 2 years" How do they know that? And what does "up to" mean? 6 months?
  • I read on a Ford forum that a guy had his vehicle treated with Blaster Surface Shield and the vehicle caught fire a few days later. He said the insurance adjuster was implying that is was from the newly applied coating Blaster Surface Shield. The flash point on Blaster Surface Shield is about 90 degrees lower than Fluid Film or Woolwax.
*Below: From Blaster Surface Shield SDS sheet-
Conditions to Avoid: Heat, spark, and open flame
Signal word Danger Hazard statement: May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways

Bottom Line: Nope. not for me.
This is bologna.
Insurance is a scam altogether.
I sprayed it in my wheel wells and it's still there after three months of winter and rain.
It's almost like they tested the product before they released it! *GASP*
The video includes "paid promotion" because Blaster sent him a bucket of the stuff for free so he could test it out, no because he's on their payroll...

Last edited:
I used a couple cans of Surface Shield on the kia and applied to the wheel wells, undercarriage, suspension, cavities, nooks and crannies, etc..

It seems to "stick" very nicely as even 3100 plus psi power washer (and car soap in cannon) can't remove it in high spray areas and have power washed the wheel wheels dozens of times since application and it's still there. Also have driven through a few snow storms, slush, ice, and salt.

It gives me great piece of mind to know there is "extra" protection.

I do recommend it.

Back