Blackstone results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone has any reports that they can post on Mobil Delvac 5w-40 syn oil and T6 5w-40 syn oil. Just wondering which shows better results

You really can't tell much from other people's results. Their driving habits, OCIs, and engine condition have more to do with their results than the oil they are using.

That being said, Mobil 1 Delvac 5W-40 is a CI-4+/SL rated oil and Rotella T6 5W-40 is a CI-4+/SM rated oil. So, if you are using it in a gasoline engine built after 2004, then the T6 is the better choice. Otherwise, use whichever is cheaper.

CI-4+ was surpassed for several years now. Still a viable fluid for older diesels, but the 6.4L PSD requires CJ-4. CJ-4's are very good fluids.

Either of those (Delvac 1 or T6) are good fluids, but if you're going to OCI with "normal" OEM recommendations in mind, they are overkill and you'll not get any real tangible benefit in "normal" use.

Also, doesn't the 6.4L spec 10w-30? I cannot recall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
CI-4+ was surpassed for several years now. Still a viable fluid for older diesels, but the 6.4L PSD requires CJ-4. CJ-4's are very good fluids.

Either of those (Delvac 1 or T6) are good fluids, but if you're going to OCI with "normal" OEM recommendations in mind, they are overkill and you'll not get any real tangible benefit in "normal" use.

Also, doesn't the 6.4L spec 10w-30? I cannot recall.

No.

My mistake. Allow me to be more clear. I realize that 15w-40 may be the "preferred" vis, but isn't 10w-30 spec'd as an alternative? I know my neighbor's 6.0PSD allows for 10w-30.

Regardless, I doubt you have any real "need" for syns. I would suggest you consider any of the quality Canadian brands; they will all suffice just fine. CJ-4 is required for your 6.4L.

As for your quest for "better" results between those two products, there are plenty of UOAs for you to peruse. Read through and make your own choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010F350
I was wondering if anyone has any reports that they can post on Mobil Delvac 5w-40 syn oil and T6 5w-40 syn oil. Just wondering which shows better results

According to only one UOA of Delvac ESP 5W-40 I saw, T6 seems to have much more ZDDP and moly than Delvac (~ 1000 & 75 vs. 800 & 0). ESP (emission-systems protection) designation means strong reduction in the additive package. I don't think Rotella T6 has any bad UOA posted. Based on ZDDP and moly, I would go with Rotella, given the lack of UOAs on Delvac ESP out there and the availability and price of the two oils.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: 2010F350

According to only one UOA of Delvac ESP 5W-40 I saw, T6 seems to have much more ZDDP and moly than Delvac (~ 1000 & 75 vs. 800 & 0). ESP (emission-systems protection) designation means strong reduction in the additive package. I don't think Rotella T6 has any bad UOA posted. Based on ZDDP and moly, I would go with Rotella, given the lack of UOAs on Delvac ESP out there and the availability and price of the two oils.

They are both CJ-4 oils.

D1 ESP is only called that [ESP] to distinguish it from the CI-4+ D1 when it came out in 2006. All CJ-4 oils are "ESP" when compared to CI-4 and CI-4+.

They are both excellent oils at what they excel at; extended OCIs and low temp starts. But it has to be COLD for it to really be worth it.

I think T6 represents an excellent buy for the money, and it's available just about everywhere that has a WallyWorld.

But again, dino will do everything they can in about 99% of all circumstances, but not just as long.

Results are what speak most; both have excellent UOA history.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
They are both CJ-4 oils.

D1 ESP is only called that [ESP] to distinguish it from the CI-4+ D1 when it came out in 2006. All CJ-4 oils are "ESP" when compared to CI-4 and CI-4+.

Yes, this is true.

But the point is that there is no minimum on ZDDP in CJ-4 and there is no moly requirement at all. Delvac 1 ESP has no moly and Rotella T6 has about 75 ppm. Also, Delvac 1 ESP has only 800 ppm P (ZDDP) (as little as the GF-5 max limit), whereas Rotella T6 has 1,100 ppm P (near the 1,200 ppm CJ-4 max limit).

While the ZDDP content and moly content don't guarantee better wear performance, they certainly help.

They are both CJ-4 oils.

Yes, this is true.

But the point is that there is no minimum on ZDDP in CJ-4 and there is no moly requirement at all. Delvac 1 ESP has no moly and Rotella T6 has about 75 ppm. Also, Delvac 1 ESP has only 800 ppm P (ZDDP) (as little as the GF-5 max limit), whereas Rotella T6 has 1,100 ppm P (near the 1,200 ppm CJ-4 max limit).

While the ZDDP content and moly content don't guarantee better wear performance, they certainly help.

Unless you have something in writing from Mobil as to what's in D1 ESP (like we do with TDT), it's suspect. Trying to get exact ZDDP content from a VOA where there's up a 20% variance is iffy.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
You really can't tell much from other people's results. Their driving habits, OCIs, and engine condition have more to do with their results than the oil they are using.

That being said, Mobil 1 Delvac 5W-40 is a CI-4+/SL rated oil and Rotella T6 5W-40 is a CI-4+/SM rated oil. So, if you are using it in a gasoline engine built after 2004, then the T6 is the better choice. Otherwise, use whichever is cheaper.

The quote above about gasoline engines is extremely debatable....

They are both CJ-4 oils.

Yes, this is true.

Unless you have something in writing from Mobil as to what's in D1 ESP (like we do with TDT), it's suspect. Trying to get exact ZDDP content from
a VOA where there's up a 20% variance is iffy.

This is a big question of mine. Is Turbo Diesel Truck and Delvac 1 the same oil in a different bottle or are they really different?

I've seen enough specs on Delvac 1 ESP to say that it's different than TDT. It's got much higher flashpoint, and slightly higher viscosity and ash. Its TBN is actually lower than TDT.

Delvac 1 has builder approvals from Cat, Cummins, Twin Disc, Detroit Diesel, Mack, MAN, MB, Volvo, & Deutz.

TDT only has builder approval from Cat.

Both are API CJ4 and ACEA E7 qualified.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigRigExpediter
They are both CJ-4 oils.

Yes, this is true.

Unless you have something in writing from Mobil as to what's in D1 ESP (like we do with TDT), it's suspect. Trying to get exact ZDDP content from
a VOA where there's up a 20% variance is iffy.

This is a big question of mine. Is Turbo Diesel Truck and Delvac 1 the same oil in a different bottle or are they really different?

They used to be the same but since becoming CJ-4, they are different. I contend Delvac 1 ESP has better basestocks, better additives, is a better oil than TDT. TDT is no longer the uber-oil it once was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back