Black Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: meborder
This whole thread is about color.

you said oil that turns black at 6,000 miles only gets purchased once. Thats silly color doesnt mean much other then the oil is cleaning or has some "stuff" in suspension.

Uhhhmmmm.... No.
Castrol edge gold @9k miles
Oil that turns black by 6,000 miles only gets purchased once.

meborder , looking at the golden amber color of your 9K oils, I would've extended OCI further.
Black/dark gray colored used oil is NOT a good indication of 'condemnation' ....., but a
goldenish colored used oil(with a blot test) IS a good indication of its 'continuing serviceability'.
JMHE.
27.gif

i was always taught when the oil turns black, the filter can no longer hold any more contaminents, theirfore change the filter and oil, whixh is usualy right around 5 miles anyways.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
This whole thread is about color.

you said oil that turns black at 6,000 miles only gets purchased once. Thats silly color doesnt mean much other then the oil is cleaning or has some "stuff" in suspension.

Thats one opinion.

Another is that the additives in the oil have changed, or oxidized and that the oil is not as suitable for continued use as another oil whose additives didn't change as much and turn black.

Everything else being equal, why would you use an oil that turns black in x,xxx miles when you could use another that doesn't.

I don't subscribe to the black oil = superior cleaning theory. If that were true, then it would eventually stop turning black when there was no more cleaning to be done.

Certain oils turn black quickly during use. When I find one, I use something else. Why would I tolerate an oil that turns black when I don't have to.

And I ran that oil another 1k and did a uoa. The uoa told mw about as much as the color. Insolubles were low, tbn was fine, no contaminates otherwise noted, but iron and aluminum were inexplicably high.

UOA @10k

Last edited:
I didn't see where it was specified whether the "black oil" observation was made on the dipstick or in the catch pan. I would tend to agree that it's not normal for oil to turn black on the dipstick in a gas engine with a reasonable OCI, but when all the oil is drained into the catch pan? It'll look pretty dark...

I find it odd with such low miles on the car, [8,000kms when purchased and dealer oil changes] to have "black" oil. I'd probably shorten the OCI to 5k miles and get a UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back