Black Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my 2000 Mazda Miata. The engine has 135,000 miles on it, and I've had it about 12,000 miles. I replaced the timing belt shortly after I got it, and the valve train was spotless. Previous (and original) owner said she had the oil changed every 3000 miles.

I put Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 in it 5000 miles ago, and just now changed it. It was black. It's been many years since I've seen coal-black oil. Looking in the oil fill hole, the valve train still looks spotless. It's been autocrossed maybe a dozen times since I put the Mobil 1 in. Anyone had a similar experience with black oil in a spotless engine?

Looks like the Mobil 1 is doing some good cleaning / just holding the soot in suspension.

Synthetic tends to do that.

What did you use for the first 7000 miles you owned it?

The M1 0w40 in my Mercedes came out very black last time at 6k even though the dealer had always used that oil. Spotless under the fill cap. May have been the Techron cleaning out carbon.

The current fill has just started turning quite black at the 5k point. But no Techron added in this oci.

I used PYB when I got it. It had a PYB sticker from the quickie lube place. But where is the "soot" coming from? Like I said, the inside of the engine was spotless. Literally not one speck of sludge or varnish.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
It could just be an additive in the oil.

Agreed. Some oils just darken more than others, and I quit looking for an explanation long ago.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Ram01
The oil is dirty change it

+1

+2

The valve train may look spotless in your opinion, but the fact your posting this suggests otherwise for the engine as a whole. Read the link below for sludge instructions. What your seeing, what M1 HM is better at removing than any other oil IMO. Will stop going black after the 3rd OCI. By then, extending to 7-8k will be fine. Use a higher efficiency filter (99% @20 +)after the 3nd OCI. Stay with the filter your using for now.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_High_Mileage_Oil.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back