Black powdery substance in my engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, any big gun shop will have it. Or you can order it online. Small cans up to 12 oz I think as the biggest.

The military buys it in gallons for use on tank barrels
laugh.gif

The Kreen you'll have to order direct from Kano Labs. As long as you are going to go to summer with what you have, I'd be running BG109 in each change until then. It is less aggressive than Kreen, but it will get the job done given enough time
smile.gif

Working with the Pennz Ultra, it should free up what can be done short of Break-Free and Kreen
smile.gif

Last edited:
I think that the OP's Honda has stuck rings.
I can't imagine that a Honda V-6 would be that badly worn after such low mileage.
Kreen for a few runs and see what happens.
Honda's Acura boyos don't seem inclined to offer any help, although the OP could try contacting the Acura phone line/email at American Honda and see what they have to say.
This does seem like ridiculous consumption for a low mileage unit.

You could try putting a magnet on your black stuff, just in case its ferrous metal. I've had that settling out on my dip stick, but on a very old older-tech car with older-tech oils.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3241226/2

In your case I'd guess it isn't metallic, but oil-derived gunge.

There's a good thread just finished where its convincingly argued (to me anyway) that probably-stuck-rings in a BMW might have been due to burnt viscosity index improvers from skinny low-solvation synthetic oils.

If this were true in your case, the 0/40 stuff might have aggravated the situation.

The suggested possible fix was a mineral 20-50 (or straight 40) treatment.

If you've got no warranty implications, you might consider that option, though maybe not in winter, assuming you wont or can't pre-heat.

Have a look

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4249513/1

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i understand that but when was the first complaint you have a receipt for?

I never did make official complaint about oil consumption.

I think I know why the black stuffs suspended in the oil. I mentioned in earlier post that I inspected the PCV value hose, but when I did it I pulled the hose while the engine was running. Massive vacuum of air (probably 20-25 psi) was sucked into the intake manifold. I think carbon may have sucked down through the pistons. I may have inadvertently free up the rings with this process. I have a chrome tailpipes, there is no black soots now. Before this, I would clean it every other day.

And the black stuffs seem to be gone now. The oil filter may have filtered it.

Originally Posted By: nZone
I think I know why the black stuffs suspended in the oil. I mentioned in earlier post that I inspected the PCV value hose, but when I did it I pulled the hose while the engine was running. Massive vacuum of air (probably 20-25 psi) was sucked into the intake manifold. I think carbon may have sucked down through the pistons. I may have inadvertently free up the rings with this process. I have a chrome tailpipes, there is no black soots now. Before this, I would clean it every other day.

Sorry, I'm not sure I get what you're saying here.

It sounds like you're suggesting that you hoovered carbon from the rings into the sump by somehow applying an unusually large negative pressure to it.

Seems a bit unlikely.

I don't have a PCV valve, AFAIK, just a baffled crankcase ventilation path, but my understanding is the PCV controls the application of inlet manifold vacuum to the sump.

Eliminating the PCV could therefore mean exposing the sump to higher vacuum levels, though I'd doubt it'd be enough to un-stick rings.

OTOH, disconnecting the hose (which seems to be what you are saying you did) will remove the vacuum from the sump, which seems (even more) unlikely to free the rings.

It'll perhaps raise the pressure in the inlet manifold a bit (since it creates an air leak). Can't see that doing anything either.

Could be missing/misunderstanding something though.

Last edited:
I think the thing you should focus on is the fuel additive, as based on your report, that actually seemed to make a difference for you.
I'd run another tank of treated fuel through my favorite is using redline si-1.
I don't think you need to dump the oil and you seem to be overly focused on the oil.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: nZone

Sorry, I'm not sure I get what you're saying here.

It sounds like you're suggesting that you hoovered carbon from the rings into the sump by somehow applying an unusually large negative pressure to it.

Seems a bit unlikely.

I don't have a PCV valve, AFAIK, just a baffled crankcase ventilation path, but my understanding is the PCV controls the application of inlet manifold vacuum to the sump.

Eliminating the PCV could therefore mean exposing the sump to higher vacuum levels, though I'd doubt it'd be enough to un-stick rings.

OTOH, disconnecting the hose (which seems to be what you are saying you did) will remove the vacuum from the sump, which seems (even more) unlikely to free the rings.

It'll perhaps raise the pressure in the inlet manifold a bit (since it creates an air leak). Can't see that doing anything either.

Could be missing/misunderstanding something though.

Ducked, this particular engine there is a breather hose that intakes fresh air into the crankcase. The hose is connected between the throttle body and the air filter box to one of the cylinder head. The air goes through the cylinder head and the crankcase, and then returns into another cylinder head. From this cylinder head, there is a PCV valve that regulates the returned air. There is a hose that connects From the PCV valve to the intake manifold. What I did was I unplugged at the intake manifold. A huge amount of air rushed in, and the engine started to choke slowly to death. However, I reconnected the hose just before the engine died. The next thing I know is that black stuffs suspense in the oil, and the stainless tailpipes is now clean. There is something was fixed/loosen through the process. All I hope is the oil consumption problem. From the look of it, it is a positive sign.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
I think the thing you should focus on is the fuel additive, as based on your report, that actually seemed to make a difference for you.
I'd run another tank of treated fuel through my favorite is using redline si-1.
I don't think you need to dump the oil and you seem to be overly focused on the oil.

The fuel additive did improve the gas mileage, but I still clean my stainless tailpipes. The tailpipes get dirty in a day or two. The 5w20 seems to generate the most soot, a little lesser from 5w30. The GC 0w40 was still generating black soot. Yes, I go through various viscosity to try to improve oil consumption rate. I will try fuel additive again, no doubt.

I think I will just remove the filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back