Biting the bullet in the Quaker "durability" game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do what your manual says. Most manufacturers only recommend oil with the API symbols on it. The reason that the red bottle doesn't have the symbols is because the oil in the red bottle is a "high mileage" oil. High mileage oil is only called high mileage because it has seal swellers. Do NOT use high mileage oil unless your car is leaking oil out of every corner.

Most oil companies are using terms like duribility, advanced, ultra, extended performance, etc. to make you think that conventional oil is inferior. You have to look at the fine print. If your manual doesn't recommend synthetic oil, don't use it unless you want to waste money.

"I mean I can see a synthetic holding up better in an extreme high-heat situation, but is the stuff in the red bottle really any better than the green bottle?"
-No it's not. The only difference between the oil in the green bottle and the red bottle is that the red bottle is "high mileage" oil. High mileage oil has seal swellers. Unless your car is leaking or burning oil really bad, it's best not to use it. It's a marketing gimick.

"Do you really need to switch to the red bottle when the car gets up to 75,000 miles?"
-No.

In my opinion, HM oils are a chance for the oil companies to make a little more profit. The extra cost of the HM oils is significantly more than the cost of the seal additive they put in there.

I see QS has their semi-synthetic 'blend' available again. It's hard to find in retail outlets though.

all of QS are good and you might as well use synthetic if you change it yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back