Bitdefender Free is back

BITOG'ers love a good/free deal so I thought I would put this on here, maybe some here know about it already, but Bitdefender has redesigned and rebuilt their Bitdefender Free antivirus. They retired the old BD Free as of Dec. 31st last year, end of support will be on June 30th this year. This new free version uses the same engine as the paid BD versions and has a new interface with a few more controls, it is not quite as locked down as the old BD Free. I have the new one on both of my laptops, so far it has very strong malware protection but still stays out of the way without any nagware or unnecessary bells and whistles. Something to consider for anyone who might want something different from Windows Defender or might be in need a good free AV or is considering a change.

Last edited:
Great news, thank you. I used it for ages until they stated it was going pay only. I'm glad it's back as a freebie.

What version is this up to now? I had the old free one installed for ages on one system and it seemed to still be updating its definitions or whatever, then tried to get new one and there was barely any version # increase, now is at 1.0.12.151.

I think my install is broken too, or something, supposedly you should to be able to right click the tray icon and bring up a context menu with various choices but the only choice mine brings up is "Exit".

Back