Big train derailment in East Palestine OH

I came across this post on Reddit. I have no idea how true it is or not. This is something I know nothing about.

"I work in Logistics. While the pushback from the rails, SSLs and ports on safety regulations and what they’ve done to their labor pools is a huge concern, the rail industry has been pushing back on electronic braking systems since the late 2000s, and the applicable transportation laws started to be negotiated in 2008 & finalized in 2014, with trump rolling out the electronic break requirement, but a broken axle on the train would still likely cause a derailment. Might have mitigated some of the damage, but lots of trains derail, all the ****ing time. You just don’t hear about it since most don’t blow up & most happen in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Under the laws finalized in 2014, NS didn’t have to declare this cargo to the same safety standards as oil tankers. It still is nevertheless considered HAZ (Class II, UN#1096) and subject to the standard HAZ regulations. I have seen some misleading claims saying NS purposefully classified this cargo on this train incorrectly, which they did not. They followed the letter of the law & regulations that are currently set in place. Not that I’m a fan of the rail or port cartels either here, but I won’t blame NS for congresses ineptitude & the lack of teeth our governing transportation bodies have.

Blue states however that have extensive transportation infrastructure are ridiculous however. The tolls, congestion, higher diesel costs, truck requirements, and taxes levied on carriers & shippers makes it **** difficult and expensive for companies to operate. Then you throw in the Port & rail cartels that essentially have free reign to operate and siphon money for ******** charges levied against shippers while they have quasi-market monopolies in certain regions is absurd and all those charges eventually make their way down to the consumer. Los Angeles is hurting right now due to this for truckers.

All said, this industry is truly a mess, and it moves slowly. This won’t be resolved anytime soon."

Latest word on street from conworker that lives there is every family member in a house is getting $1,000 from the railroad. Meeting last night was held and conworker said line to get into meeting was 2 miles long

Another interesting hobby is collecting railroad tie date nails. If you have access to abandoned lines you can spot date nails driven into the ties They are nail shaped and have a broad head embossed with a two digit number indicating the year the ties were installed. Track workers carried a sack of these and periodically hammered then into the ties to keep track of the age of the wooden ties to help with timely replacement. Thats it, I’m done.
Interesting. We always collected nails but were unaware the ones with dates on them, those would be great collectibles. I have a friend who lives in NJ now, he walks old lines and has even found granite / stone sleepers from the earliest train lines installed in NJ. He looks at old aerial photos and finds old tracks, sometimes overgrown in the rainforrest. Has a lot of phone line insulators as well.

Latest word on street from conworker that lives there is every family member in a house is getting $1,000 from the railroad. Meeting last night was held and conworker said line to get into meeting was 2 miles long

Rent a U-Haul with that money and get the heck out of town.

No reason to stay in a city that has cancer causing toxic chemicals everywhere.

I feel bad for all these folks….. but their options are very limited.

Rent a U-Haul with that money and get the heck out of town.

No reason to stay in a city that has cancer causing toxic chemicals everywhere.

I feel bad for all these folks….. but their options are very limited.
Well my conworker stinks like dead animals and is NOT a good individual. But he would sure take $1,000

Last edited:
Back