Big three truck questions

Find one with a blown engine in the junkyard, 350CI GM for this scenario. Replace the motor with a Goodwrench 2 bolt. You may be able to do this for around $3k if the truck is priced right. Of course you will have to do the labor together.

Last edited:
The small block Chevy engine is legendary. They will go incredibly far if maintained and not abused too badly.

The Chevy was just the strongest of that generation. It was also relatively light compared to the Dodge

The 5.2L/5.9L feel much better if you adjust the TV Cable for higher part throttle shift points (Make sure you mark it before you start, a little goes a long way). They also have high stall converters (Foot brake to 2500-2800 rpm) so feel soft in normal driving unless you flash it hard with a good stab of the throttle.

Either are solid 300,000 mi trucks when taken care of. Higher mileages are luck of the draw although I personally have seen a 420,000 mi 5.9L Dodge and 490,000 mi 5.7L Chevy.

The belly pan on the underside of the Dodge Intake tend to start leaking and need resealed to avoid sucking oil and carbon build up in the chambers.

My nephew is 16 and is looking for a truck so I've been casually browsing market place and craigslist..he's looking for a first truck around 3,000 which generally gets you a beater might be a decent running beater but don't expect it to be pretty or perfect. That being said I've noticed A LOT of high mileage trucks from all 3. Around 200,000 miles ect. But then I see chevys with 300-400,000 miles on them still getting a few grand for them. Which led me to wonder what is it about the chevy trucks from the early to late 90s and even early 2000's that make them capable of such high miles. We looked at a ram it had the 5.9 with 220,000 miles and it felt worn out. The engine ran but just was down on power and just felt worn out. That is just one example. But I do notice a trend of the chevys having a ton of miles and some of them still run well. What gives? Is there something better about chevys that allow for them to rack up more miles? Are they generally less abused and worked? I know that they all can build a decent truck but it's been a common occurrence and I am curious to know your thoughts. From a longevity stand point will the 350/5.3 just outlast a 302 or a 4.6 or a 5 .2 or 5.9? Something superior it maybe just superior conditions and treatment? Definitely a trend I've noticed at least around here.

Chevys are a solid choice for a high mileage truck. My 94 Silverado was given to a young teen at over 300,000 miles. Last I heard he is still driving it.
About the only big issues with those 1990-early 2000 models were transmissions. After a re-man is put in they go forever.

Miner issues are alternators and they burn oil.

I love trucks. I own one

But I gotta’ ask: why does a kid need a truck as his first ride?

Why not a Corolla? You get a lot newer vehicle, and a lot lower insurance, fuel, and maintenance bills in his price range.

Maybe times have changed but I could not imagine how my life would have been without a truck as my first vehicle. It was a 67 Chevy 1/2 ton that did everything!! Hauled motorcycles to Saddleback Park and the desert, dump runs, camping, etc. Trucks are an outstanding first vehicle.

I did all my own work on it and paid for my own insurance and fuel.

Regarding Chevy — The 5.7 and later the 5.3 LS motors were pretty reliable...legendary to an extent. Cab corners were an issue with rust. A good overall truck.

Dodge, I thought we’re underpowered and the power of their earlier model brake systems were lacking (it really is compared to Chevy or even slightly newer dodges..2004 and up). The Dode rusted out along the rear wheel wells. Couldn’t stop it.

Ford had a nice 4.6 V8.

But nowadays? Out of the big three I’d stay away from GM. They all have their problems But after owning a 2018 Silverado - maintained it religiously, babied it, easy up and down the highway miles. averaging 68 mph on cruise control. After 50,000 miles the thing either needed injectors or a torque converter (it shuddered under load going up hills on the highway). Just couldn’t handle daily commuting on a highway. Nothing in the bed, towing nothing. Just couldn’t seem to handle the speed changes on a highway. My starter went at 30,000 miles - now you have to understand, I probably only actually used that starter twice a day. Honestly. My frame needed to be constantly treated because of rust. The transmission seemed utterly confused at all times and the switching back and forth between V4 to V8 mode was frustrating at lower speed driving (40-50 mph). Oil consumption. And I didn’t even hang on to it long enough to experience all the known issues...transmission failure, collapsed lifters, AC condenser. I really thought I’d own and drive that truck till 400,000 miles...after 50,000 miles I knew that would be impossible.

You had a power train warranty out to 60,0000 miles didn't you?

You had a power train warranty out to 60,0000 miles didn't you?
I had 8,000 miles left on the power train warranty. Injectors were not covered under power train warranty, they’re considered “electrical”, despite the fact that they are pressed into the heads, have fuel travel through them and have a valve that opens and closes, creating a mechanical operation...but they are activated with electricity, so GM will not cover them under power train. Nice.

As for the torque converter/transmission, misfires. Called the dealer, they said despite being under power train warranty they would have to charge me a diagnostic fee to determine if it was a power train issue...if it was not, I’d be paying for the repair. My misfire check engine light was intermittent, they weren’t going to discover my misfire event unless they hooked up a scan tool and drove up and down the highway. And then what I’ve read and heard is “misfires are normal on these trucks”. As for the torque converter shutter - there was no check engine light for that either - just constant shifting up to this gear, then down, then up. Happened Every time the truck went into V4 mode. As for the oil consumption, GM considers it “normal“ to consume a quart of oil every 1,200 miles or so, plus I did all of my own oil changes every 5,000 miles using Pennzoil platinum, or Shell Rotella Gas Truck synthetic, but I only kept half my receipts (which was my fault, but I didn’t think I’d need them).

I had 8,000 miles left on the power train warranty. Injectors were not covered under power train warranty, they’re considered “electrical”, despite the fact that they are pressed into the heads, have fuel travel through them and have a valve that opens and closes, creating a mechanical operation...but they are activated with electricity, so GM will not cover them under power train. Nice.

As for the torque converter/transmission, misfires. Called the dealer, they said despite being under power train warranty they would have to charge me a diagnostic fee to determine if it was a power train issue...if it was not, I’d be paying for the repair. My misfire check engine light was intermittent, they weren’t going to discover my misfire event unless they hooked up a scan tool and drove up and down the highway. And then what I’ve read and heard is “misfires are normal on these trucks”. As for the torque converter shutter - there was no check engine light for that either - just constant shifting up to this gear, then down, then up. Happened Every time the truck went into V4 mode. As for the oil consumption, GM considers it “normal“ to consume a quart of oil every 1,200 miles or so, plus I did all of my own oil changes every 5,000 miles using Pennzoil platinum, or Shell Rotella Gas Truck synthetic, but I only kept half my receipts (which was my fault, but I didn’t think I’d need them).

While I'm happy with my 2018 SIlverado thus far-I'm not exactly impressed with the lack of refinement for a truck that has an MSRP of $54,000.00 (transaction price $43,000). So my next truck will probably be my last one. So RAM, Ford, and assuming Toyota updates their pickup, none are out of consideration.

I need a truck for towing my travel trailer.

What did you replace your truck with?

Shame on GM for dancing around the warranty coverage.

Powertrain coverage is usually internally lubricated parts isn’t it?

Don't forget about 4.3L V6 GM trucks, Probably one of the best OHV V6's put in a truck, Not that the 3.9L Chrysler was a bad engine.

Yes!! That's what I have now. Mine is an 05 GMC Sierra 1500 Base. Standard cab, roll up windows, vinyl floor/seats, 5 speed manual, no ac, bare bones.

While I'm happy with my 2018 SIlverado thus far-I'm not exactly impressed with the lack of refinement for a truck that has an MSRP of $54,000.00 (transaction price $43,000). So my next truck will probably be my last one. So RAM, Ford, and assuming Toyota updates their pickup, none are out of consideration.

I need a truck for towing my travel trailer.

What did you replace your truck with?

Shame on GM for dancing around the warranty coverage.
I actually thought the interior was very quiet. I didn’t really see any fit or finish issues inside...or out, I guess. Could have done without the frame rust and having to treat it twice a year. but yeah, driving it wasn’t exactly refined...the Chevy shake on the highway and the transmission bouncing around from gear to gear, like it was a pogo stick.

Glad you’re doing well with yours, I ended up downsizing back into a sedan. Bought a very slightly used 2016 loaded Toyota Avalon. I do miss the truck a bit, especially when I need to transport something that won’t fit in the car or the wife’s SUV. A friend of mine just bought the new Dodge Ram - he is in love with the thing.

A 16 year old driving a dilapidated full size pickup truck. What could possibly go wrong.
On a wet day, they can hit a pole with 4 in the front seat … airbags hanging low … ask me how I know
(yes, a harmless 4.3L regular cab)

Back