Big fuel economy drop after changing from synblend to full synthetic???

Hard to believe! As "full synthetic" is so slippery. Would never use any less than semi-synthetic in ANY newer vehicles! We own a '21 Bronco Sport Badlands edition & '20 Ranger XLT FX4. Both vehicles have been excellent w/over 25k mis so far & we use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil w/Motorcraft filters exclusively.
Glad you think so because it's not true.

The computer oil analysis may say 9300 is ok but I wouldn't go over 5-6k mis under any cond! Running a full synthetic will go far in cleaning any residue /carbon in that engine. A tank of premium fuel will help alot too but I know gas prices suck right now thanks to the Democrats new green deal! Sorry but all this is engineered folks. Hope that cool Bronco Sport starts getting better MPGs .. it's def not the oil.. maybe bad fuel last fill up??

Glad you think so because it's not true.
What's not true? Full synthetic isn't better than syn blend ? Of course it is! Motorcraft oil & air filters have always rated very good considering price pt. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is outstanding motor oil. You prob got junk fuel at a cheap gas station last fill.

My front wheel drive rav4 with the latest and greatest engine technology 8spd transmission 0w16 synthetic doesn’t get any better mileage then my 2008 sonata which ran 5w30 conventional wolfs head. It’s all smoke and mirrors - Synthetic, synthetic blend and conventional if you can find conventional these days. I’ve never noticed increased mpg with synthetic or blend.

What's not true? Full synthetic isn't better than syn blend ? Of course it is! Motorcraft oil & air filters have always rated very good considering price pt. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is outstanding motor oil. You prob got junk fuel at a cheap gas station last fill.

What makes Ultra so outstanding?

STORY TIME! So a company recruited me to come work for them and I received a low mileage 2021 Ford Bronco Sport as my work vehicle. This vehicle has the 1.5L Dragon 3-cylinder Ecoboost engine with dual injection. Maintenance history is that the FF was changed back in December 2021 after 9300 miles or so. The company has a contract with Valvoline Instant Oil Change to have basic maintenance services performed there.

At the time that I inherited this vehicle it had another 9300 additional miles on it since it's last oil change which happened to be using Valvoline 5W20 synblend. So twice it has been run to approx 9300 miles on a synblend. What I did notice before I got this most recent oil change between the 18000-19000 mile mark was that vehicle was getting what I would consider to be exceptionally good gas mileage, averaging 33-34 MPG per tank while most others are get mid-20's MPG for fuel economy.

Since I got the oil changed to Valvoline Full Synthetic Maxlife 5w20 (that's what VIOC put in when I told them I wanted full synthetic this time) the fuel economy has since dropped to 25-26 MPG.

I have similar driving patterns every single day which is primarily at highway speeds and I drive at or slightly above the speed limit and usually in normal or economy mode in an attempt to maximize fuel economy. Other variables to consider are that the weather is improving as far as temperatures go and tires are at recommended pressure.

I want to know what the honorable.members of BITOG think about this one 🧐
How are you gauging the mileage? The computer? Did it have over 2000 miles on the previous OCI on the trip-odometer prior to the change and did you reset it after changing the oil?

My front wheel drive rav4 with the latest and greatest engine technology 8spd transmission 0w16 synthetic doesn’t get any better mileage then my 2008 sonata which ran 5w30 conventional wolfs head. It’s all smoke and mirrors - Synthetic, synthetic blend and conventional if you can find conventional these days. I’ve never noticed increased mpg with synthetic or blend.
Run whatever you like that meets specs of your vehicles. I don't waver on viscosity esp while under warranty & don't recommend you do. My 4500lb 4wd '20 Ranger XLT w/ Gen2- 2.3L TGDI averages 19-20mpgs around twn if i stay outta turbo & 24.5mpgs on highway. I'm plenty happy in a 4wd truck getting those mpgs. Has the smooth latest greatest 10spd ..I'm sure that def helps mpgs as well as bein very quick off the line. I rarely use sport mode either.

How are you gauging the mileage? The computer? Did it have over 2000 miles on the previous OCI on the trip-odometer prior to the change and did you reset it after changing the oil?

I don't drive the subject vehicle anymore but I was going by the computer onboard primarily, though I did hand calculate it after filling up a few times and the computer was fairly accurate.

I don't drive the subject vehicle anymore but I was going by the computer onboard primarily, though I did hand calculate it after filling up a few times and the computer was fairly accurate.

The 'puter on my 16 Ford Focus will start to increase the MPG over time up to 99mpg if it is not reset. It's starts periodically going up 3MPG at a time after about 2000 miles on the trip odometer and goes up from there...

Back