BIG [censored] Dog Attacked our smallest dog.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pablo,

Glad all is ok now.

Cash that check immediately.

Have them also pay the follow-up Vet bills!!!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm a HUGE dog lover (not that i'm huge). Glad your dog is going to be ok and dog's owner will pay. My lab is like Audie Junkies golden; HATES dogs. Don't understand how these gentle breed dogs can be like that. I guess improper socialization. My lab is a rescue.

Quote:

Large dog broke free from rope

Seems like the dog was not restrained correctly; If the wheel fell off my car and I plowed into other's cars, would I not be 100% liable. An unfortunate occurance for the owners isn't a "get out of jail card"

Get a gun and a big dog. :) I am pretty sure the owner would have a different attitude if their dog would have had a 9mm in its chest or head. But I am glad your dog is ok. Is it normal for this owner to keep their dog tied up in the front yard?

Perhaps I painted a wrong picture of the owner. She's a lady in her early '70's. From France. (Some how Duvall has attracted lots of French people). Lise B. I just think it's a case of the wrong owner for the wrong dog.

Here is some more information from my wife:

The rope didn't break, the collar actually did. My wife said she pretty much froze up in fear and was afraid if she kicked the big dog she would hurt our dog worse. I said I actually have been charged by loose dogs when walking Chancho and Vanilla, but got in front of the big dog and made myself big with arms up and screaming Yiddish at the charging dog at 120 dB. Works every time.

When my wife went over there, Lise was very sad and apologized profusely. My wife stuck with the facts. The lady gave her a blank check.

The dog is a rescue dog (so are ours). She's had the dog 3 months. It's back is at my wife's belly button and my wife is 5'5".

My wife did tell Lise that we should report the incident, but won't - however the dog should be either securely locked away (cruel), get socialized if possible or find a new place.

One last little bit of info. Lise went to both vets in town to find our dog and make sure she is doing OK. The vet told us that she offered to pay right then and there, but he didn't have a total yet, so I don't mind getting more points on the credit card. I'm 99.999% sure the check is good.

I will post photos later.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Perhaps I painted a wrong picture of the owner. She's a lady in her early '70's. From France. (Some how Duvall has attracted lots of French people). Lise B. I just think it's a case of the wrong owner for the wrong dog.

Here is some more information from my wife:

The rope didn't break, the collar actually did. My wife said she pretty much froze up in fear and was afraid if she kicked the big dog she would hurt our dog worse. I said I actually have been charged by loose dogs when walking Chancho and Vanilla, but got in front of the big dog and made myself big with arms up and screaming Yiddish at the charging dog at 120 dB. Works every time.

When my wife went over there, Lise was very sad and apologized profusely. My wife stuck with the facts. The lady gave her a blank check.

The dog is a rescue dog (so are ours). She's had the dog 3 months. It's back is at my wife's belly button and my wife is 5'5".

My wife did tell Lise that we should report the incident, but won't - however the dog should be either securely locked away (cruel), get socialized if possible or find a new place.

One last little bit of info. Lise went to both vets in town to find our dog and make sure she is doing OK. The vet told us that she offered to pay right then and there, but he didn't have a total yet, so I don't mind getting more points on the credit card. I'm 99.999% sure the check is good.

I will post photos later.

Your a good person Pablo-man and a good neighbor. Sounds like Lise B. might also be a good neighbor. Maybe you could help her secure her pooch if she does not have a man around the house. Win-win for all.

Good outcome.

Regrettably a dog counts as property in most states and legal liability is for cost of a replacement!!!

Glad to hear your dog will be alright Pablo. That is why I have a large and small dog. Just recently a giant sheppard ran through its invisible fence to kill my small dog but my big one fought it off. I had a hard time keeping the little one out of the fight though.

Originally Posted By: frank2009
I'm a HUGE dog lover (not that i'm huge). Glad your dog is going to be ok and dog's owner will pay. My lab is like Audie Junkies golden; HATES dogs. Don't understand how these gentle breed dogs can be like that. I guess improper socialization. My lab is a rescue.

Yeah, "Twister's" problem is that she was raised with her sister, female dogs can't be with a female from the same litter. I got her from a friend, but my other 2 are street dogs from the city. As far as rescue dogs, the wife was attacked at the neighbor's by the Great Dane they had "rescued" for about two weeks.

Yeah some dogs don't come out of a rescue/street life situation with no issues. I have some issues with large protective breeds....funny thing is Chancho is like the perfect dog. Totally trainable, smart as a whip, cool with cats, dogs, people.....Vanilla is just nervous and now, who knows, scarred for life.....

van10.JPG

The big issue, assuming you're dealing with responsible people, is not to be "punitive" in disposition. These are unfortunate incidents and the main thing is that stuff is taken care of and that corrective measures are employed. The automatic assumption that something like this occurs out of negligence ...or asserting negligence automatically is not a sensible or reasonable view. We had one such incident at my house with my dogs. We were returning with fast food and my son's arms were full. The dogs were at the door to great him and as he opened the door (it was dark) a lady walking her poodle was walking by at that very moment. The beagle sounded the alarm and she and the shepherd charged right by him. I was getting out of the car and ran over and asked, "Are you alright?". She responded, "I'M GOING TO REPORT YOU TO THE BOROUGH!!!" ..as though I had some malice and intent on what had just occurred.

There are just plain miserable people out there that have little better to do than vent the displaced anxiety for the rest of their lives during such events. I support their right to be miserable punitive people, as much as I think it's not a sensible goal for one's life achievements.

Originally Posted By: Ron Jeremy
Have wife carry pepper spray on walks.

Absolutely! I'm starting to like pepper spray better than concealed carry - easier, less litigation factor etc. etc. etc.

I use Fox Labs - the stuff will melt your face of for an hour and is effective against wildlife as well - bears, mountain lions etc. (both of which have been spotted in my neighborhood).

I'd really recommend it Pablo. That dog would have been running off whimpering with it's tail tucked!

2 oz cop top medium fog. Probably the most effective non-lethal weapon you can get - better than the almighty tazer according to many police agencies (the majority of which use Fox Labs).

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/sprays.htm

Gary - I TOTALLY agree with that assessment. I was in no urgency to get the fuzz involved....I'd rather have them scarfing donuts on my tax dollars.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Gary - I TOTALLY agree with that assessment. I was in no urgency to get the fuzz involved....I'd rather have them scarfing donuts on my tax dollars.
grin2.gif

I would love to have that as a byproduct from lack of need
34.gif

Stuff happens, unfortunately. An owner can't be in control 100% of the time, as much as many believe one should be.

Until you find out whether the dog will continue to be aggressive and/or loose, suggest your wife carry a fairly large walking stick with her on the walks. That way you have a weapon and a tool to use against the dog if needed, without getting extremely close to the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back