Best years of jeep wangler

2WD probably makes sense in Texas if it's all pavement driving. Texas has lots of highways.

I third (or is it fourth?) the recommendation for a TJ. I'd buy one myself if I was in the market. I had a CJ7 for a few years and it was awful on the highway, compounded by its aftermarket plastic hardtop which rattled and squeaked all the time no matter how many different ways I tried to silence it. It had enough vacuum miles to go to the moon and back and it had carb issues that young inexperienced me never could solve. But a fuel injected 4.0 in a TJ with factory hardtop and doors would have been awesome. My brother has one and it is great.

Why can't a body style, or whatever, be appealing to a buyer who doesn't need or want 4WD?

As mentioned above, the 2WD Jeep XJ which caught my eye as unique, was just that; not odd or bad.
It was in a city, for Heaven's sake.

I'd love to see a Hobbs meter on all 4WD capable vehicles which split 4WD/2WD and how often the numerator would be <1%.....likely under 0.01%

Best years would be 1991-1995 YJ Wrangler (square headlights) and 1997-2004 TJ Wrangler. They are very similar mechanically, but the TJ has the coil spring suspension and makes a better daily driver, which is why I own a '98 Sahara. The 2005-2006 TJ Wranglers I would avoid, they had some interesting issues with Jeep trying to get the last 2 years of the 4.0L engine to meet emissions.

I wouldn't even bother looking for a 2WD Wrangler. There are so few of them, you will gain nothing over a 4x4 as far as efficiency, and it will be much easier to find a 4x4 that is in good condition. I wouldn't worry about never using the 4WD system, they are very simple and all mechanical. My TJ was a California Jeep before I bought it, and I'm pretty sure the 4x4 was never engaged. It still works great, but I never use it either.

The TJ also had a soft top that was a bit easier to get on and off than the earlier YJ Wrangler, but like I said the biggest difference between them is the suspension and ride quality. I love the older YJ Wranglers, but I'm not sure I could comfortably daily drive one.

If you are able to find a 2wd wrangler (unsure if they’re out there, but I think I’ve worked on some) I’d look for a long wheelbase TJ. They ride a lot better. Many people call them LJ’s, I don’t know if that’s an official body code for them or not but they ride a world different and for the better than a regular short wheel base TJ. 4.0 and a stick shift 5 or 6 speed (I think you could only get a 6 speed by the model years the long wheel base is available) would be my preference.

Avoid the 3.8. It’s a great engine in a minivan but it was horrible in a Jeep compared to a 4.0.

I’m also not fond of the newer 3.6s, but all the current Chrysler Jeep techs still call them great engines even knowing first hand all their issues.

Reactions: D60
If you are able to find a 2wd wrangler (unsure if they’re out there, but I think I’ve worked on some) I’d look for a long wheelbase TJ. They ride a lot better. Many people call them LJ’s, I don’t know if that’s an official body code for them or not but they ride a world different and for the better than a regular short wheel base TJ. 4.0 and a stick shift 5 or 6 speed (I think you could only get a 6 speed by the model years the long wheel base is available) would be my preference.
the only years that got a 2wd was 07-10 and only on a 4 door.

I will say my JLUR at stock height was a handful in crosswinds. The aerodynamics of any Wrangler are atrocious, and the the JL is supposedly the best of any as they sloped the windshield a bit more along with the front clip. Regardless, it's a rectangular box traveling down the road.

That said, I appreciate the "crude" design over modern stuff with extremely sloped windshields that makes me feel like the A-pillar is in my forehead (KL Cherokees are one example for me). But you'll never have an unbroken windshield in a Wrangler-- you never appreciate how much a near vertical windshield catches rocks until you own one.

Much like my friend currently shopping, you REALLY need to go drive some. A 2-door TJ is a VERY different vehicle from something like a JKU (4-door).

And if you even think you want a YJ, you really, really need to drive that. I think they're way more crude and less refined than the TJ. The YJ is basically the K-car of Wranglers ;)

TJs don’t do ducks.

A Wrangler would probably make a pretty good city/urban vehicle, short and narrow and turns really tight. And in Texas sitting up a bit so you aren't looking up at the undercarriage of the big trucks can't be a bad thing. A hardtop holds in AC better and is a bit more secure that a soft top.

I don't understand why you would own such a vehicle if you are not off-roading. I mean, I see them in my neighborhood with fewer dirt miles than my BMW, but since you are asking it, I must ask back: why?
For the same reason that people own high performance street cars that never see a track or even full throttle? Someone was just on BITOG asking about oil for his grocery getter C8. I say good for him driving what he likes not that he should be driving a Camry.

The thing about old Wranglers, even stock ones that have only seen road use, is that being what they are if you can't drive it at 75 on the highway one-handed then something is loose/worn in the steering and or suspension and needs to be fixed. It doesn't take much wrong to make one a scary driver. A good "Jeep guy" indie mech is a must if you can find one. Not an offroad shop, they'll just try to sell you a bunch of heavy duty expensive unneeded parts. Plan to spend some money to make a TJ right.

I’m putting my F150 up for sale soon . I’m thinking a jeep wangler , I don’t know ANYTHING about it . It’s odd that I want a jeep wangler in 2wd and not 4wd .

What is the best years and which years to avoid , anything I need to know about
Do not limit your selection criteria to 2wd. You’ll find very limited quality sold/available and seriously limit your choices.

Just because you once had an issue with 4wd does not mean future will be same. Also no one really wants 2wd Jeeps so selling used will be seriously challenging.

Reason I choose 2wd cause I don’t ever use 4wd . I been own few 4x4 vehicles and I go years without turn it on and when I do use it , it cause issue .
Fair enough. But at this point, wouldn’t it be easier to just not ever turn it on? then it won’t cause issues. Remove the lever if necessary, just leave it off.

On my prior Tundra it said to engage 4wd once a month, might have even said to do x miles. I rarely did that… not every month anyhow. Few times a summer I did, and it got plenty of use in winter. Point here is, if you are in the habit of checking the oil, you could easily get in the habit of engaging 4wd too. Going in a straight line isn’t a problem, it’s the turning that is—but it doesn’t magically break with the occasional driveline binding. Just find a parking lot, shift into 4wd, drive around a bit. Or engage on a straight road, whatever. Then it’ll get regular use and “not have issues”.

Good luck though, it sounds like there are choices.

Why can't a body style, or whatever, be appealing to a buyer who doesn't need or want 4WD?

As mentioned above, the 2WD Jeep XJ which caught my eye as unique, was just that; not odd or bad.
It was in a city, for Heaven's sake.

I'd love to see a Hobbs meter on all 4WD capable vehicles which split 4WD/2WD and how often the numerator would be <1%.....likely under 0.01%
I absolutely agree. People drive what they want. But, you really, really have to like it for just city purposes. From opening thread , i am not sure OP is JEEP enthusiast. Might become one though.
TJs don’t do ducks.

A Wrangler would probably make a pretty good city/urban vehicle, short and narrow and turns really tight. And in Texas sitting up a bit so you aren't looking up at the undercarriage of the big trucks can't be a bad thing. A hardtop holds in AC better and is a bit more secure that a soft top.

For the same reason that people own high performance street cars that never see a track or even full throttle? Someone was just on BITOG asking about oil for his grocery getter C8. I say good for him driving what he likes not that he should be driving a Camry.

The thing about old Wranglers, even stock ones that have only seen road use, is that being what they are if you can't drive it at 75 on the highway one-handed then something is loose/worn in the steering and or suspension and needs to be fixed. It doesn't take much wrong to make one a scary driver. A good "Jeep guy" indie mech is a must if you can find one. Not an offroad shop, they'll just try to sell you a bunch of heavy duty expensive unneeded parts. Plan to spend some money to make a TJ right.
Different thing. High performance cars are far easier to drive in city. You still get benefits of handling, especially braking. With JEEP, you don’t get that. Better off toad, worse on road.
Don’t get me wrong, people buy Lexus GX thinking it is safer vehicle bcs. size, weight, not realizing it’s abysmal dynamic properties which might get you in accident.
The off road crowd loves those used, mall crawler GX’s.

Back