Best years of jeep wangler

I’m putting my F150 up for sale soon . I’m thinking a jeep wangler , I don’t know ANYTHING about it . It’s odd that I want a jeep wangler in 2wd and not 4wd .

What is the best years and which years to avoid , anything I need to know about

2wd? odd beast. Why not 4wd and just ignore the extra lever?

How long do you plan to own? I'm wondering if on resale alone a 2rd would make sense. Then again, a 2wd Jeep... been a while since they made postal models.

Reactions: 4WD
Reason I choose 2wd cause I don’t ever use 4wd . I been own few 4x4 vehicles and I go years without turn it on and when I do use it , it cause issue .

I like the jeep for the look of it and use for DD

Jeep Wrangler TJs, 1997-2006, are thought by many to be the best of the Wranglers. The early JKs 2007 to 2011 with the 3.8 are avoided by some because the 3.6 that replaced it is so much better. There's a ton of info and opinions out there. We bought a 2002 Wrangler 4.0/5spd a year ago and after replacing some tired parts I drive it every day and smile every time I drive it. They are what they are and there's nothing else like one. I see a few 2wd Wranglers when I look in the ads.

Have you actually driven one? Not particularly exciting to drive. The 4.0 is adequate at best with mediocre gas mileage, although a little better than an F150. Handling is like a truck with minimal cornering grip and feeling like it's going to roll over in a sharp curve if taken too fast. With a short wheelbase it gets kinda choppy. People that buy these for the off-road capability put up with that. For a daily driver and mall crawler, there are a hundred other vehicles I'd rather own.

Have you actually driven one? Not particularly exciting to drive. The 4.0 is adequate at best with mediocre gas mileage, although a little better than an F150. Handling is like a truck with minimal cornering grip and feeling like it's going to roll over in a sharp curve if taken too fast. With a short wheelbase it gets kinda choppy. People that buy these for the off-road capability put up with that. For a daily driver and mall crawler, there are a hundred other vehicles I'd rather own.
Spot on. Only driven one once (a 2015 I think) and overall a lousy driving experience. Ride quality was awful. Steering was awful.

Handling is like a truck with minimal cornering grip and feeling like it's going to roll over in a sharp curve if taken too fast. With a short wheelbase it gets kinda choppy.
You are making me miss my TJ....

I second the TJ recommendation, assuming this is for a toy. The TJ's are fun, feel light in a way that the new ones don't and also don't have the sitting in a cage feeling like the later ones. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my Wife's JL, but the TJ's just feel more basic. Aesthetically and driving I actually prefer the YJ, but those are old now, weren't as well built as the TJ's, probably not as safe, if that matters, and they had leaf springs. But they are fun!

Keep in mind the newest TJ is 18 years old now, unless you find a low mileage garage queen it's going to need things fixed and replaced. A TJ Wrangler is a bit of a hobby not a jump in and drive Camry. It looks like OP isn't afraid of older cars and should appreciate how simple they are to work on. Honestly a JK Wrangler after 2011 with the 3.6 would probably make a nicer daily driver that never leaves pavement, bit bigger, more power, and better riding and driving. No idea if 2wd makes any difference.

Spot on. Only driven one once (a 2015 I think) and overall a lousy driving experience. Ride quality was awful. Steering was awful.
You're saying it drove worse than the worn out mega-mile GM trucks you were trying to keep running when you first started here?

Jeeps aren't for everyone that's for sure. If a person buys one expecting a passenger car driving experience they aren't going to like it at all. Civics aren't for everyone. Tahoes aren't for everyone. EVs aren't for everyone.

This TJ specific forum is pretty good

This 2007 2wd 4dr is in Dallas:

Owned a YJ for a bit. Anything above 45mph was absolutely miserable. I took the doors off and drove with the top off for awhile to get it out of my system and then I sold that SOB.

I have owned a ZJ for 11 years, though.

Jeep Wrangler TJs, 1997-2006, are thought by many to be the best of the Wranglers. The early JKs 2007 to 2011 with the 3.8 are avoided by some because the 3.6 that replaced it is so much better. There's a ton of info and opinions out there. We bought a 2002 Wrangler 4.0/5spd a year ago and after replacing some tired parts I drive it every day and smile every time I drive it. They are what they are and there's nothing else like one. I see a few 2wd Wranglers when I look in the ads.

This is pretty much exactly what I told a buddy currently shopping. TJs are great and fun. I'd suggest an LJ is even better. There are very few consequences for the longer wb, and arguably several upsides.

I'd personally avoid a JK with the 3.8, but sometimes they lumber along ok.

So that means '12+ JK, which is pretty cool but more $$

If you can afford a JL, they really are more refined in several critical ways, and the ZF 8sp is arguably worth the cost of admission in itself.

The thing to remember with TJs is that you're nearly literally getting a tractor motor retrofitted with EFI. The 4.0 is fantastic in its longevity and indifference to abuse, but it's ~30 year old tech that is underpowered by today's standards and just generally rough around the edges. However a TJ is lightweight and the 4.0 is more than enough power.

OTOH the 3.6 Pentastar had its own problems with oil cooler and wiping cams.

There's not a wrong choice-- just different choices.

Owned a YJ for a bit. Anything above 45mph was absolutely miserable. I took the doors off and drove with the top off for awhile to get it out of my system and then I sold that SOB.

I have owned a ZJ for 11 years, though.
The JL’s drive fine on the highway - I personally limit myself to 70 mph - but other Jeeps fly by …
My preference is to avoid freeways full of 18 wheelers - or swap my wife for the Tahoe if trying to get there sooner …

I don't understand why you would own such a vehicle if you are not off-roading. I mean, I see them in my neighborhood with fewer dirt miles than my BMW, but since you are asking it, I must ask back: why?

Back