Counterfeit champion spark plugs?

I know ngk and denso are often counterfeited. What about champion? I don't know where I picked these up. They are for my jeep

The printing on the box is very bad.
The printing on the plugs is too.
The gaps were all over the place. As far as I know every jeep that uses this # is a .035 gap. Some were .020 and one was .050. I don't think they fit anything else

Think they are fakes or just typical champion quality?

Attachments

• IMG_20231008_152954307_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231008_152954307_HDR.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20231008_153046114_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231008_153046114_HDR.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 176
Possibly legit. That bar code was printed "on the run". If you get a magazine subscription it looks the same on the address part.

Are these just cheapo coppers?

I know ngk and denso are often counterfeited. What about champion? I don't know where I picked these up. They are for my jeep

The printing on the box is very bad.
The printing on the plugs is too.
The gaps were all over the place. As far as I know every jeep that uses this # is a .035 gap. Some were .020 and one was .050. I don't think they fit anything else

Think they are fakes or just typical champion quality?
Print quality on packaging and product is not a quality concern from part manufacturers. It's not a reason for product to be pulled for that reason.

You have been a mechanic long enough to know that you're never supposed to buy Champion plugs. I'm surprised at you. 😊
I won't even stick a champion in a lawnmower.

Champions are OE in some cars and if that’s what they came with, that’s what goes back in. The Chrysler in my signature came with Champions from the factory and when it was time to change them (mileage), they looked fine and the car was running just fine. New Champions went back in and that’s what’ll go back in next time.
Would I put Champions in my Ram? No, it came with NGK’s.

Last edited:
When I changed the spark plugs in my made in Italy Aprilia motorcycle, I was surprised to find Champion spark plugs come out. The quality and performance of that bike is outstanding. After 7,000 hard miles, the Champions looked close to new. I strongly advise against ordering spark plugs from Amazon and Ebay. Too many fake knock off parts throughout those sights. I go to large chain auto parts stores and Rock Auto when I need new spark plugs. When in doubt, throw them out, not worth the trouble rolling the dice with engines.

I got some DENSO or NGK's can't remember which brand, that the ground electrode was soft like solder. Easily moveable with my fingertips and little force. Went to the parts store and paid 2X so I could inspect them at the store before buying iirc. I believe the softies came from ebay/amazon....

You have been a mechanic long enough to know that you're never supposed to buy Champion plugs. I'm surprised at you. 😊
Years ago I swore by only NGK plugs in small engines. Then one day I ended up putting champions in my tractor due to availability, the only difference I could tell is the price. I’ve been using Champion anywhere a standard copper core spark plug is needed ever since with the same results.

Back