Best years of jeep wangler

Jeep: all the bs of a truck but you can't haul anything with it. <g> I used all mine with a group of trailers - which seemed like it would be a cool versatile thing, but it really wasn't.
This defines any SUV for me. Since I rarely need to haul people but frequently haul large, heavy or dirty things, a truck is what I drive most of the time.

Jeep: all the bs of a truck but you can't haul anything with it. <g> I used all mine with a group of trailers - which seemed like it would be a cool versatile thing, but it really wasn't.

Anything since Chrysler bought Jeep has seemed like a train wreck to me. I do agree with the 2wd. Steering is lighter and there's less stuff in the front end to wear out / go bad. The inline engines were better, although the fours were especially slow, but the vee engines got better mpg - I assume because of the cross-flow porting in the heads. Chrysler made a stack of (I think it was 3.7 or 3.8) V6 engines with oval cylinders that would use oil at a tremendous rate. So long as you kept oil in them they were OK - except for the cost of oil - but virtually no one checked the oil often enough so there were a lot of them with knocking bottom ends. Those are likely all gone or repaired by now though I imagine. One of my neighbors had one. Engine scrambled at really low mileage and he said that Chrysler treated him badly over the warranty. So he put a new 4.3 GM engine and transmission in and claimed his was then better than when new. Faster and got better mpg. He doesn't really talk to me any more now that I've sworn off Jeeps. <g>
It all depends on what fits your lifestyle. I drove full-sized trucks for a farm I worked on during high school. I personally couldn't imagine driving around an empty truck bed 99% of the time and having to park that thing in the college campus/city areas where I work. My Jeep with a 5x8 utility trailer fits 98% of my needs and I can attach the trailer easily when needed and go doorless and roofless in my Jeep when the weather is nice. I do have a compact Kubota tractor, and obviously if I towed that around I would need something larger than my Jeep with more towing capacity.

My Wrangler has the 4.0L, and is more spartan than the newer Jeeps but it isn't a daily driver, and the V6 Wranglers just don't excite me. Any Jeep with the 3.8L or 3.7L engine just seemed underpowered and burned lots of oil.

I had to daily drive my YJ here and there as my normal daily driver was borrowed by family members. Always seemed like that would be the hottest week of the year regardless if it was March or August.

I firmly believe you can’t have a bad day when you drive a Jeep, as they are that much fun!

I’m currently shopping for a 2015+ 4 door, patiently looking for the perfect Jeep.

I loved my 1999 Sahara; I bought it in 2002 to use as a parade car for an election campaign and when I bought it I fully intended to sell it after the election. It turned my wife, son, and I all loved it so I sold my 1993 Pathfinder SE instead. I kept it for 21 years and I even used for it one last campaign in 2018. I replaced it with a 2021 Sahara 4xe last October. It would have been nice to keep the TJ but my wife and I decided to reduce the fleet to just four cars. I like the JL quite a bit; it's not as raw and analog as the TJ but it's a lot more refined- and it currently averages almost 50 mpg.

To go to the mall of course. And collect rubber duckies.
I never knew about this - needed a fix of oysters down on the coast yesterday - got to talking Jeeps with a nice older gent - this was waiting for me 🦆

IMG_9784.jpeg

IMG_9786.jpeg

I never knew about this - needed a fix of oysters down on the coast yesterday - got to talking Jeeps with a nice older gent - this was waiting for me 🦆

View attachment 211811

View attachment 211812
We've received two, both green to kindly color coordinate with the Mojito.

My wife thinks it's cute. I think it's dumb like the "Jeep wave." Despite owning a JLUR I see no reason to congratulate myself on buying a mostly-built, easiest-to-modify, largest-aftermarket vehicle.

I've got far more respect for guys who build an S10 or bubble body F150 with links, axle swap, motor swap etc. I don't have the time and will openly admit I'm lame for buying a mostly turn-key 'wheeler.

We've received two, both green to kindly color coordinate with the Mojito.

My wife thinks it's cute. I think it's dumb like the "Jeep wave." Despite owning a JLUR I see no reason to congratulate myself on buying a mostly-built, easiest-to-modify, largest-aftermarket vehicle.

I've got far more respect for guys who build an S10 or bubble body F150 with links, axle swap, motor swap etc. I don't have the time and will openly admit I'm lame for buying a mostly turn-key 'wheeler.
Most of the guys I know who have been into Jeeps for a long time don't get the duck thing. I get the wave, but the dashboards covered with rubber ducks don't make any sense. I could see if it was a mini matchbox jeep or something.

Most of the guys I know who have been into Jeeps for a long time don't get the duck thing. I get the wave, but the dashboards covered with rubber ducks don't make any sense. I could see if it was a mini matchbox jeep or something.
My friend has a single rubber duck that's like 1/4 inch tall on her dashboard. I didn't know it was a jeep thing
She drives a 4.7 wj

My TJ was declared a Duck Free Zone as was my JLU. I like the Jeep wave; it reminds me of the late '70s and early '80s when BMW drivers flashed their headlights at each other.

My TJ was declared a Duck Free Zone as was my JLU. I like the Jeep wave; it reminds me of the late '70s and early '80s when BMW drivers flashed their headlights at each other.
Wife and daughter drive her JL. Between them and driving on Cape Cod, I gave in to the ducks..... Young, old, male, female all seem to participate here.

Is it still a Jeep wave when two Defenders do it? :D

Back