Best year for GMC Yukon XL with 6.2L

Used car prices seem to be in decline a bit.. I am seeing more deals. Cars seat longer before being sold.

I have no ambitions for anything new or newish. 2008-2013 will do just fine. It seems to be the sweet spot price-wise anyway. I am not going to pay 50K+ for a 2019+ Suburban / GMC. When these cars rapidly decline in value. (Whcih is a good thing). There is a huge price delta between 10th and newer generations.

Last edited:
I thought that the 6L80E was a heavier duty version of the 4L60E, an upgrade if you will.
6.2L/6L80E seems to get better MPG than 5.3L/4L60E.

When was the 6L80E introduced? 2009? I am talking GMC Yukon XL specifically.

And when was the 6L80E replaced by the 8-speed tranny?

The 6L80E shares nothing with a 4L60E, The double overdrive is what gives the 6 speed the advantage.

The 6L80E was first available behind the 5.3L in 2009. 6.2L GMT900's had 6L80E's from the start (2007 model year).

2015 was the first year for the 8L90E, But only behind the 6.2L at first. A 8L90E behind a 5.3L in a K2XX chassis is rare.

4L60E RPO code....M30
4L65E RPO code....M32
6L80E RPO code....MYC
6L90E RPO code....MYD
8L90E RPO code....M5U

Used car prices seem to be in decline a bit.. I am seeing more deals. Cars seat longer before being sold.

I have no ambitions for anything new or newish. 2008-2013 will do just fine. It seems to be the sweet spot price-wise anyway. I am not going to pay 50K+ for a 2019+ Suburban / GMC. When these cars rapidly decline in value. (Whcih is a good thing). There is a huge price delta between 10th and newer generations.
Might be a regional thing. Not seeing softer prices here.

Right-I have seen that auction prices have indeed softened-but the retail level is still paying very high prices. BTW-personally-I would call a 10% to 12% reduction "plummeting"-but that's just me-I guess.
From your source-
Dealers don’t have to pass it on. They can make bigger profits,” Claudia Sahm, a former Federal Reserve banker and founder of Sahm Consulting, said in a message to The Hill.

I see more activity from Facebook marketplace, when I inquired about a vehicle and then don't followup, they ping me, are you still interesed? The buyers are fewer these days, cash is tighter, (Federal reserve raising rates and will raise again) layoffs greater, a recession in 2023 would not surprise me.

It's the buyer's market with used cars - either right here, right now or just around the corner.
I am trying to delay my purchase into 2023, because I already have a running vehicle or several and don't acutely need a Yukon XL. Actually the type of vehicle I am looking for is something with a lot of work already done. For example you can sometimes find one with a new engine or transmission. And it can be a good deal, because generally the funds you sink into one are not gotten back during sale.

I once got an old F250 with a factory installed new 460 in it, that beast was indestructable. Nothing ever broke on it except little things, like power window motors and such. I am looking for a similar deal in a Suburban.

My Yukon XL Denali is a 2012, 6.2L with AWD. 115K miles and I have to actually "try" to get below 18 MPG on a road trip. My last 2 beach trips were just under 400 miles each way, and I averaged 20.5 MPG down, 19.8 MPG back. Next trip was 19.7 down as we had some traffic at the start. That's 4 people, fully loaded cargo inside behind 3rd row, and a hitch mount cargo rack, A/C on and 72-74 MPH. This way one kid gets the 2nd row, and one gets the 3rd row.

If I'm alone and I'm going for MPG, then at 65 MPH I can get 20 MPG, sometimes around 20.5 to 21MPG if traffic rolls around 55-60 and no mountains of course, all bets are off in the elevations.

If I'm around town, then it's usually 14.5 on the low to about 15 MPG on the high end, and that's about 70/30 % City/ Hwy.

My average usage is 80% hwy, 20% city and I frequently get 17.5-18 MPG if I keep my foot out of it. If traffic lights cooperate, then I sometimes can squeeze 18-18.5 MPG. Those numbers are driving like you have a basket of eggs on the dash.

No reliability issues, I've owned it for almost 3 years, religious synthetic oil changes by the previous owner.

I would look for a 2010.5 or newer, not sure exactly what differences were made but I heard the DOD was improved after 2010, 2011-2013 is a good range of years.

Last edited:
If a recession occurs in a yr or two we'll take advantage lower demand, greater supply, lower prices and pay cash for a 2012 or newer.

Our 07 Yukon Denali has 183k miles. No reliability issues (I'm the mechanic), 19 mpg on the hwy, 16+ local (country living). 50% hwy, 50% local.

My Yukon XL Denali is a 2012, 6.2L with AWD. 115K miles and I have to actually "try" to get below 18 MPG on a road trip. My last 2 beach trips were just under 400 miles each way, and I averaged 20.5 MPG down, 19.8 MPG back. Next trip was 19.7 down as we had some traffic at the start. That's 4 people, fully loaded cargo inside behind 3rd row, and a hitch mount cargo rack, A/C on and 72-74 MPH. This way one kid gets the 2nd row, and one gets the 3rd row.

If I'm alone and I'm going for MPG, then at 65 MPH I can get 20 MPG, sometimes around 20.5 to 21MPG if traffic rolls around 55-60 and no mountains of course, all bets are off in the elevations.

If I'm around town, then it's usually 14.5 on the low to about 15 MPG on the high end, and that's about 70/30 % City/ Hwy.

My average usage is 80% hwy, 20% city and I frequently get 17.5-18 MPG if I keep my foot out of it. If traffic lights cooperate, then I sometimes can squeeze 18-18.5 MPG. Those numbers are driving like you have a basket of eggs on the dash.

No reliability issues, I've owned it for almost 3 years, religious synthetic oil changes by the previous owner.

I would look for a 2010.5 or newer, not sure exactly what differences were made but I heard the DOD was improved after 2010, 2011-2013 is a good range of years.

This is certainly very impressive. Excellent MPG for such a large vehicle.
I do think GM of that vintage provides the best balance of power and value to cost if you look at it this way.

This is certainly very impressive. Excellent MPG for such a large vehicle.
I do think GM of that vintage provides the best balance of power and value to cost if you look at it this way..

I agree on the value, you do need to look for a well-cared for version as there are so many out there and prices are all over the place.

As far as my MPG's, I meant to edit but timed out earlier....that's with premium fuel (93), and I'm driving as gentle as possible. Highway mileage is road trip highway, fill up before you hit the road, and fill up along the way. But I agree, 19-20 MPG for a 3 ton vehicle on a trip with no large elevation changes is pretty good.

Otherwise if I drive it like a sedan, I will get 14-15 city, and 18-19 highway...baby it and you can net an additional 1-2.

I have used 87 a few times, and it just doesn't feel as peppy, and I lose about 1-2 MPG. The L94 6.2 has slightly high compression for most modern street engines @ 10.5:1 so while 87 works, you should use 93 or maybe 89. The torque delivery is much improved with the 93.

Keep in mind, the 2nd row is either bench or captain's chairs, the bench DOES NOT RECLINE backwards, and can be a deal breaker on long trips, GM really screwed up here. The captain's chairs do recline however. We have the 2nd row bench and it works for us, the benefits of having the extra seat outweigh an occasional long trip, but they are still comfortable in the fixed position.

This generation of SWB models like the Tahoe and Yukon, don't have comfortable 3rd row seats for anything more than a small child, but is rather wide being a full-size SUV, the seat portion is almost on the floor, not terrible, but for long trips it would not be as comfortable. Your knees are higher than what would be deemed an ideal seating position.

The Suburban and Yukon XL have a raised rear floor under the seat giving a slight depression in the floor for your feet, much more comfortable for adults.

I'd you have young kids and won't tow anything over 3k, the Odyssey Touring or Sienna are exceptional family haulers....we LOVED our Sienna. The Yukon just fits our lifestyle better now, and I would do it all over again even with the 6-8 MPG hit over the V6 vans.

Last edited:
I’m not sure on years or models, but some of the Denali models have just an AWD transfer case if I’m not mistaken. No 4 high or 4 low.

I’m not sure on years or models, but some of the Denali models have just an AWD transfer case if I’m not mistaken. No 4 high or 4 low.
If I'm not mistaken, all the Denali trims are either 2WD or AWD, and not selectable 4WD with 2Hi,4HI and 4LO. I wish there was a selectable transfer case, but if you want the 6.2 that's what you get. Otherwise you need the Suburban with the 5.3 in a 1500 series if you want the LWB.

ALL 2007 Yukon Denalis were AWD, the RWD versions didn't come out until 2008.

As for the 6.2, the 2007-2008 had the 380 HP L92. The 2009s got the L9H at 403 HP and the 2010-2014s had 403 HP in their L94.

The L92 actually had a first and second design.
The first design, built prior to April 1, 2006 contained AFM components, but were tuned out from the ECM.
The second design eliminated the AFM components altogether.

If I'm not mistaken, all the Denali trims are either 2WD or AWD, and not selectable 4WD with 2HI, 4HI and 4LO. I wish there was a selectable transfer case, but if you want the 6.2 that's what you get. Otherwise you need the Suburban with the 5.3 in a 1500 series if you want the LWB.

Newer ones had a selectable transfer case. My wife had a 2017 XL Denali with 2WD, Auto, 4 HI and 4 LO.

Ours also got great mileage on the highway for what it was. Better by 1-2 mpg than the 2021 Suburban with a 5.3 that she has now.

Yukon Denali is basically a Tahoe with better options/trip level. I am looking for a Burb-sized Yukon XL. More space and a bigger gas tank.
Still, 6.2L/6L80 and 3.42 and the MPG you get is very impressive.
I don't come anywhere near that with my present DD.
I got about 16 MPG with my 2008 Tahoe / 5.3L / 4L60 / 3.42 rear and after I tuned out AFM nonsense and added a performance tune to run on high octane only, it dropped to 15mpg. 5.3L was a slug from the factory and that really woke it up. I can only imagine blackbear tune is an even better choice.
It's good that the 6.2L requires high octane from the factory, meaning it has a higher compression.

I think 15+ MPG is very impressive for large SUVs.
I joined because i can help with this. Your basic understanding of the trim levels is wrong. To get a yukon xl 1500 with a 6.2 you WILL be getting a denali trim.
Its (denali trim level) certainly not limited to the shorter tahoe style. The yukon (base or xl) is not offered with a 6.2 in the 1500 class without getting denali trim. You can get it in either awd or 2wd i believe (same as the escalades). The junk 8 speed started with the redesign in 2015. 07-09 dont have afm enabled, but there are documented cases of those years being torn down and having the hardware installed (mainly 09, but i know ive seen an 08 with it too) none of them are particularly "quality" trucks, but they all serve thier purposes well enough (typical old gm). Youll find most of them have broken door handles, cracked dashes, broken power fold mirrors, button wear. As mentioned, afm disabling is absolutely a bandaid fix, the bad parts are still in there (and have been doing damage for the 6 figures worth of miles these things all habe by now). The kit to replace saidnparts with non junk runs about a grand in parts, plus whatever labor is at your shop of choice (or your time). The trans arent known to be overly strong. They seem to hold up daily, but towing will kill them quick. I own 2 of them (11 escalade esv, 10 escalade ext, which is a suburban/esv frame/mechanicals). The esv is 2wd with afm deleted. The ext is awd running aft. 2wd gets 14 in town, best ive seen is 21 hwy (that was before i modified it which hurt milage). Awd is abysmal, and it gets 11 in town, 13-14 hwy. Bone stock, all maintenance done, and the engine has less than 30k miles on it. 2wd runs the oem 18s in winter, awd runs factory 22s. Expect to put money aside for upkeep/repairs depending on what level of repair you intend to keep them in. Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any other questions youd like. Fwiw- the 2015+ 6.2 is direct injection and much much better in driving characteristics, minus the crap trans

Back