Best year for GMC Yukon XL with 6.2L

You are sure that 2007-2008 Yukon XL with the 6.2L did not have the AFM nonsense at all?
The L92 actually had a first and second design.
The first design (few), built prior to April 1, 2006 contained AFM components, but were tuned out from the ECM.
The second (most) design (like mine) eliminated the AFM components altogether.
That 2008 was the last year without it?
If so, that's good news and I can focus on these years.
Yes

Interesting. I didn't realize there were that many generations of 6.2L engine.
And technically, it is considered an LT (Gen V) starting in 2014, which is also direct injected.
I've got an L86 6.2L. It definitely gets better mileage on premium. Mine is an early 2019. I would guess I'm lucky, as the AFM has been trouble prone enough. Later engines (L87) got the DFM along with flex fuel.

Also the gas tank question. Can the 31 gallon that comes with the 6.2L be upgraded to a bigger tank from the 2500 series Burb?

That's good to know.
What other differences are there between the standard Suburban 1500 with 5.3L and the GMC Yukon XL? Assuming the same year.

The Suburban will likely have the flex fuel 5.3L LMG engine with AFM and 4L65 trans. The rest is largely cosmetic differences. Heated steering wheel, power steps, and rain sensing wipers are the three differences that come to mind that the Yukon Denali will have available that are not in the Suburban.

The Suburban will likely have the flex fuel 5.3L LMG engine with AFM and 4L65 trans. The rest is largely cosmetic differences. Heated steering wheel, power steps, and rain sensing wipers are the three differences that come to mind that the Yukon Denali will have available that are not in the Suburban.

4L60E 'til the switch over to the 6L80E in 2009, 4L65E units were never factory installed behind 5.3L engines.

I've had that exact same configuration. Mine was short bed 1500 HD, 6.0L. 26 gallon tank, 11MPG and always had to stop at a gas station. 6.0L needs at least a 40 gallon tank as it's almost as bad as Ford 460 or GM 454. I had a 460/7.5L, it got 11mpg no matter what you did with it. In 6.0L defense, it has almost as much power as these two.
I don't want 6.0L again.

Anyway, I am specifically inquiring about the 6.2L, seems only the Yukon XL (Suburban clone) has the option of 6.2...

I need some real life experiences with 6.2L mileage. If it can do about 15 MPG, I am happy.

1500HD's have a 4L80E which are known to cause a 2-5 mpg penalty over just about any modern transmission, The 4L80E is stout but very inefficient!

The 4L60E & it's derivatives aren't exactly modern, But are very efficient & probably has the least amount of power consuming "Spin Loss" of ANY unit in the same capacity class.

Case in point.....I can swap a 6.0L into a 5.3L Truck/SUV in & it will get the same or better fuel economy.

Last edited:
Back