Best/Worst vehicles to change the oil&filter on?

2002 Toyota Tacoma . Had to tighten loose oil filter for a family member . Noticed oil dripping onto pavement . Luckily . had 3 quarts of P.Y.B. . Took awhile to clean up most of the oil underneath . The O.C. was done at a national muffler and brake shop .

The 4.2 V6 in my F150 has an easy oil filter and drain plug to get to. Drain plug is on right side towards the back of the oil pan.
4.2V6.jpg

My Kia Soul, and my wife’s new to her Patriot, and my G5 are all pretty easy.
Hardest I’ve had was a 2002 Cavalier 2.2 OHV with the 4-speed automatic. Filter was trapped above the ATF pan with no way to get it out other than through the fender well. I got that done at shops more often than not bc it frustrated me too much.

Any vehicle with an "under cover". Our 2016 fusion has a cover with like 13 screws. It takes longer to remove and reinstall than changing the oil itself. Laying on my back, car on ramps, trying to line up screw holes isn't fun.

Reactions: pbm
Most of the "newer" ones are super easy. The Edge can be finished in 10 minutes. The Sonata is just as easy, but with less ground clearance.

My old 2006 Accord V6 and 1994 Prelude Si both had unique challenges. I owned a 1982 & 1983 EXP and they were absolutely the worst.

My LT1 Roadmaster has the filter and plug right next to each other. My 5.0 F150 can be done without lifting the truck but the spill tray under the filter can be messy if you're not careful.

Forgot to mention in my last post the Ford trucks with the stupid plastic drain plug that almost looks like a oil cap. Those things splatter oil everywhere because it comes out so fast. And the filter on some of those Ford trucks is hard to reach and has two drain spots too which often we have had them towed back because the customer thinks it’s leaking oil when all it is is the old oil from the filter still dripping. We try to clean them up best we can but you can’t always get every drop and since we can’t get brake cleaner right now it makes it harder to clean up. Every time one of them gets towed back I say yep I know exactly what the problem is. It sure does cost our company a lot of gas money for all those tows lol.

Going against the grain here, my 2008 Subaru Outback (H4) is a royal PITA. The filter is located inside a "heat shield, sheet metal donut hole" - making it a challenge to access and a burn risk if the engine is hot.

Easiest is the BMW with cartridge on top + using a mityvac. Honorable mention to my '86 SAAB 900 - you could almost access the filter (under the engine) from a kneeling position.
Had a few EJ 253 in Foresters, Same deal. Settled on a tight fitting cap wrench with a long extension.
Loosen filter a couple turns, let the oil run out along the side of the filter into the drain pan, when t down to a slow drip then remove it completely.
Def not a job to be done HOT.
Warm is OK.

2nd Gen Tacoma with the 4.0 V6.

no need to lift, drain plug easy access under the pan. Filter is right up top in front and has a freaking cup and nipple so you can catch any spillage. Easiest change bar none.

The 6th generation Mirage and G4 look to be a pain in the neck for access and messy O.C.. Very little room .

Any vehicle with an "under cover". Our 2016 fusion has a cover with like 13 screws. It takes longer to remove and reinstall than changing the oil itself. Laying on my back, car on ramps, trying to line up screw holes isn't fun.
Of the cars I currently service...My daughters new Mazda CX-30 is easy with 2 Phillips screws to remove the access panel that gives access to both drain plug and filter. My 2014 Focus is a PITA to change the oil because of the bellypan with 9 or 10 Torx screws which must be removed. Ford didn't put any access panel so changing oil without a lift or ramps is nearly impossible. I find ramps difficult to use because they often slide out as I drive up....

Best, newer Subaru's as others have mentioned with the filter right in your face as you stand in front of it.

155.JPG

One of worse, Fiat 500's. A cartridge filter whose housing is bigger than the space around it to get it out.

143Oil filter.jpg

The BMWs that have the oil filter in the front of the engine compartment are pretty easy.

Just watched video of Nissan Kicks O.C.. Easy access . Crush washer is different than others ( Honda , Toyota , Hyundai , etc ) . Have thought of purchasing one.

Back