Best/Worst vehicles to change the oil&filter on?

My moms 2.4 dodge journey was the easiest for me. Filter was low and in front of the oil pan. Did it without ever lifting the vehicle. The only good thing i have to say about that vehicle.

Worst was my 2003 focus svt. 1 little slot to get to the filter on the back of the engine. You could choose seeing where the filter went, or putting your arm in there to install it.

My Touareg takes 5-10 minutes and minimum effort.

Remove the oil filter, start the extraction, Install the new filter, grab a beer, re-fill the oil.

Reactions: FZ1
Son's Suzuki Gran Vitara or any other vehicle that requires really long arms to reach the filter.
1631195025938.jpg

Vortec 4200 inline 6 used on the TrailBlazer (and the 6 other GMT360 vehicles) The oil drain bolt it right on the bottom of the pan, if it's a little too tight you can get a breaker bar on it and crack it right open. The filter is a bit goofy but with an extension and a cap wrench it can easily be taken off, although you may have to clean a little oil off the chassis, but you can easily change the oil from the ground without ramps or jacking the car up.

Mercury Cougar/Ford Thunderbird with the 4.6 are some of the worse. You have to snake the filter just right around the K member, PS rack, and filter adapter.

Buick Encores are among my favorite, you don't need to jack them up to get to the drain bolt and with the filter on the top side, it's a very quick process. I could probably get it to 10 minutes or less if I was fully prepped.

The easiest for me is my 2000 Toyota Camry 2.2L. Oil filter is right on the front of the engine, and while I still usually use my ramps, I can drain the oil with the car flat on the ground if needed. 4 quarts.

The worst was my 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0L. 2 belly pans, which consisted of about 8 plastic clips and 12-14 bolts, to reveal the canister oil filter and drain plug. Those belly pans went from the front of the car to the back of the transmission. 8-1/2 quarts.

Ford 2.0 and 2.3 engines are a breeze. My Canyon is super easy, if you remember that the oil is going to shoot all the way to the right front wheel when you drop the plug, and place the drain pan accordingly.

My worst was my mom's '85 Accord with the filter on the side of the block against the firewall. A close second was my Fiero. A bit of a cussfest.

We already had this thread a couple months ago. Went on for pages.

I think it was a 2001 Mazda Protege Filter was Under the intake, back of engine high in the block near firewall.
Horrendous knuckle and hand mangler. Really had to be done on a lift or ramps. I was never a ramp" guy.

USB10mazdapro.jpg

Yep, I had a 2.0L Protege5 and it was a bit of a hassle to get to that rear mounted filter.

But I've always had to use ramps because I'm so barrel chested, so the ramp part wasn't a hardship.

Simple question...what is the easiest vehicle to change the oil on, and what is the worst?

Of those I've owned or serviced for family, I'd say my 1979 Ford Fairmont was easiest. One could do the oil change from above as you could reach the drain plug and oil filter from up top. There was so much space in the engine bay with the 3.3L 200ci I6, that I could kick the drain pan just under the drain plug and remove it from up top. Ditto for the filter.

Most recent cars I've owned are easy. The 2012 Mazda3, the 2017 Rav4 are dead simple. As were the early 2000's Corolla and variants like the Vibe. Ditto for our 2002 Camry

Hardest, probably my 1995 4.6L Thunderbird. It was sort of a Jenga game to get the oil filter out around the various suspension bits that were in the way.

Some honorable mentions go to my former MIL's CR-V and my 1996 Ford Contour with the Zetec. Both had filters on the back of the engine making them harder to get to compared to other choices out there.
We already had this thread a couple months ago. Went on for pages.

I think it was a 2001 Mazda Protege Filter was Under the intake, back of engine high in the block near firewall.
Horrendous knuckle and hand mangler. Really had to be done on a lift or ramps. I was never a ramp" guy.

View attachment 70422

Easiest was the old subaru. The Engines were sticking way out front, oil pan hanging down low - you could change oil sitting cross legged in front of the bumper and not lift the car !

My M5 was surprisingly easy. Just drove it up on the curb, opened the panel and dumped the pan. Filter was easy from up top. The only PITA was having to hook up the scanner software to activate the oil pan "kick" redirection solenoids.

S62oilchange03.jpg

Smaller GMs with the 2.2 and 2.4 Ecotecs are super easy and clean. Filter is up on top under a plastic cap, and the car is small enough you can reach the drain plug without having to raise the car (on a larger car, you'd need either longer arms, or a jack!)

Subaru vehicles made in about the last 10 or so years with the filter up top are by far the easiest.

The hardest are definitely the Ram trucks with the filter above the steering rack and it makes a mess and you can’t fit anything in there to get it off if they are seized which is every time it seems. I always get oil down my arm when I have to do an oil change on them which isn’t often luckily as I rarely do oil changes anymore. And I have seen suggestions for bags and stuff but we cannot bring in anything from the “outside world” right now at work so a bag is not an option for me.

In my experience, the oil filter location on my 2012 Accord 2.4 is extremely easy to access. It's hanging down vertically with no plastic shield in the way. The filter on the 2021 Jetta 1.4 is easy to access as well...once you remove the underbody shield. The worst for me so far is the filter on our 2000 Ford Taurus 3.0 (Vulcan). It is under the intake and I had to snake my hand around to access it without burning myself, dripping oil on the starter or touching the starter and causing it to spark. It was interesting. I'll probably run the oil filter for two intervals on this one to avoid the hassle. Unfortunately no Fram Ultras were in stock so I went with the Tough Guard.

Both of my MB E classes were very easy for the filter, the drain plug, not so much. The underbody plastic needs to be removed to get to the drain, and that requires the removal of 10 8mm (socket) screws. The filter is typically empty if you open the pan drain first, then open the filter housing slowly to let air in, It's at a high point on the engine. No solenoids to deal with.
If you were using an oil extractor, like they do at the dealership, it can all be done from the top very easily.

The easiest for me is my 2000 Toyota Camry 2.2L. Oil filter is right on the front of the engine, and while I still usually use my ramps, I can drain the oil with the car flat on the ground if needed. 4 quarts.

The worst was my 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0L. 2 belly pans, which consisted of about 8 plastic clips and 12-14 bolts, to reveal the canister oil filter and drain plug. Those belly pans went from the front of the car to the back of the transmission. 8-1/2 quarts.
Thanks for swaying me away from the 5.0 genesis. Yikes.

Acura CSX (Civic) - to get filter off I need to pull front pass wheel off and take plastic fender liner out of the way, doing it at home and not a shop.
I doubt there is a trick to get it off easier even if in a shop.

Back