Best/Worst vehicles to change the oil&filter on?

Easiest I can think of was my ex-wife's Pontiac Grand Prix with the 3.4L. Everything was super easy to get to, no covers, and even a little catch trough to funnel the oil off of the crossmember when you pulled the filter.

Worst was the Alfa Stelvio, simply because there is still no way to reset the oil life monitor (which is kept on two different CPU's) on your own. Even if you changed your own oil, you had to take it to the dealer who charged you just to reset the light.

Easiest that I owned was my old 2003 Pontiac Vibe - no racks or lift needed as long as the oil pan cleared underneath the car you were good to go .
Everything was in the front of the car , filter /drain plug.

Never really had any that I've worked on that were a pain other than my dad's old 99' S10 with the 2.2 , it's not bad , but not great.

In my fleet, the Ranger is the worst for the oil filter. It's visible but it sits right above a bracket holding a wire-harness and it is impossible to get the thing off without dousing the harness and that side of the engine with oil.

Easiest: GMC 2011 I4 Terrain, cartridge filter on top of engine, drain plug has built crush gasket that doesn't need replacing. You can use a fluid extractor and not even have to crawl under the car if you want to. Great for apartment dwellers who don't have access to ramps or a driveway.

Worst I've ever done: A newer BMW, forgot the year. No Dipstick, odd locations placing. All around PITA.

Worst I know of: Basically any supercar, youtube oil changes on Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc. Complete nightmare

For me, of all my vehicles, the 1988 and 1989 Ford F-350 4X4s with the 7.3 Navistar Diesel engines. The trucks had enough ground clearance (in part due to the 33s) that no ramps or raising up were needed, and the filter was large enough and easy enough to reach ... the job was a snap.

Acura CSX (Civic) - to get filter off I need to pull front pass wheel off and take plastic fender liner out of the way, doing it at home and not a shop.
I doubt there is a trick to get it off easier even if in a shop.
After doing 1000’s, I don’t find it bad at all. Just reach up and there it is.

Until you have done an oil change on a Prelude SH with the torque vectoring diff, don’t talk to me about tough oil changes. ;)

Last edited:
My M5 was surprisingly easy. Just drove it up on the curb, opened the panel and dumped the pan. Filter was easy from up top. The only PITA was having to hook up the scanner software to activate the oil pan "kick" redirection solenoids.

View attachment 70423

My 325ci was so easy it was amazing. Just like yours, filter on top. Suck out the fluid, replace. Hardest part was replacing the filter with the oil spillage.
And I want your car soooo bad. Or at least a test drive. I've owned four BMW's, but I've never driven an M car.

Worst was a 2015 tdi jetta. Nothing hard at all about it, but every single time I changed the oil I would drop the fill cap down into the engine bay and it would take forever to fish it out. Don't know why it happened, I think the thing was haunted. Easiest is my Mazda cx5.

Worst has to be my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Just not an easy place to get at.

Easiest is gonna be my Mustang Mach E when I get it. Supposed to be the end of this month or early October.

Dodge 3.6 Penstar, GM 2.2 have cartridge filters mounted on top of the engine, easy peasy The 2 Crosstreks and current Forester all have the filter up top as well. Very weasy changes

Worst was a 2015 tdi jetta. Nothing hard at all about it, but every single time I changed the oil I would drop the fill cap down into the engine bay and it would take forever to fish it out. Don't know why it happened, I think the thing was haunted. Easiest is my Mazda cx5.
Reminds me of my dad's 1990 Accord. He once dropped the fill cap (or he forgot to re-install it and it fell behind the engine, I don't know which) and it went missing. He searched, and then I searched, all in vain. So I went to the Honda dealer and got him a new fill cap. Years went by.... One day, the missing fill cap re-appeared, right at the end of the driveway where there is a little bump there. It was filthy from all its years of hiding on a crossmember or suspension component somewhere. Out of all those thousands of miles driven, it chose the bump at the end of the driveway to fall out!

Going against the grain here, my 2008 Subaru Outback (H4) is a royal PITA. The filter is located inside a "heat shield, sheet metal donut hole" - making it a challenge to access and a burn risk if the engine is hot.

Easiest is the BMW with cartridge on top + using a mityvac. Honorable mention to my '86 SAAB 900 - you could almost access the filter (under the engine) from a kneeling position.

Easiest car ever was my 1966 Corvair, filter (ACPF-4) was vertically mounted on the rear of the engine with a single bolt. I had a finned aluminum oil pan with the drain bolt located on the rear. All you had to do was kneel, put the drain pan in the proper position, loosen the bolt and drain. Filter, slip a plastic bag over the filter, hold the filter, remove the bolt and move the filter sideways and up an out. Make sure the gasket came out with the filter, wipe the mount with a rag, lube the new gasket, pre-fill the filter with oil, position and bolt back in place. Replace drain plug and refill, oil fill and filter were right next to each other. All done kneeling and standing.

I forgot about my '67 Impala (396 cu in) with a cartridge filter under the engine - always a messy operation (especially the time the old gasket remained in place and I "double-gasketed it )😲

In my experience, the oil filter location on my 2012 Accord 2.4 is extremely easy to access. It's hanging down vertically with no plastic shield in the way. The filter on the 2021 Jetta 1.4 is easy to access as well...once you remove the underbody shield. The worst for me so far is the filter on our 2000 Ford Taurus 3.0 (Vulcan). It is under the intake and I had to snake my hand around to access it without burning myself, dripping oil on the starter or touching the starter and causing it to spark. It was interesting. I'll probably run the oil filter for two intervals on this one to avoid the hassle. Unfortunately no Fram Ultras were in stock so I went with the Tough Guard.
You haven't lived until you've arc-welded a hole in an oil filter on a Vulcan and taken an oil bath because of it.

Back