Best/Worst Advice You Ever Got?

Might be worth a second look at that statement, spend a hour or two researching that theory. I think actual results might surprise you.

IMO depends on how you define intelligence.

All successful people are intelligent in some way. It may be in their "application" of soft skills rather than raw intelligence.

My father loved hard work.
The dirtier he got the happier he was. Keep at it and you will be rewarded...
I believe in hard work. I’m not totally blind to people who come in 10 am and leave at 345 because we’re all adults. I do think this mentality of doesn’t matter what you do as long as the work is done is overplayed. I’ve seen a lot of non measurement of “work” throughout my entire career. So even at times I feel I’m here later and longer than many, I tell myself I’m doing it for myself. It’s what I know. My dad likely passed that down to me

IMO depends on how you define intelligence.

All successful people are intelligent in some way. It may be in their "application" of soft skills rather than raw intelligence.
I have a MBA and I’ll be the first to say I’ve never applied it. My job never required one. I got it when tuition reimbursement was unlimited and 100% in the 90’s.

Ever get any pearls or bad advice?
After my divorce in the '90s, I was very angry with my ex-wife and thought of ways to "balance the books". A good friend said, "Shel, take the high road here. You'll never regret taking the high road." Literally some of the best advice I've ever had, definitely in the top two or three.

Oh, some of this is getting into advice for living. I was thinking more like
"Don't worry about those duct dampers, their not connected to the fire alarm system".

my wife's favorite saying is expectations leads to disappointment. I hope she isn't talking about me :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

I say things like
  • a 1/4 turn before it breaks for torque
  • idiots and a$$holes, which bucket do I put them in
  • play dumb games win dumb prizes

Just my $0.02

After my divorce in the '90s, I was very angry with my ex-wife and thought of ways to "balance the books". A good friend said, "Shel, take the high road here. You'll never regret taking the high road." Literally some of the best advice I've ever had, definitely in the top two or three.
Hats off to you, for doing that.

You, are likely better off for having done so. So win win.

Might be worth a second look at that statement, spend a hour or two researching that theory. I think actual results might surprise you.
Depends on how you define "intelligent". I know of many multimillionaires from landscaping and construction. Not college smart /intelligent but have their area of expertise.

My father, who was in dread of being financially in debt, told me to never get married until I was totally financially secure. It led to a long life of being a bachelor.
It's a good advice, actually.

Best , buy house age 21 (very down market) and put some money into 401k. Both have resulted in good financial spot.

Worst stay at safe job and work extra hard you’ll get rewarded. You need to move a lot to be promoted and paid well/rewarded.

Back