Best windshield wipers?

For better performance I clean the windshield . Use a Sealant / Rain X or whatever you have that repels water / dirt . I wet down some Toilet Paper with water and clean the wiper . Then I spray some Toilet Paper with 303 or Armor All and wipe down the wiper . Try it

Last edited:
A little known fact.

Discount Tire will match prices with RockAuto when it comes to their windshield wipers. You just have to include (or approximate) the delivery cost.

I recently got three wipers for $13.50 that they installed on the spot. DT uses Trico.

The easiest thing to do is combine their free tire rotations with new wipers. I used to stockpile wipers because I would find super-cheap clearance prices locally. These days all the prices are ridiculous except for RockAuto.
Rock prices are crazy low. Best prices for GM OE made by Valeo. On my wife’s car only OE works as the wiper arms are pinch tabs. I once used Michelin and AC DELCO aftermarket and both just fell off.

Did get a Trico $4.79 at rock when $11 on Amazon.

IMG_9029.jpeg

IMG_9030.jpeg

Here in Maine we have about 6 months of winter, and 6 of sun/rain.

I've tried Anco leaf spring, Bosch, parts store specials.

What is the collective opinion here?

Thanks!
Been using Trico for over 35 years now. Currently have two sets of Trico Force for our 2 vehicles.

Every morning of winter, I make sure my wipers are free of ice, prior to getting inside the vehicle. I also make sure the windshield is scraped or defrosted. I get 2-3 years use that way...... about 15-18k of stop & go city driving at least.

Once every couple weeks, I grab the Rain X spray and that really helps to extend wiper blade life. The rear wiper on my Hyundai is the Original OEM. It's six years old this November and no lines or streaks yet. I only use the rears when necessary and never run the back one constant.

Last edited:
OEM: No matter how many times I try, even the top of the line NAPA ones that cost nearly the same; they never seem to work as good or last as long as OEM (I'm talking Toyota, VW, BMW; no experience with any others in decades)

Strong believer in buying the cheapest you can find and just replace them more frequently.

Replacing most isn't hard, some might need to be put in a service mode to lift the arm fully but still. Especially a few years back I was able to pick up wiper blades from Walmart for $3 each.

Replaced them yearly, no reality I see where a $10 set will out last yearly replaced blades. Its not even about saving money, I've just never encountered a blade which lasted noticeable longer.

I've tried silicone, but from what I've read it just seems to imply they have a silicone coating on them. I've also noticed signicant wiper chatter on several vehicles I've used them on over the years.

I just go with cheap blades replaced yearly.

I have 3 year old PIAA silicone wipers on two of my cars, and they are outstanding. The downside is they are soft and don’t work well on ice or frost.
I have no problems with silicone wipers. I don't think rubber wipers will function as ice scrapers.

I’ve had good luck with Motorcraft wipers. Cheaper than the auto parts store and even cheaper than the “premium” selections at Walmart. Seemed to always hold up for over a year before they would start to tear.

I have no problems with silicone wipers. I don't think rubber wipers will function as ice scrapers.

Just relaying my experience. I get enough clean to drive off more quickly with rubber blades. Never said they are ice scrapers, but my silicone blades tended to ride over ice, frost that rubber blades wound knock off. Probably doesn’t matter much on a warmed up car.

Just relaying my experience. I get enough clean to drive off more quickly with rubber blades. Never said they are ice scrapers, but my silicone blades tended to ride over ice, frost that rubber blades wound knock off. Probably doesn’t matter much on a warmed up car.
We don't use wipers in the same manner. I'm having a streak-free windshield with silicone blades when I drive in the Sierras during the snowy season. With rubber wipers I used to get streaks, squeaks, and chatter.

Vavavroom, from your photo it looks like you are using the PIAA Si-Tech blade assemblies. Are the wiper elements replaceable on those?

I'm using the conventional frame PIAA blades and appreciate that I can save a few bucks by changing the wiper elements only instead of having to buy a whole new assembly each time. They're not the best for winter unfortunately as the frame can ice-up and seize.

Vavavroom, from your photo it looks like you are using the PIAA Si-Tech blade assemblies. Are the wiper elements replaceable on those?

I'm using the conventional frame PIAA blades and appreciate that I can save a few bucks by changing the wiper elements only instead of having to buy a whole new assembly each time. They're not the best for winter unfortunately as the frame can ice-up and seize.
Not replaceable. Stupid wiper arms have pinch tab connectors which means limited choices.

Back