Best way to clean a nasty headliner?

Hey guys - we inherited a minivan that truly needs serious attention... My standards are lower than most but this thing is gross - it sat and the mice moved in.. Fortunately my wife and I have dealt with all of it but the headliner. It's out and in need of some TLC as well, but a little reading suggests that our usual approach of accosting it with the pressure washer probably isn't the smartest idea. So what could or should we do? I suppose worst case we could get a used one but I'm thinking the local yard would probably want an arm and a leg for it...

I'll start another thread later on the whole build with pics BTW

A carpet cleaner and brush are probably your best bet. I actually have a soft bristle brush drill attachment, similar to this that I will use if I can't get it out with just scrubbing by hand. You could even try to mix a degreaser in with a carpet or all-purpose cleaner and use that, if needed. I wouldn't do this every time, as this is pretty harsh for something as sensitive as a headliner, but it can and does work. There's likely some youtube videos as well that you could watch and see what they do.

Many headliners are made from a product that is much like dried and pressed oatmeal. Getting this type wet will result in disaster.

I'd suggest finding a local shop that recovers headliners and simply re-doing the fabric.

If it's out I would replace the fabric. Maybe give it a coat of Kilz before recovering.

Depending on how yucky it is it may be worth finding a nice used one and having that reupholstered if necessary.

I agree with others that it is risky getting it wet, but I'd still try something similar to fabric upholstery cleaning where you lay down a foamed detergent solution, just enough to wet the fabric, then vacuum it up. Repeat if one pass doesn't get enough off. It's possible that at this point the fabric becomes detached. 3M spray adhesive is one method people use to reattach it, though if there's dry rotted foam under it, you may need new foam.

If you can clean it enough to get the funky smell resolved, you might consider painting it for cosmetics. Some headliners don't seem like they'd hold up well to abrasive scrubbing.

My local self service junkyard wants $29 for head liners, plus $3 admission fee, though this is just a generic part price, not sure if same cost for large vehicles as small, but it gives me a ballpark price range.

Last edited:
What kind of material is the headliner? Fabric over some molded composite material? If it's just a little dirty I'd try foaming upholstery/carpet cleaner. Sponging and blotting for stains. If you want to redo the fabric cover you have to obviously remove the liner. Some of the fasteners will probably break or drive you mad and you may regret starting this project. I'd probably pay someone so they may regret their life choices.

What kind of material is the headliner? Fabric over some molded composite material? If it's just a little dirty I'd try foaming upholstery/carpet cleaner. Sponging and blotting for stains. If you want to redo the fabric cover you have to obviously remove the liner. Some of the fasteners will probably break or drive you mad and you may regret starting this project. I'd probably pay someone so they may regret their life choices.
Reading is good. OP states Its gross and removed from car currently.
which pretty much negates all your advice.

+1 for get another one from junkyard. The fabric on most is not very conducive to deep cleaning.

Otherwise some experimentation to see how how water or steam affects it might need to be done.

Reading is good. OP states Its gross and removed from car currently.
which pretty much negates all your advice.

+1 for get another one from junkyard. The fabric on most is not very conducive to deep cleaning.

Otherwise some experimentation to see how how water or steam affects it might need to be done.
Replying while skimming posts on the phone and in a hurry tends to be a mistake. Thanks for the reminder. Here's my new advice: Burn with fire.

Last edited:
Well after a better inspection, most of the nastiness was on the top side and armed with your suggestions, the better half attacked the top side, which was the bad side.. and fortunately only in a couple of spots. We're going to let it sit in the sun and spot clean the bottom too - hopefully that'll know any smell out.

Back