Best vehicle for a person who needs to impress customers?

Im not sure if you are being serious or kidding?
Impress clients/customers with a compact car? Or any 4 door sedan?

If not kidding ( I think you are), sorry but I will disagree in the strongest terms. You're going to try to impress a person with that?
Can you imagine a sports figure or Hollywood star getting in one?
No ...

Its this (and most likely what they ride in when not driving)

One friend of mine recently got his professional license and is a customer-facing sales rep. The main customer base is women in their 30s. He currently drives a 90s Civic so it wouldn't work out very well for him and he likely need a newer car. His family currently has a 2015 Prius and a 2008 Lexus ES, I wonder would those vehicles work well for him as well or should he plan to get something else in the long run (Mercedes? BMW? Tesla? Audi?)

He is in his mid 40s and prefer something reliable, not too expensive, but still shows that he is dependable and successful instead of just someone off the street not really know his thing.

Old-school well kept Volvo wagon. States class, and an appreciation of fine things whilst recognizing excellence... and that reflects upon the owner.

@Astro14 might agree.. lol.. 😉

A salesman's car should be fairly new, mid to large and always clean, in and out. Too fancy and customers will think they are getting overcharged. The best car for a salesman should be described as 'forgettable'. He may actually get more business if he drives that old Civic... customers will think he really needs their business.

Im not sure if you are being serious or kidding?
Impress clients/customers with a compact car? Or any 4 door sedan?

If not kidding ( I think you are), sorry but I will disagree in the strongest terms. You're going to try to impress a person with that?
Can you imagine a sports figure or Hollywood star getting in one?
No ...

Its this (and most likely what they ride in when not driving)
Again, maybe elsewhere in the country. Around here if you drive one of those you just look as out of place as fresh off the boat. The only guys around my area I know who drove one are obese with loads of money.

Model S would certainly be fine (but expensive), Model 3 is the new Corolla here as Jeff said earlier (I'm serious because everyone seems to have one).

Old-school well kept Volvo wagon. States class, and an appreciation of fine things whilst recognizing excellence... and that reflects upon the owner.

@Astro14 might agree.. lol.. 😉
I see them around Montalvo Height Road (10M house, manor with circular driveway) etc a lot. Those are definitely old money and try to be secluded and hidden. I don't think my friend is targeting those and might be mistaken by the lower middle class 30 year old women as "cheap" instead of "fit in". If he is targeting 60 year old old money then yes, that would work.

I used to throw out the guy who showed up for a bid in a Mercedes. Then one day a guy told me when he came in to the office that his Mercedes was cheaper than the Ford pickup he was looking at. He was right! I never did that again. Lesson learned!
What lesson? That pickups cost a lot? That it is legitimate to disqualify business people who happen to drive an expensive car? That Mercedes Benz cars are not always the most expensive? I'm confused.

Loaded Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Pull up in a beater, customer will think saleperson is a loser. Pull up in a S class, customer with think they are getting exploited.

Accord/Camry sends a very good message to a customer.

And of course, one of the greatest scenes ever filmed about sales.

I'm in the wholesale tobacco business and we buy Skoal Snuff products. Many years ago when Harry Gant was driving the Skoal-sponsored car in NASCAR, the US Tobacco company (the maker of Skoal) had all their salesmen's cars painted just like Harry's racecar. Numbers, decals, the works! Our salesperson was a woman and she confided that she felt like a complete idiot driving that car. I, being a race fan, thought it was awesome.

View attachment 153948

Shows you are successful (and also can carry things if needed).

Success breeds success.
The G-Wagon also qualifies as a tax writeoff due to its weight, you can save $27k buying one.

"Vehicles weighing more than 6,000 pounds but less than 14,000 receive a maximum first-year deduction of up to $27,000 in 2022 ($28,900 in 2023)."

A Highlander Hybrid in a up level trim. It's greenish, not too cheap or expensive, might actually be able to carry a peloton in the back?
Still small enough to park on a street if needed?

What lesson? That pickups cost a lot? That it is legitimate to disqualify business people who happen to drive an expensive car? That Mercedes Benz cars are not always the most expensive? I'm confused.
That some upper level pickups cost more than a Mercedes. It wasn't always that way. Lesson learned!

One friend of mine recently got his professional license and is a customer-facing sales rep. The main customer base is women in their 30s. He currently drives a 90s Civic so it wouldn't work out very well for him and he likely need a newer car. His family currently has a 2015 Prius and a 2008 Lexus ES, I wonder would those vehicles work well for him as well or should he plan to get something else in the long run (Mercedes? BMW? Tesla? Audi?)

He is in his mid 40s and prefer something reliable, not too expensive, but still shows that he is dependable and successful instead of just someone off the street not really know his thing.
A Lexus is a great way to go. Well built and not really offensive one way or the other. If I was a perspective client and the sales person or contact rolls up in a Tesla it would be an immediate no thanks to doing business with them.

I see them around Montalvo Height Road (10M house, manor with circular driveway) etc a lot. Those are definitely old money and try to be secluded and hidden. I don't think my friend is targeting those and might be mistaken by the lower middle class 30 year old women as "cheap" instead of "fit in". If he is targeting 60 year old old money then yes, that would work.

If it's lower/middle class 30 year old women, then I'd say a Lexus or Tesla Model 3, leaning more towards Model 3 based off your location. You buy based off your clients. Lower/middle class clientele may think the person with the S-class merc will be too obnoxious and charge too much while a hedge fund manager may think a salesperson driving an accord is new at their job or sucks at their job. Or the client may not care at all.

If your friend plans on picking up multiple people with luggage, that'll be a factor as well.

If it's lower/middle class 30 year old women, then I'd say a Lexus or Tesla Model 3, leaning more towards Model 3 based off your location. You buy based off your clients. Lower/middle class clientele may think the person with the S-class merc will be too obnoxious and charge too much while a hedge fund manager may think a salesperson driving an accord is new at their job or sucks at their job. Or the client may not care at all.

If your friend plans on picking up multiple people with luggage, that'll be a factor as well.
I don't think he would be picking up luggage, but he may pick up a couple of clients' companions and other potential clients in the future along the way, and if he does pick up a lot of stuff he would be able to rent a van on company's dime. I think you hit the nail on the head about looking at what is obnoxious vs what is "newbie", and find a happy medium.

From what I heard a lot of his potential clients drive late 2000s IS250 or new Mazda3, these days they are sort of the "office admins" vehicles.

Last edited:
Back