Best Value Tires For Compact / Midsize Car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2010 Hyundai Elantra stock Kumho tires (205/55/16) and 36K miles on the odometer will need to be replaced before winter ( live in Georgia though so little snow...) . What do you advise for a decent all - around 50K ~ 60K tire that won't break the bank ? As stated above , live in Georgia and car is used mostly as a commuter car around town near ATL (80%) and highway (15%) . * I will add that the stock Kumho tires have not been bad - I expect I will get close to 40K miles or so before they need to be replaced . Thanks in advance for replies

I'd go for the Yokohama Avid Touring. I had a set of these many years ago and I bought a set for my sister (I believe she got 50-60k out of them). They're inexpensive and while they may not be the best in one area they do everything well.

My first choice for a solid value tire is the Yokohama Avid Touring S. Currently have the second set purchased from DT mounted on an 01 Honda Civic. Solid all around performer including ride and treadlife. Been very satisfied with ROI with the Avid Touring S. And as a plus, they are made in the US. As we live in a similar clime, in my experience they would serve you well.

But can't say they are 'the best'. Sometimes best is subject to individual experience. Mine is listed above.

Edit, first set got ~65k miles.

Last edited:
We have had good luck with yokohama in the past.

Hivnig just bought tires in that size, Id say that you cant go wrong with some michelin primacy mxv4 or mxm4 from Costco!

See what Treadepot.com has on sale and/or free shipping and rates good. Also look on Tirerack at least for ratings. I assume you just need an all season. Should not be hard.

Continental ProContact EcoPlus is very highly rated on CR and according to the sample prices they give it's on the lower end of the price range.

I have the ProContacts (not EcoPlus) on my Focus and at 20k miles they're probably less than half gone.

Lots of good tires in your size. I have some of my personal favorites but, my climate and needs are a bit different as we have cold winters. The other 3 seasons are similar.

I would assume that the Avid Touring S would be more than saticfactory
smile.gif

I had Yokohama YK580's on my other Civic in that size and I was happy with them. Quiet ride and good dry grip.

That being said, when I traded in for my SI, the car had Nexen CP672 tires on it, which I knew nothing about when buying the car. After a test drive I noticed how quiet they were. 5K later I love these tires more than any other set I have had. They have good overall grip and are just whisper quiet tires. I could not ask for more considering the type of tire they are. I am not sure if the CP672 is available in that size but if it is, it is a winner.

Hankook H727s really can't be beat for the price. I had these on my wife's old Subaru and had 30k on them when we traded it in. The tires were at about half treadlife and were still whisper quiet.

A litle bit more $ option would be the Michelin Defender. It has the highest tread wear in the class with 145,000km or 90,000 miles. If you do the math it is a pretty good value for the dollar.

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.

A grand touring tire, basically a poor man's Michelin Primacy. Long tread life, good performance for the touring tire class and especially the price, and you seem to have good experience with Kumho, so why not? The LX Platinum should easily last you 60k.

Buying tires is easy, yet hard because there is so much to remember.

First, figure out which one is the best, and save it for an emergency spare. Rims are cheap, and you can store this in your garage. Gets you through a blowout and gives you time to shop around for a replacement.

Now find the worst. Look for possible worn out suspension components if really bad. If only buying two, pick the two worst for turn in.

Look for a M/S on the new tire, this indicates an all season.

Look for an A traction, A temperature on the sidewall of the new tire. "B" temp is OK, but not the best, c is gov't minimum...

Divide the price by the treadwear to get cost per mile, lower number is better.

Now break the date code, Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year. Tires should be 9 months old or less, and not greater than 18 months.

New
Watch out for "Eco" or "Low Rolling Resistance" tires. they can wear faster, and have less traction. They can also look nearly exactly like their "regular" brother / sister tires.

Name brand are nice, but a blemished or generic with the right markings can be had for half or less of the name brand.

Any other questions?

I appreciate all of the replies - my mechanic interestingly enough said : Yokohama Avid's ...He had seen them do well in a number of applications without breaking the bank .

Makes me think that a wide variety of cars come with this size. This is the standard size for a 2004 WRX, but those come with performance tires and most people get high performance tires - I've currently got Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

Have you thought of maybe getting some performance tires instead of touring tires? I'm thinking I could have probably gotten 60K miles (currently over 30K) out of them to about the "WET" indicator if my WRX didn't have heavy negative camber.

BIL has a cavalier with this size tire, so it's not just hi-po cars.
lol.gif

Price Uniroyal Tiger Paw Tourings from WM. You can probably do better with mail-order Avids though.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
BIL has a cavalier with this size tire, so it's not just hi-po cars.
lol.gif

Price Uniroyal Tiger Paw Tourings from WM. You can probably do better with mail-order Avids though.

I knew people who had econobox cars and wanted high performance tires on an otherwise bone stock car. A friend had a stock Ford Tempo 4-dr and really wanted Z speed-rated tires in stock size. They weren't available.

I second the suggestions for Hankook H727---from experience, and Yokohama Avid S, from riding on them as a passenger in a car driven by a non-tire geek who loved her tires.

Note that both are T-speed rated, while the OE spec is H-rated, if that matters to you. For H-rated, maybe consider General Altimax HP or Cooper CS-4.

Certainly use the tire rack's review function and narrow down your choices for your particular car, driving style and climate. I have found my perfect tires(per vehicle) this way, regardless whether I bought from TR, DTD or other places(online/local)

It looks like I am down to either the Michelin Primacy MXM4 or the Yokohama AVID - S Touring ...Both are the exact same price . The difference being the Michelin is a 50K mile tire and is "H" rated while the Yokohama is a 65K mile tire and is the slower "T" rated (118MPH) tire . Lastly the Michelin gets a 9.1 rating while the Yokohama gets a 8.5 rating ...Not sure which one to go with - may be splitting hairs except to say the extra 15K mile warrantee of the Yokohama is appealing and as far as it being a "T" rated tire - why should I care ? ...I doubt my Elantra will even go 118MPH and even if it did I don't ever plan on driving any where near that speed ... Your additional thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back