tires for GX460

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I just registered hoping for some advice on replacement tires for my 2016 GX460 (base, not that it should really matter).

My stock craptastic Latitude Tour HPs are now towards needing replacement. I live in central Texas right now, so weather is typically not an issue. Even during the February winter storm complex, the mostly-worn Michelins found enough traction on packed snow with the AWD and electronic nannies to work the time I had to go out looking for water (I grew up in CT and upstate NY and am skilled in the snow).

However, I also drive up to CO a couple of times a year to see family, and may move up next year. When at home, I do minimal driving (I was telecommuting before it was cool, and they will have to drag me back into the office with a harpoon). I'd like a tire that is quiet, will not get chewed up on long highway drives in the heat, won't kill the already-bad mileage, and is flat-resistant, while also being good enough to deal with CO snow on the occasions I have to go out in it. However, on truly bad days, I can typically avoid going out. I can afford good tires.

I'd love the CrossClimate, but the reports of the lower treadwear concern me because I don't want to lose a quarter of the tread on a few drives up before next winter, and the reduced mileage will reduce range between stops on the long drives.

The Alenza AS Ultra looks nice, but is very new and has little in the way of reviews.

The LX25 sounds good except for noise and tramlining.

The Defender LTX M/S could be an option; almost all reviews are positive and it appears it will last for half of forever while also being good enough in the packed snow. That's probably the leader in the clubhouse right now.

Any advice or other suggestions would be appreciated.

I purchased a used Volvo with an almost brand-new set of Defenders on it about a year ago. Very impressed with the tires.

Since then I've tried different wheel and tire combinations on it as I dial in the looks and handling I want, including Cooper, Continental, and some dedicated Hakkapeliita snows. The Defender is hands-down the best tire. I never used it in the snow, but I did in dry and very wet conditions. I didn't shop for it head-to-head w/other tires so can't compare "value," but it is a great tire.

I'm on my 5th set of Michelin Defender LTX. Im currently at 325k miles on my 2011 Ford Expedition EL. I run the Defender's for 75k miles and sell the take-offs on Craigslist. The Michelin Defender tires should serve you well. Good Luck!

I have the yokohama geolandar g015 on my 19 gx460, a mild all terrain with 3 peak mountain snowflake. But, you can not go wrong with a good Michelin.

The tires performed well in winter/mountain driving.

Last edited:
My wife had a 2014 GX460 we bought new and I swapped out the Latitudes with Defender LTX MS2s or whatever they were called at the time. The dealer gave me a nice credit for the Latitudes and I believe it cost me $300 or so for the Defenders (price difference and mount and balance). They were excellent tires on the GX. I believe they had about 60,000 miles on them when we got rid of the GX and they still had a lot of life left.

I just put BFG Trail Terrain's on our GX460, new design thought I would try them. I have BFG KO2's on our Jeep and F150 they have been fantastic tires. I also like Yokohama Geolandar g015 they are really good tires as well. It all depends on the look you are going for and what and how you drive.

Thanks all! After further thought and reading @CapriRacer's explanation of how speed ratings are tested, I am set on H-rated as a minimum, which removes the Defenders (these will be used on multiple all-day runs in 100*+ Texas heat at ~82mph). I'm leaning towards the Alenza Ultras, as being non-directional means I can replace the spare as well and they have a good shot at better tread life than the CrossClimates.

Whatever I do I will report back; especially with the Alenzas which have frustratingly little commentary online.

Some other things to check if not happy. TR says you are on 265-60-18. If you change to 275-60-18 you can get the Defender LTX MS in H rated with a 113 load rating.

The one review on TR said issue with road force on the Alenza Ultra so watch that as it makes regular balance OK but on the road still shakes. I think Bridgestone has the 30-60 day ride guarantee. You could always swap to another Bridgestone/Firestone product like Destination LE3 (only T rated).

Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 is the newest version, is V rated like the Alenza Ultra, and tests discuss the quiet (noise blending vs. Alenza not quite blending). If you watch the videos on both they bot are compared against the Cross Climate so you can check that. The past Pirelli's were known for low noise (I installed some on my daughters CRV and my Accord for that reason). I had a set of these installed on my sister-in-laws Traverse. She has been very happy with them in dry and rain (hasn't snowed yet here).

Continental CrossContact LX25 gets many good reviews and test results also.

Don't get the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady if you want quiet highway. I was happy to get rid of mine.

Maybe read some of the reviews on others also to determine possible noise on your particular roads (concrete vs. blacktop) Many tires have been known to "sing" especially on concrete.

If you get them from a place like Discount Tire you could ask about the ride guarantee and what the options would be if you wanted to replace them with a different tire.

disclosure- My wife's '19 Pilot has Defender LTX M/S for 3 season in one size larger than stock (265-60-18), Continental WinterContact Si for winter. She commented how much quieter and better the ride is with the Michelin vs the stock Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS. Even her snow tires are quieter and ride better.

Definitely do please report back what you do and experiences. You never know, maybe the Alenza Ultra could be a replacement for myself or others.

I like my Toyo Open Country H/T II

P1030486.JPG

I recommended the Defender LTX/X LT A/S to a friend who has a GX.

She ended up getting the Bridgestone Alenza Plus. Not my first choice but there’s much, much worse - Sailun, LingLong, etc.

I won't be actually making a purchase for another couple of weeks, so plenty of time to go crazy ruminating. :)

The CrossClimate SUV had been my top choice for a few days, as my lower driving volume (< 5k miles 2020, though somewhat more 2021 with a couple of drives to CO) made the shorter tread life seem unimportant, and the durability of a 114V XL and the Michelin Promise Plan look appealing with its 150 mile towing. However, the GX is AWD - what do people do for directional spares, especially since they can't be easily rotated? The GX manual indicates the spare should be rotated on the passenger side only, but that would seem to cause the driver's side to wear faster and generate uneven diameter and transfer case strain. Not to mention, what if the driver's side has a flat? Run the tire in reverse for a while? Or use a totally different tire for the spare and don't rotate?

The Bridgestone tires being less balanced made me lean towards the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 for a non-directional tire (easy 5-tire rotation), and at least it's cheaper than the other two and I can just get the big AAA membership (I will anyway). Longer warranty, better life even before the 5-tire rotation, and no reports of intolerable noise with wear.

I've only had 2-3 cars with matching rims on the spare. I have never done a 5 tire rotation even on my dad cars with hubcaps when I was young in 45+ years. The spare was if needed returned accordingly after. Sometimes the "new" spare would become permanent and the worn flat would get repaired and stuck as spare, maybe never used again. Fortunately (fingers crossed) I can count on one hand the number of times I had to replace one of my tires roadside. TPMS and and normal OCD tire/vehicle checks and maintenance prevent many issues. Unless catastrophic failure the TPMS normally gives you notice to pull over early and check or fix it.

My '17 Accord doesn't have TPMS sensors, it uses wheel speed. Shop overinflated at a balancing and it alerted me. I pulled over in a parking lot to check and let some air out.

The only vehicle I do 5 tire rotations on is the Jeep. It's on 35's and taken off road quite a bit tires are aired up and down I rotate them frequently every 5k. Any more for most trips, I always take a plug kit and a Ridgid 18v inflater with me. I have been very fortunate and have not had to change a tire on the side of the road in a long time. I agree with the post above TPMS and tire checks have kept me to the good.

I have to say I purchased the BFG Trail-Terrain tires at Costco, I don't know if it's a result of the tires or the tire center at Costco, but I had it back to them 3 times before they had the balance correct. Every time they added weight, they were off. I had the GX aligned thinking maybe it was an alignment issue after the tires, it was out but just a little not enough to cause a problem. I know Toyota 6 lug wheels can be somewhat of an issue to center on a balance machine, but man its been aggravating. The other BFG's K)2's on the F150 and Jeep have not had any balance issues what so ever.

For those interested, I have an appointment at DT on Tuesday to get installed... a five-set of Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3.

My reasoning is:
  • they're supposed to be quiet
  • they're quickly available (I wrung my hands too long and got spooked by some icy conditions last night that I wasn't driving in)
  • they're a new model and I can't possibly get a warehouse-aged set
  • they're not directional
  • DT has sites all over if I do get to move this year
I wasn't wild about getting the older CrossClimate SUV, especially with the possibility of getting an older set, and the CrossClimate2 isn't in the correct size yet. The Alenza Ultra and Nokian APT were tempting, but not showing on DT's site yet. The Premier LTX was in the running for a bit, but then went out of stock and again, could have gotten an old set. The main knock is the Pirellis don't have the Alpine/3PMSF symbol, but I'm unlikely to hit a situation where they are legally required and they can't be worse than my half-bald Latitude HPs that, as mentioned, handled last year's storm. They should be plenty for what I need and if I wind up in Colorado and do find the inadequate for the winter I will get some winter tires (but I was also telecommuting before it was cool and don't need to go out in terrible conditions).

I will report my impressions when they're on, and good chance I'll be doing another drive up to CO in February and can really see about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back