Best Synthetic Oil For Cleaning

Thanks Dave . I agree clearance oil or cheaper oil is also good to do low mileage oci to clean engine

My car used Dino oil for 150 thousand miles then full synthetic oil after that more 4 years no oil leak there oil seepage but it was there when Dino oil my advice use synthetic blend for 2 to 3 oil change if leak oil go back to Dino oil if not used full synthetic my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Will all this engine cleaning cause a leak? Some say syn may cause a leak because it cleans clogged holes ... and oil may leak because of that (cleanliness) and not because of using "synthetic" oil. Meaning synthetic uncovers an existing problem and not the cause.

So when I hear engine cleaning my mind goes to leaking
shocked2.gif

This is just 1 of many videos/articles about your concerns.

I'm just learning about this newest Castrol oil, Ultra Clean. Is this oil as good as they advertise it to be, or is it a Castrol semi synthetic oil with a new title? I used to run Casrtol GTX in all of my hot rod engines I built. It's been many moons since I have used Castrol oil.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I'm just learning about this newest Castrol oil, Ultra Clean. Is this oil as good as they advertise it to be, or is it a Castrol semi synthetic oil with a new title? I used to run Casrtol GTX in all of my hot rod engines I built. It's been many moons since I have used Castrol oil.

Castrol is NO JOKE !! I feel its a TRUE TOP TIER worldwide oil. When I went to Switzerland and Colombia recent years it was EVERYWHERE !!! Local mechanics when I visited abroad told me it's the most requested trusted oil everyone uses for their cars. But then again most in these countries drive diesels, 4Cyl Turbos. V6/V8 cars are rare and consider a luxury due to high fuel costs

They see Castrol oil the Same way we see Pennzoil, Mobil and Valvoline here in the states

Dave

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Will all this engine cleaning cause a leak? Some say syn may cause a leak because it cleans clogged holes ... and oil may leak because of that (cleanliness) and not because of using "synthetic" oil. Meaning synthetic uncovers an existing problem and not the cause.

So when I hear engine cleaning my mind goes to leaking
shocked2.gif

This is just 1 of many videos/articles about your concerns.

I like the guy however you have to be careful
coffee2.gif

overclaiming

"
In psychology, it's a phenomenon called "overclaiming."

"To overclaim is to claim familiarity with—or knowledge of—something that doesn't exist," says Stav Atir, a Cornell University graduate student in the field of psychology and lead author of a new study in Psychological Science.

"The general idea is that practically everyone is somewhat vulnerable to overclaiming, but people are the most vulnerable in those areas of life in which they perceive themselves to be experts," says Atir.
"
goes on to say overclaiming is not lying.

i have the same engine, i bought mine used and wasn't sure the maintenance record for the truck. I substituted a quart of oil with MMO for 1k easy driving miles. did an oil change, added 1/3 of a can of seafoam on the next oil change, did another 1k miles.

no ticks no issues seems good to me. now i do full syn 5w-30 and change every 5k miles.

Take your favorite synthetic oil toss in a bottle of Rislone High Mileage Engine Treatment #4102. IMO it will clean things up faster than "the best synthetic oil for cleaning" will. It is highly regarded by several members here.

He should have hosed the head down with Berryman B-12 Chemtool while the valve cover was off and change the oil afterwards. It would have been factory clean without a speck of varnish in sight.

REPEAT:

Light varnish is not an issue and can be ignored.

It should not be attempted to be cleaned except on an engine teardown and rebuild.

But you "Doctor in a Can" guys would keep me busy if I was still working on " ordinary" engines and cars
smile.gif

So, Please! Disregard my above warning for the sake of my Mechanic brethren
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMguy84

Castrol is NO JOKE !! I feel its a TRUE TOP TIER worldwide oil. When I went to Switzerland and Colombia recent years it was EVERYWHERE !!! Local mechanics when I visited abroad told me it's the most requested trusted oil everyone uses for their cars. But then again most in these countries drive diesels, 4Cyl Turbos. V6/V8 cars are rare and consider a luxury due to high fuel costs

They see Castrol oil the Same way we see Pennzoil, Mobil and Valvoline here in the states

Dave

Stick with it for 3-4 OCIs and let BITOGERs know if you uncover varnish.
Thanks Dave

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
REPEAT:

Light varnish is not an issue and can be ignored.

It should not be attempted to be cleaned except on an engine teardown and rebuild.

But you "Doctor in a Can" guys would keep me busy if I was still working on " ordinary" engines and cars
smile.gif

So, Please! Disregard my above warning for the sake of my Mechanic brethren
smile.gif

Since he has a Ford 5.4L 3V with its inherent and problematic VCT system, I would disagree that varnish can be ignored. Oh, it can be ignored for a while--at least until the VCT solenoids become gunked up and start malfunctioning. I would have no fear of using Berryman on the heads as long as the oil was changed afterwards--what is going to happen that would "keep a mechanic busy"?

In modern engines I have safely used SeaFoam (1 oz. per quart of oil sump capacity) the last 250 miles of an OCI .
The first time doing this the oil did get darker , the second time the oil was slightly less dark at the end of the OCI indicating majority of cleaning was done .
Proceeded with using a D1 / Gen 2 SN+ / GF-5 synthetic oil at the severe service mileage OCI for further incremental engine cleaning / upkeep.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
He should have hosed the head down with Berryman B-12 Chemtool while the valve cover was off and change the oil afterwards. It would have been factory clean without a speck of varnish in sight.

Well, he knew that my son had just changed the oil with Amsoil. I guess he didn't want to see 7 quarts of Amsoil flushed down the drain just after 2 days of it being in the engine. I don't know. I didn't even know my son was having the head inspected until he called me and told me about it. I told him I would have liked some pics.
21.gif

Is Castrol Ultra Clean a full synthetic oil? If so, group III? Group III+? It sounds like a great oil that may be ideal for this purpose.

I am finishing an OCI of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in our 04 Jeep 4.7. It ran conventional with the previous owner up to about 106k miles. Just looking at what I can see of the valve train, it has done a tremendous amount of cleaning. It also stopped mild oil usage. I've been pleased, so far. I'm planning to run at least another 3k to 5k OCI with Ultra Platinum (5w30, btw) in it before settling in on either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum for the rest of its life.

All of my engines over the years that have used Mobil 1 have been incredibly clean and free of deposits, including an 06 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 that was known for sludging. It looked new under the valve covers at 130k or so when Toyota inspected it. The Toyota service tech asked me what I was running and when I told him, he said, "I thought so." That was years ago, before the group III's came around and were called full synthetics.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Is Castrol Ultra Clean a full synthetic oil? If so, group III? Group III+? It sounds like a great oil that may be ideal for this purpose.

It's a syn-blend.

The chem dip is the only one i have seen that removes varnish. The regular B12 flashed off quick like brake cleaner.

Back