Best substitute for Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.rmeuropean.com, I buy my Total Quartz 9000 5w40 and Mann filters from them for my 2012 535i with the N55 engine. BMW ll-01 spec along with a host of other European specs. $31.00 dollars for the five quart jug and fast delivery.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by RIPGermanCastrol
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40, as stated above.

Find a place cheaper than Amazon or Advance. Surely, $75 can't be the best price for seven quarts near you. I can get 10 quarts for less than that, and Canada's oil prices are much higher.

Indeed. FCPEuro has a oil change kits (oil + filter) for $55-$65

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40, as stated above.

Find a place cheaper than Amazon or Advance. Surely, $75 can't be the best price for seven quarts near you. I can get 10 quarts for less than that, and Canada's oil prices are much higher.

$32.99 for 5 quarts and a K&N filter at AAP. 5 quarts is $28.99.

If you spent more for 7 quarts than you would have for 10... I don't know what to tell you.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 and Euro 0W-40 use the same add pack.

Also Shell Helix and Quaker State Euro...

Look at Walmart for 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil 0W-40 for cheap...

Pennzoil and SHell are the same thing! Shel is owner of Pennzoil (SOPUS-Shell Oil Products United States).

In 2017, I used Castrol 0w-40 A3B4 Euro. In 2018, I used Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 because of the loss of Castrol "true synthetic" specs and Pennzoil was just something new. I found the Pennzoil pretty cheap on Amazon; it was $48 after a rebate for 7 quarts. I went to repurchase PPE 5w-40, and to my surprised, 7 quarts on Amazon is almost $100. Advance Auto Parts offers 7 quarts for $75. Now, I see that Castrol Euro 0w-40 has lost LL-01 (for who knows why). What's the best option for LL-01 (specifically N54) these days?

Final product is what matters, not how much PAO oil has. There are PAO oils that have miserable performance numbers, and prove to be miserable.
Castrol 0W40 is 25-50% PAO. All things considered, it is closer to 50%.
Now, going to Pennzoil Euro 5W40 bcs. Castrol 0W40 is not majority PAO is like saying: hmmm, United flies Boeing 737 MAX, so I will go and fly on SOuthwest, on Boeing 737 MAX.
Castrol 0W40 proved to be extremely stout oil, whether they have LL01 or not.
Now, if you are really stuck on PAO, get Castrol Edge 0W30 on Amazon. I snatched 6qt package few weeks ago for $38.

Last edited:
How much "better" is the Liqui Moly 5w-40 over the Castrol 0w-40? Liqui Moly is $61 and Castrol is $41.

It is NOT better at all. Now, they do have larger Made in Germany letters.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Now, they do have larger Made in Germany letters.

laugh.gif

To those who said Advance Auto Parts should honor the $32.99 for the Platinum Euro, I really don't know why they would because they only sell the Euro by the quart, not by the 5qt bottles in the oil change specials.

I got 7 quarts of the Castrol 0w-40 for $41 at Walmart, so I'm pretty content with that. The price is low, and because I will lose access to a garage for the next year, I expect that the 0w-40 should theoretically be a smidge better for cold winter startups. And maybe I'm just rationalizing here, but I really do think the Castrol kept my summer oil temps lower when city. I don't think I ever hit 245F with the Castrol, whereas I regularly do with the Pennzoil. Hopefully it will have the BMW seal of approval come next year's oil change.

To those who said Advance Auto Parts should honor the $32.99 for the Platinum Euro, I really don't know why they would because they only sell the Euro by the quart, not by the 5qt bottles in the oil change specials.

I got 7 quarts of the Castrol 0w-40 for $41 at Walmart, so I'm pretty content with that. The price is low, and because I will lose access to a garage for the next year, I expect that the 0w-40 should theoretically be a smidge better for cold winter startups. And maybe I'm just rationalizing here, but I really do think the Castrol kept my summer oil temps lower when city. I don't think I ever hit 245F with the Castrol, whereas I regularly do with the Pennzoil. Hopefully it will have the BMW seal of approval come next year's oil change.

Not sure about that Castrol in winter. I mean, pour point is only at -51, and knowing Georgia winters, it is tough call
smile.gif

Not sure about that Castrol in winter. I mean, pour point is only at -51, and knowing Georgia winters, it is tough call
smile.gif

be a smidge better for cold winter startup

smile.gif

Last edited:

I buy all of my oil from AAP. Most recently 4 oil change specials - that's 20 separate quarts and 4 filters. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 and KN HP-2006. $32.99 x4, plus tax, all on the same ticket.

By the quart or jug, it doesn't matter. The only oils that they will not let me buy at their flat 5 quart price are the Liqui Moly oils and Castrol Edge Supercar 10W-60.

I still don't understand why you would pay $41 for 7 quarts of oil... when you could buy 2 jugs for not too much more or, better yet, 3 jugs and have enough for two changes and top-up. Single quarts are not a smart purchase.

smile.gif

be a smidge better for cold winter startup

smile.gif

There is no smidge better. 5W or 0W, in Georgia winter it is same. Now, if temperature dropped to 0, we could maybe talk about small difference, but at 0 degrees, everyone in Georgia would be dead anyway
smile.gif

Ravenol VollSynth Turbo 5w-40. BMW LL-01. Look at the specs. If you find a better LL-01 5w-40, let me know. Order yours at Blauparts in Wisconsin.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
If you want something a little more basic and still be LL-01 there is this.

It is not LL01.

Or available outside of Canadia.

It is not LL01.

"Meets the requirements of BMW LL-01":

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

It is not LL01.

"Meets the requirements of BMW LL-01":

[Linked Image]

That is not LL01.
It has to be approved. I can mix olive oil, with canola oil in my kitchen and say: meets requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back