Best substitute for Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2017, I used Castrol 0w-40 A3B4 Euro. In 2018, I used Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 because of the loss of Castrol "true synthetic" specs and Pennzoil was just something new. I found the Pennzoil pretty cheap on Amazon; it was $48 after a rebate for 7 quarts. I went to repurchase PPE 5w-40, and to my surprised, 7 quarts on Amazon is almost $100. Advance Auto Parts offers 7 quarts for $75. Now, I see that Castrol Euro 0w-40 has lost LL-01 (for who knows why). What's the best option for LL-01 (specifically N54) these days?

LL-01` is being phased out, which is why most Euro 0w-40's no longer carry the spec. The formula has, AFAIK, not changed since it carried LL-01, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

I find it somewhat hilarious that you shied away from a lube with a significant chunk of PAO in its base oil blend, because of the addition of some Group III, and then ran a lube that's entirely Group III based
lol.gif

If you want a lube that's entirely PAO-based, Ravenol SSL 0w-40 can be found on Amazon as well, or ordered from Blauparts.

Originally Posted by RIPGermanCastrol
In 2017, I used Castrol 0w-40 A3B4 Euro. In 2018, I used Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 because of the loss of Castrol "true synthetic" specs and Pennzoil was just something new. I found the Pennzoil pretty cheap on Amazon; it was $48 after a rebate for 7 quarts. I went to repurchase PPE 5w-40, and to my surprised, 7 quarts on Amazon is almost $100. Advance Auto Parts offers 7 quarts for $75. Now, I see that Castrol Euro 0w-40 has lost LL-01 (for who knows why). What's the best option for LL-01 (specifically N54) these days?

What exactly are the Castrol "true synthetic" specs?

FWIW, every container of Castrol 0W-40 I have bought and still see at Walmart has Longlife-01. If it no longer has the approval I haven't see it yet. Overkill is correct, the Pennzoil product is entirely hydrocracked Group III base stock.

Liqui Moly Leichtauf High Tech 5W-40 (2332) & Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 can be found for less than Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 on Amazon and other online retailers.

Pentosin High Performance 5W-30 (8043206 for 5 liter, 8043107 for 1 liter) are available on Rockauto for decent prices.

All of the above still have LL-01 approval.

When Advance Auto has Pennzoil Platinum on sale, they will usually honor the sale price for 5 quarts of the Euro 5W-40.

Yeah, I knew that the Pennzoil was not PAO based at all. I just figured that if Castrol didn't have the same level of PAO as it did before (whether it matters or not), I would just try something new because why not.

How much "better" is the Liqui Moly 5w-40 over the Castrol 0w-40? Liqui Moly is $61 and Castrol is $41.

How much "better" is the Liqui Moly 5w-40 over the Castrol 0w-40? Liqui Moly is $61 and Castrol is $41.

You wanted oils that still had LL-01 approval, and I know that those that I listed carry them. I believe the LM is around $37 per 5 liter jug, which is considerably higher in cost than the Castrol Edge at WalMart.

I agree with the statement above by another poster - the Castrol 0W-40 that I have purchased in WalMart recently still has LL-01 on the label.

I also forgot about Castrol Edge 5W-40, as it still carries the LL-01 approval as well. It can also be found at some WalMart stores.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Motul 8100 X-Clean

Except that it does not have Longlife-01 approval and the OP is looking for one that does.

If the Castrol 0W-40 available in your area no longer has Longlife-01 approval then your choices are limited. But I would check Walmart, I use it in both my Sienna and my BMW so I look somewhat frequently and I usually check the shelves every time I'm in Walmart. So far I have not seen any with out the approval. You aren't going to get anything much cheaper.

Let's get back to basics: what car, and for what usage pattern?
Does your car spec a LL-01 oil, or do you just prefer it?

Originally Posted by A_Harman

2008 BMW 135i 110k miles. Roughly 8k per year, mostly highway. Very few trips in which the temperature does not get up to at least 180F, even in the winter.

Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 and Euro 0W-40 use the same add pack.

Also Shell Helix and Quaker State Euro...

Look at Walmart for 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil 0W-40 for cheap...

Originally Posted by A_Harman

2008 BMW 135i 110k miles. Roughly 8k per year, mostly highway. Very few trips in which the temperature does not get up to at least 180F, even in the winter.

It's not a short-tripper, and 8k miles per year is lower than average. If I remember the BMW specs, LL-01 has higher starting TBN than LL-04's. Seems like an LL-04 would be OK at 8k OCI's.

Just run a LL04. It's the same as LL01 but with an add pack that is only suitable with low sulphur gas which wasn't the case when your N54 was sold in the US. It'll handle a 8k/yr interval.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40, as stated above.

Find a place cheaper than Amazon or Advance. Surely, $75 can't be the best price for seven quarts near you. I can get 10 quarts for less than that, and Canada's oil prices are much higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back