Best Silicone Type for Caliper Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
You should consider this. I've used it for years.

Scott

https://www.amazon.com/ATE-700015-P...d=1572369468&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Didn't know this stuff could be used for pins - MB spec'ed it for the pad ears only. I think I have a big tube of ATE Plastilube (under the MB label). Do you want it?

Originally Posted by painfx
If you had the choice between the 3M and Sil-Glyde, which would you grab to lube the slide pins?

Neither, but if I had to, 3M.

What did you use when you were a tech?

CRC Synthetic brake grease.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Sil-Glyde doesn't have any silicone in it, correct?
How do you know it doesn't have any silicone in it?

The product's SDS does not list any polysiloxanes. Not that I wouldn't use it however, I have had good success with it on all of my cars (except the BMW which specifies no lubricant for the slide pins).

Edit - I will wind that back a bit. There seems to be conflicting information for the product. Some sources say it does not contain silicone yet others do. Is there more than one product?

Right. I hearsay some say it has only 5%. But the SDS does not always show everything.

I see people on the internet likes to use silicone base because it does not eat up the rubber.

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by Imp4
Whatever the product, do a reasonable preventative maintenance schedule and just about any major brand of product will work fine.

Its not quite that clear cut, some products arent compatible I had major issues using the little packets of permatex brake lube. They would swell the rubber on the caliper pins and cause sticking.

C'mon man, that's just disingenuous.
People use that product all the time with satisfactory results.

The fact that you used the permatex packet and experienced swollen caliper boots does not mean the permatex caused the problem. You and I each could come up with 7 additional contributing factors that may have resulted in that condition.

Originally Posted by RamFan
OP, is there a reason you're looking specifically at Silicone?

If not, you might want to consider CRC as an option. I've been using this for a few years and have no complaints and seems to work as described.

If you're only looking between these two, I'd go with 3M as you're getting more bang for your buck.

I am looking for something that does not dry or gum up the pins. Heard silicone base is best since it does not eat up the rubbers.

Napa Sil Glyde seems to have a good reputation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by diyjake
3M Silicone Paste holds up better and longer than Napa Sil Glyde.

It does not dry up?

Been doing brakes for decades and never had issues with sticky caliper If the boots are not torn and installed properly.

Are you guy running into problems with off-roading, heavy trailering or motorsports applications?

CRC now makes two brake greases - the old black stuff which is PAO based and has moly, graphite and Teflon added to it. The other one is Silaramic, which appears to be silicone based with ZnO/boric nitride added.

The product's SDS does not list any polysiloxanes. Not that I wouldn't use it however, I have had good success with it on all of my cars (except the BMW which specifies no lubricant for the slide pins).

Is polysiloxanes hazardous ?

I thought it was, back when I wrote (what were then called) MSDS they were classified as irritants and have hazardous decomposition products. But whether that thinking has changed I do not know.

Originally Posted by RamFan
OP, is there a reason you're looking specifically at Silicone?

If not, you might want to consider CRC as an option. I've been using this for a few years and have no complaints and seems to work as described.

If you're only looking between these two, I'd go with 3M as you're getting more bang for your buck.

I am looking for something that does not dry or gum up the pins. Heard silicone base is best since it does not eat up the rubbers.

Napa Sil Glyde seems to have a good reputation.

Found this in our local Napa store. The tech sheet says it will not harden, dry out, or melt.

https://www.super-lube.com/silicone-lubricating-brake-grease-with-syncolon-ptfe

I've used the Dow-Corning 111 on slide pins. I usually keep it laying around for o-rings and for my Dramm brass hose nozzle. One day I was doing brakes and I grabbed it because that's all I had on hand at the time. The brakes don't seem to mind it, but there might be something better out there.... I don't know.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Is polysiloxanes hazardous ?

GRAS by the FDA in small amounts. It's used as a defoamer in frying oil/shortening, in cosmetics and in Gas-X/Mylanta/Maalox. Dow 111 is also used as a O-ring lubricant in scuba regulators that don't see enriched air and many 1st stages get a filling of silicone oil to isolate that mechanism against freezing at depth.

I use that grease for clutch jobs where the OEM specs a moly type grease for the specified lubrication points.

I also use it on shims when I am out of M77. The consistency of the CRC product is fairly similar to the Molykote AS-880N that Toyota includes with their shim kits. But for some unknown reason, the newer Toyota cars (this one was a 2016) do not have any lube on the shims from the factory.

30AA6205-CFBA-48D0-A19A-12081BF72E3D.jpeg

6A967354-FC46-468C-AAAA-5E970818D33F.jpeg

I use that grease for clutch jobs where the OEM specs a moly type grease for the specified lubrication points.

I also use it on shims when I am out of M77. The consistency of the CRC product is fairly similar to the Molykote AS-880N that Toyota includes with their shim kits. But for some unknown reason, the newer Toyota cars (this one was a 2016) do not have any lube on the shims from the factory.

Yes, CRC Brake Synthetic Brake grease has been my go to. Because I got curious and read around the forums, watching youtube and whatnot, people are advocating to use Silicone grease on slide pins as it works better and doesnt kill the rubber boot.

Also, the CRC brake grease seems to dry up over time. I havent gotten a chance to try the Napa Sil Glyde and the 3M Silicone paste I just bought.

I also dont lube the back of the shim.

Last edited:

Does anyone lubes the pistons on the caliper? I see Eric O. from South Main Auto lubes it with the Permatex Purple stuff.
What happens if that lubes goes thru the seals?

Do you mean lube the rubber boot around the piston on the caliper?

The piston itself.

I don't lube the piston.

I see that he lubes them. To prevent rust I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back