Battle of silicone greases for caliper slide pins

ATE Plastilube is not for caliper guide pins, it’s for the sliding surfaces and the backs of pads, says right on the tube it should not be applied to rubber parts.

IMG_2599.jpeg

Living in MA, I like to take wheels off before and after winter. Relube slide pins ( have sil-glyde but have switched to 3M silicone paste) take caliper bracket off, remove hardware clips, clean underneath, little 3M copper anti-seize, and reinstall

When you do your post winter inspection, how are the pins and 3M silicone paste?

Good point. Additionally Ate's own calipers commonly use plastic (rubber-like) bushings (unlike most if any TRW calipers) and Ate says explicitly the guide pins should never be lubed.

One pic on my previous seems to be invisible. That's was missing:

Mintex_CeraTec_Main_News.jpg

Pagid/Textar/Mintex/Bendix = TMC Friction (that's why I said choose your favourite color and brand, same content). Ate Plastilube is a classic, however it's a different animal probably.

What about temperature range?
I see that Sil-Glyde Silicone Brake Lubricant mentions that it is heat resistant to over 425° F (218° C).
Ate brake cylinder paste temporarily resists temperatures up to approx. 200° C / 392° F.

Are these temperature ranges adequate for brakes that deal with heavy use?

Those temperature ranges are similar to the service temperature range of the EPDM rubber used to make the pin boots, pin bushings, and piston boots.

If you're really cooking your brakes then I would look at upgrading them to fixed calipers.

Last edited:
Who makes the ATE Plastilube? Not to be confused with this Plastilube, which is only good for lubing the contact points of the pad backing and brake piston. This product gums up horribly when used on slide pins. This one is made by Henkel Teroson.

Henkel Teroson makes the ATE Plastilube, they are the same product.

If you're really cooking your brakes then I would look at upgrading them to fixed calipers.

Fixed calipers won't help with elevated temperatures, perhaps even worse.
You need bigger rotors and improved ventilation. Or just change your driving habits instead.

When you do your post winter inspection, how are the pins and 3M silicone paste?
They seem on to me. Nothing sticking. I take out the pins, wipe them clean. May or may not shoot brake cleaner in the pin holes to get out as much of the older grease as I can. Relube them.

I could probably not relube them and they would be ok if I left them alone. I just like doing it and tinkering with the car

Back