Best Serp belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, it depends on the application. Some serp belts last forever on one application, and wear like poop on others. My 2001 windstar @ 66Kmi still has the factory belt and it looks like new. My 2005 trailblazer @ 20Kmi, the belt is showing signs of wear. To be honest, I've never seen a serp belt self-destruct on it's own. They usually get destroyed from a siezed pulley before they wear out on their own. I've also seen them slide over a locked pulley, or ride misaligned on the edge of a pulley without breaking.

Joel

quote:

Originally posted by another Todd:
When Gatorbacks first came out, I installed one and it did have a little noise to it. That was many many years ago. I have not heard noise coming from any I have installed since (maybe 6-8). They are the only belt (I can find)with a lifetime gaurantee. Never had one break though. FWIW I also only use Goodyear hoses.

When I reach 150k miles I plan on replacing my belts/hoses again. I already picked em out and am choosing goodyear gatorback and hoses. Hope there good.

I replaced my OEM belt (for grins and giggles at 50K) with a Gatorback and have had not the slightest bit of noise. When it's time for the truck belts, it willl get Gatorbacks too.

I have Daycos on some cars and the customer always comes back. I always go with gates first.

I used Gates for my acc. belts whenever I changed the timing belt and each time they've lasted 80-90k miles w/o any problems on my Mazda. Great prices at rockauto.com, too.

I trusted Dayco enough to use their timing belt kit, and so far so good. [knocks on cube desk, which hopefully is close enough to wood]

I went from OEM to Gatorback. The gatorback has whine, its the cuts in the backside that whine, but that disappears within 1000mi and quiets out. The best thing is, due to the cuts, the belt can run on both sides without obsurd wear. I will probably run my belt for 60,000 this time instead of 30k like the OEM one.

For the record, I replace belts at 30K on american cars. American vehicles run on both sides of the belt and often wear 50% by 30K and I would rather not trust it. If a $20 belt can put me on the side of the road, Id rather change it. I keep the old one in the car... just in case.

I've actually never had any kind of noise or problem form any belt on any vehicle. I don't know whay I got obsessed this time. Must be a BITOG thing.

No I mean they come back asking me why their belt is screaming at them in the morning. Dayco makes a good product but that poly cog tech. is garbage. Dayco makes the OEM belts for GM minus the Poly COg. It works great. I havent had any problems with Gates that is why I always go for them first. The rest of the manufactures are hit or miss with certain cars.

gatorbacks work well if you have belt slipping/jumping issues or from water splashing. they are a softer more rubbery feel to them.. nice quality. a little pricey though. gates are good also. for timing belts i prefer to use oe or gates.

never had a problem with Gates or Dayco. napa house brand belts are not all that good. my old toyota truck would throw the napa ones once in a while. no explanation, just the alternator light on all of the sudden. switched it to a gates and never threw another one again.

The factory serpentine belt on my 96 regal started wearing out at 30K miles. So much rubber built up in the pulley groves that I had to s****e it out of each grove. Replaced the factory belt with a Gatorback and have not had any problems since. Regal has over 60K now and the self-cleaning notches cut in the ribs of the Gatorback belt has kept the pulleys free of rubber build up so far.

Wonder how many other brands of serpentine belts have the notches cut in the ribs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back