Best pistol grip tactical shotgun <$1000

I like the Benelli M4, but cannot see paying 2K for it. Any other pistol grip tactical models?

I have wondered about pistol grip shotguns for some time. Never had the opportunity to shoot one however, I have been told that they are terrible on the wrist. I presume it takes a fair amount of practice to get a good hang of it.

Are you sure you want/like a pistol grip shotgun? Can you apply it successfully? The M4 is interesting because it has a pistol grip and a stock. Most I've seen besides that don't have both.

I'd argue a Remington 870 or Mossberg 590A1, with different stock perhaps, might be a better option.

You could just buy S&W Govenor and have the same!!!!!!!!
lol.gif

Pistol grip shotguns, using an appropriate SD round, are nasty to shoot. They hurt your wrist and you can't aim them very well.

Beyond those issues, the bigger problem is that you need to practice a lot to become proficient but your wrists won't be able to take it. You must practice and you won't to the point of proficiency with a PG.

Buy one from Choate for any shotgun you have. You won't last 100 rounds before your wrists give up. If you use a reduced recoil SD round I'll be surprised if you make it to 50 but even if you do, proficiency will still be lacking.

By a short barrel shotgun, shortened stock to around 12" from Hogue and you can shoot a couple hundreds everyday with no complaints.

Last edited:
Pistol grip and stock or just pistol grip?

If the former I'm very happy with the Benelli M2. For pump I liked my Mossberg 590.

BSW

I've had Remington Wingmaster 870 tactical for about thirty years and love it. It's a pistol grip with a folding stock.For home defense I use the pistol grip, but I used it many times with the folding stock for sporting clay matches. Slugs and the pistol grip are not fun. I use 3 shot for home defense. I've run over 1000 rounds through it with no problems It's a pump action. I would avoid a semi automatic for home defense, they can be problematic with very light loads.Remington still makes the 870 folding stock shotgun today. I've been eyeing one because the folding stock has been updated and it looks to be easier on the shoulder. Mine has the skeletinized flip stock which has a very small cushion. And they run around 600 new.

Forgot to add, if it's for home defense, practice with it using the load you chose for home defense and the pistol grip for close quarters. I practiced out in the woods with live rounds and My wrist started to ache after about 6 shots. But if I need more than one or two shots to prevent a home invasion I probably have other problems. The new 870 I'm looking at has either a side flip stock with a nice cushion or the six position collapsible stock with not quite as good a cushion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bsmithwins
Pistol grip and stock--just like the Benelli. The FN SLP Mark I is close and is based on the Winchester SXx models so I may look into that.

I would never consider the Mossberg 590 for a myriad of reasons.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Pistol grip and stock--just like the Benelli. The FN SLP Mark I is close and is based on the Winchester SXx models so I may look into that.

Benelli Supernova Tactical and Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch.

I am not a fan of pistol grip shotguns, the regular stock is easier for me to reload and shoot. That being said, I prefer my Benelli. Action a lot smoother than the M500, better FF overall.

Lots of mods for the Mossberg, not so for the Benelli.

[Linked Image]

I have the KelTec KSG bullpup pump action shotgun and I really do like it. Plenty of capacity with 14 shells in total +1. (7 in each tube magazine) Switching magazines means you just use the thumb switch, easy to use, compact and easy to keep where it's needed. During some recent troubles, it was my vehicle companion.

It also feeds the "mini-shells" perfectly. So a total capacity of 24 + 1 is possible. Very nice indeed!

It's 18.5 inch barrel length and 26.1 inch overall length meet all requirements that I know of. So it's legal in the majority of locations and in all 50 states.

[Linked Image from carmellashouse.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
I have the KelTec KSG bullpup pump action shotgun and I really do like it. Plenty of capacity with 14 shells in total +1. (7 in each tube magazine) Switching magazines means you just use the thumb switch, easy to use, compact and easy to keep where it's needed. During some recent troubles, it was my vehicle companion.

It also feeds the "mini-shells" perfectly. So a total capacity of 24 + 1 is possible. Very nice indeed!

It's 18.5 inch barrel length and 26.1 inch overall length meet all requirements that I know of. So it's legal in the majority of locations and in all 50 states.

[Linked Image from carmellashouse.com]

Love it!!!

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

So hen you ask for "best", what quality or function are you after in the weapon proper?

Many now can be retrofitted so that goes back to the gun.

Back