best oil to use in an oil burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try 10w40 high mileage oil, Maxlife or mobil1 high mileage work excellent. I am in northern NY and my temps are much colder than you experience, my vehicles start fine with 10w.
If your worried about it try 5w40 Rotella T6.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Ok listen I'm not doing anymore piston soak [censored]. They have absolutely no carbon on them. It has gotten better so it did work.

Who the [censored] said anything about CARBON? It is VARNISH that makes the rings stick.

MMO has a cult-like following. Some people likely use it as hair tonic and underarm deodorant. That doesn't mean it is good at removing varnish however.

Anyway you came on here asking for advice. We gave you advice. You didn't follow the advice. Then you started another thread about the same car and the same issue, then get all cranky when the fact that you did what you WANTED rather than what was RECOMMENDED and the results were NOT satisfactory was pointed out.

Gotcha. You know better than we do. Then why ask the questions if you already know the answers?

You have absolutely no facts that your opinions work. I listened to the rhetoric over and over and I appreciate it and will try it in the future . However this topic wasn't about which tonic to shove down my cylinders it was about what oil would be the best oil for a car that uses oil. It's a different topic. And mmo has been used and worked a lot of times so bash it all you will but I've seen enough to know that the stuff does work. Now end of story do you have an oil preference you would like to recommend? If not please leave it alone. And for the record it is carbon build up that makes the rings stick. That's what Saturn says and just about everyone else to . I'm inclined to believe the people who built the car on a topic like that.

You have absolutely no facts that your opinions work. I listened to the rhetoric over and over and I appreciate it and will try it in the future . However this topic wasn't about which tonic to shove down my cylinders it was about what oil would be the best oil for a car that uses oil. It's a different topic. And mmo has been used and worked a lot of times so bash it all you will but I've seen enough to know that the stuff does work. Now end of story do you have an oil preference you would like to recommend? If not please leave it alone. And for the record it is carbon build up that makes the rings stick. That's what Saturn says and just about everyone else to . I'm inclined to believe the people who built the car on a topic like that.

No facts?

Son, I've worked on and had more engines apart than you'll likely ever see. Ranging from 1920's antique flatheads to modern EFI build-ups. I've posted pictures of one of the 302's we were building recently. I've posted pictures of my own cylinder heads on here.

My grandfather was an antique boat fanatic (he owned 45 boats) and I spent every summer wrenching and playing with them. I've used a wide array of solvents, chemicals and "magic potions" over the years to try and clean stuff up, and when I say the Delco stuff works, it is because I've USED IT. It was recommended to me by an engine builder, and he knew what he was talking about.

Plenty of guys dump junk into their engines and can proclaim all kinds of silly things about what it did or didn't do. However, I've actually used the product on varnished components that have come OUT of an engine and watched it literally wash the varnish (and carbon) off the part. THAT is why I recommended it.

No "rhetoric" here, just experience. Feel free to dismiss it however.

I don't doubt your intelligence about mechanical things. I'm telling you that mmo helped but I believe there isn't a cure. The oil control rings are probably stiff and don't have any give in them which causes it to use oil as well and nothing except a rebuild is going to fix that. I'm not interested in doing more magic potions. I've tried it and it helped but I didnt expect It to cure it. The car has 190k its not going to be perfect. And not to be rude but I guarantee I will have torn down more engine than you in my life time. I'm going to school for autotech and engineering it'll be my career so I'm sure ill do plenty. Not that the mechanical parts have much to do with using certain cleaning products. Mmo has excellent cleaning abilities and plenty of Saturn forums agree , that doesn't mean its the only product I'm sure there are others that are just as good or better. But its my choice to not do that anymore. I don't have the money to keep trying stuff and changing oil everytime. The engine had a bg flush at 98k and 150k I've done a few soaks and its no longer viable to do so. I'm not opposed to daying your advice in the future but for now I'm not going to do it. I hope you can understand that and let it go. And for the record I aint your [censored] son and if you would momentous continue the discussion a little respect would be wise and appreciated

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

MMO has a cult-like following. Some people likely use it as hair tonic and underarm deodorant.

I might try that for underarm deodorant. I haven't been able to find anything strong enough.
grin2.gif

Hey did you see that link I sent? The lady with a 98 Saturn burning same amount as you that used Lucas Oil stabilizer and it all but stopped! Stuffs been around for years and years. NOT a magic potion, its basically thick slippery oil in a squirt bottle. Creeps right around those rings, blocking the thinner oil from getting through. Its cheap, on every auto parts store shelf, even walmart. You'll know in a day or so if its helping.

I don't doubt your intelligence about mechanical things. I'm telling you that mmo helped but I believe there isn't a cure. The oil control rings are probably stiff and don't have any give in them which causes it to use oil as well and nothing except a rebuild is going to fix that. I'm not interested in doing more magic potions. I've tried it and it helped but I didnt expect It to cure it. The car has 190k its not going to be perfect. And not to be rude but I guarantee I will have torn down more engine than you in my life time. I'm going to school for autotech and engineering it'll be my career so I'm sure ill do plenty. Not that the mechanical parts have much to do with using certain cleaning products. Mmo has excellent cleaning abilities and plenty of Saturn forums agree , that doesn't mean its the only product I'm sure there are others that are just as good or better. But its my choice to not do that anymore. I don't have the money to keep trying stuff and changing oil everytime. The engine had a bg flush at 98k and 150k I've done a few soaks and its no longer viable to do so. I'm not opposed to daying your advice in the future but for now I'm not going to do it. I hope you can understand that and let it go. And for the record I aint your [censored] son and if you would momentous continue the discussion a little respect would be wise and appreciated

Well you do have the term "boy" in your name, I figured the "son" was appropriate, LOL! Come on, have a sense of humour! A thinly veiled threat "it would be wise"?, come on, you are going to come up to Canada from Missouri looking for somebody because they jokingly called you "son" on a message board? really?

Great that you are going to school for autotech (you will likely understand my comments and logic a lot more once you have had a few engines apart) but depending on where you end up/end up doing, you may really not tear down that many. I took them apart because I either had to or because they were there to be taken apart. And that is why the range of engines is so broad. We had a big collection. Though my experience is the most diverse regarding marine engines.

Keep track, we can trade notes on how many you actually end up doing later on
wink.gif
I assume for right now however, that my statement stands, correct? How many have you had apart currently?

How many of the guys on the Saturn forums have actually taken the pistons out of the engine and soaked them or sat them in MMO and witnessed it actually doing anything? That's the sort of comparison I was trying to draw up. Plenty of guys will swear valley girdles can keep a stock 302 together. Doesn't mean they are right.

And remember, it wasn't only my advice. There were others that recommended the same course of action. I may have been the most vocal, but far from the only voice in the crowd.

BTW, I have no idea what you mean by "if you would momentous continue" ??

Regarding the rings, yes, they have probably lost their tension. I think that was part of the issue with them to begin with if I remember correctly. However, if they are glued to the ring lands, they are going to be REALLY useless
grin.gif

I'm not saying "GO USE THE DELCO STUFF". I know you aren't going to. I'm just wishing you had tried it when you were in the process instead of using MMO. I think you would have had better results based on my experience with the product. That's all.

Cheers.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

MMO has a cult-like following. Some people likely use it as hair tonic and underarm deodorant.

I might try that for underarm deodorant. I haven't been able to find anything strong enough.
grin2.gif

It is the magic elixir! It can do ANYTHING!
grin.gif

grin2.gif

grin.gif

Not really. I tried it in the place of milk when I had diarrhea, and it didnt cure that. Made it worse actually. I was so disappointed I swore off the stuff.

Originally Posted By: 97f150

grin2.gif

grin.gif

Not really. I tried it in the place of milk when I had diarrhea, and it didnt cure that. Made it worse actually. I was so disappointed I swore off the stuff.

Did you dilute it with PYB? If not, that's your problem. You used it in concentrate and it performed an enema instead.

I'm not sure how many engines I've torn apart probably 8-10 not a lot all the engines I've done were clean and cared for. I didn't mean you would be wise in a threatening way , I meant it as we both look stupid bickering and your right about my name i don't know why chose it I think it was the first thing that popped in my head. also I don't like Chevrolet that much anymore the company is to corrupt for my taste I do like the older Chevys though. And I have no interest in going to Canada your right about that I.wouldn't get along up there the govt would probably kill me although America theses days is scaring the [censored] out of me. Back on topic I thought that seafoam was pretty decent for cleaning rings and such?

I'm not sure how many engines I've torn apart probably 8-10 not a lot all the engines I've done were clean and cared for. I didn't mean you would be wise in a threatening way , I meant it as we both look stupid bickering and your right about my name i don't know why chose it I think it was the first thing that popped in my head. also I don't like Chevrolet that much anymore the company is to corrupt for my taste I do like the older Chevys though. And I have no interest in going to Canada your right about that I.wouldn't get along up there the govt would probably kill me although America theses days is scaring the [censored] out of me. Back on topic I thought that seafoam was pretty decent for cleaning rings and such?

Glad we got that cleared up
grin.gif

I'm surprised (and impressed). You've torn down more than I gave you credit for. And likely far, FAR more than 90% of the people on this site. That isn't a knock at anyone else, I just find you have a better idea as to where build-up and stuff occurs and the TYPES of build-up when you've been in there and witnessed it first-hand.

So, on the ones you tore down, even if they were clean, did you pay attention to any build-up in the ring land area? It is like hardened floor varnish. That's the stuff that is hard to remove.

I heard the same things about Seafoam as you have. So a buddy of mine picked some up and we compared it to the AC Delco stuff. It wasn't even close. The Seafoam was no where near as effective.

If I was in your boat, I'd just run the least expensive 15w40 in that car that I could. It would likely minimize the consumption (as you've already experienced) and will be cheap to use.

I put 10w40 in it now just because of winter. But I will go ahead and get the ac Telco stuff when I'm due for an oil change. If it only uses a quart every 1500 miles I can deal wit that but every 2 fill ups sucks I will keep you posted on how consumption is now. I really do like mmo I've seen it clean pretty well . I've never used the stuff you mentioned though. I will try it [censored] maybe I can get it to use zero oil. I wont claim to know an abundance on ohc engines all I've torn down were pushrods . I come on this site a lot because I enjoy different thoughts an opinion and I can never learn enough. The worst engine I've done was a 305 it was sludge everywhere all of the other engines were very clean everywhere. And always used valvoline if that means anything. So I can't claim to know a whole bunch about dirty engines. I know on the Saturn on the pistons was full of carbon and have been told it was carbon that clogged the oil rings but I've never seen it apart.

That's funny, the worst I've ever torn apart was a sludged-up 350 IIRC. A buddy's dad picked up up to see if it was a worthwhile build candidate. I don't know if the oil was changed, and if so, what with, but it was a disaster!! He and I laughed our heads off as we were looking at it wondering where to start
grin.gif

Please keep me posted and let me know when you pick up the AC Delco stuff, as I would recommend a process to using it.

Good luck!

-Chris

I'm not sure how many engines I've torn apart probably 8-10 not a lot all the engines I've done were clean and cared for.

Since you have the experience, and the car is in good shape, have you considered tearing down this engine and rebuilding it? That is the absolute best plan of action here, and doing the labor yourself would keep the costs pretty low.

I have no interest in doing that it runs great and doesnt smoke Im not guna rebuild it because of some oil usage. I can't afford the down time anyway

Where would I get this stuff? I don't think my oreilly has It

NAPA or a GM dealer should have it.

To OP: You may want to try Auto RX. It's supposed to clean rings (as well as everything else the oil touches) and to help rings seal better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back