Best Oil For 23hp Kohler in Canadian Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! My first post in this forum, although I have been lurking around reading for sometime. Here's my situation: I have a Lincoln welder with a 23hp Kohler air cooled engine. I bought it brand new in November of 2010, and did the 1st oil change after 5 hours. I put in Petro-Canada Duron XL 0W-30 synthetic blend at that time, and didn't use the machine much over the winter. With spring around the corner and the potential for lots of hard use coming up, I have stocked up on Amsoil ASE for summertime use. My 1st question is: Is the Amsoil ASE my BEST choice for hot summer use. And 2nd question: What would be the BEST oil for next winter, assuming lots of hard use as well. Keep in mind I'm in Canada and can see -30degree weather very often. Thanks.

IMO, Castrol Syntec 'GC' 0W-30 is the best OPE oil that is easy to get.

Amsoil makes excellent products, so the ASE would be great for summer use.

GC or Esso XD3 0W30 should be good choices.

Both are high HTHS, shear stable, thick 30s and you could probably use them confidently through the summer too. You could also use something like Rotella T 15W40 in the heat of summer if you wanted to as well.

I've used ASE. It has some nice sounding properties like no VIIs and lots of corrosion resistance for periods of storage or non-use. On the other hand, I found my Honda OHV engines noisy on ASE and noticeably quieter on an old formula (API SL) M1 10W30, Rotella T or Esso XD3 15W40.

I'm not claiming ASE isn't "protecting", but I'm pretty confident that Rotella and XD3 are protecting just fine as well. They're both cheaper and quieter. XD3 is a steal at Walmarts in Canada.

Last edited:
+1 for Bror Jace's recommendation of Delo synthetic 0W30 HDEO.

Coming out of the third season I've used this oil in a diesel tractor with a rear mounted blower and front loader blade, closer to the house I use a smaller garden tractor and snowblower. I use this oil in them all. It is excellent at low-tempurature starting and must be durable, I used no oil to speak of even under heavy load plowing deep snow. With an extremely long drive, it takes over an hour just to clean a snowfall up. This is just plain good oil. I switch to 5W40 Delvac in the summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Thanks CSM746.

You know, Chevron now makes a version of Delo in 5W-40.

No matter how many people think it's great he might have a hard time getting any of them in Canada. Perhaps more products are available out west than in the Toronto area. Only ONE time have I seen anything from the Delo line on shelves and it sure wasn't 0W30.

XD3 0W30, on the other hand, is only available in Canada. He should be able to find that somewhere local - perhaps even Walmart.

Craig, one big drawback to using Chevron's products is their hit-or-miss distribution chain. I searched for their products locally for about a decade. I called their 800 numbers, etc ... to no avail.

Then, this past year, I was looking and putting in my zip code in one of their "dealer finders" (instead of my state code) and found there was a dealer right across the state line in Massachusetts ... and he would deliver free to my place of work if I bought in case quantities.

So, you never know what you'll find if you look hard and long enough.

Regarding the availability of Chevron products...these guys are correct....I did not find 0W30 HDEO on the shelves around here either. I did get on Chevron's site and located a Chevron distributor in Port Huron MI named Michigan Petroleum Technologies. I contacted them and one of their regional sales reps lived 6 miles from my house and brought a case home for me. I live a long way from Port Huron....they also said they could include in a shipment to a dealer. This firm was very helpful, even though I don't buy beyond a case at a time. Being oil obsessed like many on this site, I believe the more robust add pack was worth the search.

iam not an oil expert, i just play one on TV, LOL. in kansas on a street truck i use valvoline premium blue diesel 15w-40 dino. you might need the full synthetic diesel 5w-40 both meet cj-4. go to a cummins dealer get broachers cf-2272 and cf-2134. in cummins diesels its the factory fill

If you can not find a 0W-30, or a 5W-30 systhetic (stay with systhetic), Yamaha 4 cycle snowmobile oil should be available in Canada. Also, some people ride motorcycles in the winter, so some motorcycle shops should have a good winter 4 cycle oil.

I would try Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic. It's a ton cheaper than Yamaha or any other ATV/snowmobile/motorcycle engine oil.

Well, any new recommendations? I'm working on the pipeline in Saskatchewan and its about time to dump my Amsoil ASE for a winter grade oil. Should it be GC 0W30 or a Heavy Duty Diesel oil? Please be specific. I expect lots of very cold engine starts.

Originally Posted By: atc250r
Well, any new recommendations? I'm working on the pipeline in Saskatchewan and its about time to dump my Amsoil ASE for a winter grade oil. Should it be GC 0W30 or a Heavy Duty Diesel oil? Please be specific. I expect lots of very cold engine starts.

I know it's not the thinnest oil at cold, but have you looked at Amsoil HDD 5W-30, it should do -30°C no problem.

Amsoil HDD 5W-30

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Use either rotella t-5 0w-40 or t-6 5w-40. It's great oil at a reasonable price

+1. Rotella 5w40 is easy to find as well.

T-5 can be had in 0W-30 as well.

I use Mobil-1 0W-30 in my snowblower, have done so for years.

Works great.

I would think Canada folks would have several 0W-30's to choose from.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
IMO, Castrol Syntec 'GC' 0W-30 is the best OPE oil that is easy to get.

Amsoil makes excellent products, so the ASE would be great for summer use.

Castrol Syntec "GC" 0W-30 European Formula made in Germany is now Castrol Edge 0W-30 European Formula made in Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back