Oil Filter Question- 27HP Kohler Confidant

Hi im wanting to change from my oem kohler filter to a wix. The oem filter is a 52-050-02. I
Did some reading here and some other places and i see alot of guys are using the wix 51348 with good results. When i enter the kohler part number on the wix website it comes back to part # WL10068. There is a pretty big price difference in these filters….what is the difference in them causing the increase? Which one is the best choice for my application? This is just a residential mower that i use once a week. Its a cub cadet pro z 100 zero turn.

Thanks.

Application specific filters tend to sell in much lower volumes than more common automotive filters, I don't see any reason why the 51348 or equivalent part wouldn't work, usually small engine filters are a little shorter than their closest automotive counter part but it's not enough to cause alarm and I wouldn't pay 2 or 3 times as much for the application specific part over an off the shelf automotive part that is virtually identical except being a hair taller. The Supertech ST3614 from walmart would suit you well for less than $4 it's essentially the same thing as the OEM Kohler filter just it doesn't have the Kohler name stamped on it with a ridiculous markup.
1651813671390.jpg

Wix 51516 is the same base as 51348, but an inch and a half longer…

If there are no obstruction, I use the 51516….

Wix 51516 is the same base as 51348, but an inch and a half longer…

If there are no obstruction, I use the 51516….
On most small engines I recommend against sticking the largest oil filter that will fit on them because often times they're oriented in a way that the oil may drain back out and flood the sump.

FWIW I use Motorcraft filters on my 15HP Kohler in my JD LT150. Mine calls for a FL-400S. According to the cross reference you could use a FL-910S. They are ~$4 at Walmart.

just my $0.02

Back