Best Oil For 23hp Kohler in Canadian Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Use either rotella t-5 0w-40 or t-6 5w-40. It's great oil at a reasonable price

+1. Rotella 5w40 is easy to find as well.

Agree with the above.

Well, I can't find ANY HDEO 0W-30 in quart/liter bottles, so I'm gonna have to go with either German Castrol 0W-30, or Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. Just by shaking the bottles in the store, its clear that the PP is a much thinner oil. Shakes much like water at room temperature. So I guess German Castrol would get the nod from all the experts here as the preferred oil for my situation?

HDEO is generally 'diesel' oil.

15W-40 traditionally, but now it's expanded to 5W-40(synthetic), and some brands also have 10W-30, 10W-40, and even 0W-30 weights.

Originally Posted By: atc250r
Well, I can't find ANY HDEO 0W-30 in quart/liter bottles, so I'm gonna have to go with either German Castrol 0W-30, or Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. Just by shaking the bottles in the store, its clear that the PP is a much thinner oil. Shakes much like water at room temperature. So I guess German Castrol would get the nod from all the experts here as the preferred oil for my situation?

Generally speaking, you want to run a thinner oil in the Winter, especially in very cold temps. Given only those two choices, I'd use the PP. The GC would make an excellent Summer oil.

I'd recommend Petro-Canada Supreme 0W-30 if you can find it.

Well, it took me a decade of internet searching, e-mail and phone inquiries but I finally got my hands on some Chevron Delo 0W-30 which I have named "Yeti Blood." I call it this because I think more people have seen yetis than have seen this stuff.
grin.gif

I had to buy a case from my 'local' dealer. A case includes 3 4-qt. jugs. Here's one:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee149/BrorJace/Chevron_Delo_0W-30_large.jpg

Ya, just a couple quarts per change, but its running nearly all day, everyday. So a few changes over the course of the winter.

I use Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W30 (formerly known as Esso XD3 0W30) in my 2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost and all my outdoor power equipment (summer and winter). The cold weather properties are outstanding and I think it's fairly "robust" as it is a heavy duty engine oil. It's available at Esso bulk stations, $6.31 a litre in Regina. Outstanding synthetic oil (PAO) and what I'd use year round, without a doubt.

Last edited:
I buy mine at the Esso bulk station located at 1990 Inland Drive, literally two minutes north of Regina. I buy mine in 12x1 litre cases. I'm not sure if they sell individual 1 litre or 4 litre bottles. The box the oil comes in says "semi-synthetic" but the bottles themselves say synthetic, as does the spec sheet on Imperial Oil's website. I also called Imperial Oil, and they confirmed that the Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W30 is re-packaged Esso XD3 0W30. You can call them if you're in Regina, their number is 721-3776.

How about running Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20? Or should I not run a 0W-20 in an air cooled engine? Does it have high ZPPD and whatever else I need?

I'm sure the Pennzoil Platinum would be fine. At least you change and check your oil, unlike most guys I know who would run 10 year-old tar in -40 degree conditions.

For my outdoor equipment engines, I prefer a heavy duty engine oil with extra zinc, etc. My opinion is swayed by what I have read over the years on this site with regard to "best" oil for air cooled, hard working engines like my snow-blower, pressure washer, your welder, etc. The price of the Devlac 0W30 is outstanding, so it's a no-brainer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back