Best oil filter

WERE the best-then Fram abdicated the throne to Amsoil EaO and Royal Purple! First Brands decided profits were more important than building the best filter for a reasonable price! Unfortunately, that’s the last word…
Except the efficiency rating actually went up for the smaller microns on the ultras. The metal mesh backing isn’t the only thing that makes a filter great. I haven’t seen any failures on the new ones

I seen one that looked like warped crap
I’ve seen that on basically every filter before, including the old ultras. But feel free to point us to the new ones tearing. Because so haven’t seen any yet myself. So it’s a new design, more pleats, higher efficiency of even the smaller microns and people are just making issue over it missing the metal mesh backing. Even though vast majority don’t have them anyways

Any well built filter that has an efficiency of 95% or better at 20 microns, and that you don't mind paying the price for.

It may also depend on how many miles you plan on running the filter.

I am switching oils from Amsoil SS to Motul all 0W20 and would like to change from OEM Nissan filter. What is the general consensus as the best oil filter for a twin turbo 3.0 V6 of approximately 400 hp?
I'd think you need flow over filtering. Maybe a K&N.

I'd think you need flow over filtering. Maybe a K&N.
No such thing as flow over filtration - positive displacement oil pump ensures that. Many high efficiency oil filters flow better (meaning lower delta-p vs flow) than filters that are less efficient.

The filtering difference between 95% efficient versus 99% efficient is not going to make your engine last any longer. Changing it and the oil at the right time is what will make the difference.

Here I agree 100%. All of this talk about micron size and efficiency isn't going to amount to anything positive if you leave oil and filters in engines for 20,000 miles. As opposed to someone changing out both every 5,000, or 4 times as often.

I’ve seen that on basically every filter before, including the old ultras. But feel free to point us to the new ones tearing. Because so haven’t seen any yet myself. So it’s a new design, more pleats, higher efficiency of even the smaller microns and people are just making issue over it missing the metal mesh backing. Even though vast majority don’t have them anyways

I've can count the amount of First Branded Ultras I've seen cut open on one hand without even using my thumb. It MIGHT be an acceptable product as far as durability goes, however, there will need to be a greater abundance of evidence provided that instills more confidence in me to use them after my current stash of wire backed Ultras is gone.

OTOH we know that Royal Purple and Amsoil filters are a sure thing, all I'm saying is that in my mind the jury is still out on the new Fram Ultra so buyer beware. The Champ XL oil filter is arguably the best oil filter for the money IMHO.

Thats easy....Ayinger or Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen
Ayinger Celebrator!!

OP, buy oil filters from the dealer. Aftermarket oil filters such as Fram are not up to the task in many cases. I'm on several bimmer forums and we "old timers" tell the new to BMW owners of aftermarket oil filters disintegrating in the filter housing.

What makes an oil filter best in your mind?

Do you want the best efficiency? Best flow? Strongest can? What is the price point? Does it matter where you buy the filter? Does it matter where your filter is made?

Some people will say Fram Ultra is the best because it is high efficiency, some people will say Fram Extra Guard because they're a good value, some will say Supertech because they are afraid of fiber endcaps, some will say K&N because they want to have "racecar" parts on their wife's minivan.
I dont have a wife or minivan. Anyone here that will let me buy race car parts for their wifes sienna minivan ??
My girlfriend would rather be fed into a wood chipper than drive a minivan. She drives a bmw X 5 and she wont let me put parts on that either.

Ayinger Celebrator!!

OP, buy oil filters from the dealer. Aftermarket oil filters such as Fram are not up to the task in many cases. I'm on several bimmer forums and we "old timers" tell the new to BMW owners of aftermarket oil filters disintegrating in the filter housing.
I have a 325i 2.5 liter I6 in my old bmw. I use only mahle oil filters. I think i am using the correct stuff

Ahh...

It sure ain't off to a glowing start ..

And the real og Fram XG filters looked perfect... From the start.
I wouldn't totally judge it by just "looks". A few wavy pleats don't concern me. If they start showing signs of tearing, then the party is over. :cry:

Back